full spectrum lighting

Are you asking if it might provide sufficient UVB for a chameleon?
What brand and type is the light in question?
There are meters that measure the intensity of ultra violet rays.

-Brad

Last night at the South Bay Cham keepers meeting, Dave Weldon (that is his user name too) brought a UVB light tester. Pretty nifty, I suppose other forum members have one too.
You'd have to ask someone else about the details.

You can use a UVB meter, which is pricey. There is also an online guide. Zoo Med Repti Sun linear fluorescent bulbs are thought of as the best on the market and are available for a great price at LLLReptile.com. 5.0 is usually suggested for chams, though 10.0 is good if you are using a reptarium. The light only goes about 8 inches down so the cham should have ample access to it. The bulbs have a life of about 6-8 months and the general suggestion is to replace them every 6 to be safe. It is also really great to put your reptiles outside during warmer days so that they can bask in real sun- nothing compares to it and man cannot recreate nature. :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't personnely (sp?) trust it. . .but thats just me. . .what makes this light appealing to you anyway? why not just get a more generally accepted liner florecent (wow i really can't spell sorry:eek:)

No good, unless you pair it with a repti-sun 5.0 and are using it to add light and help the plants.
UVB lighting for reptiles is very specific. No plant or aquarium light will provide the necessary rays.

-Brad

I had a hunch that we are all just buying a brand name. Probably a good idea to go along with what works though. Does anyone find good use in ceramic heat elements?

I had a hunch that we are all just buying a brand name.

Nope.
Tested many times over by forum members as well as independent researchers and the companies themselves.
These lights are crucial.
Google or search here for Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD)

-Brad

I had a hunch that we are all just buying a brand name. Probably a good idea to go along with what works though. Does anyone find good use in ceramic heat elements?

Well your right and wrong in a way, there seems to be pretty strong evidence supporting the ReptiSun tube lights over all the others as in the guide that Ramsey gave the link to says. As far as ceramic heat elements go, you only need those if your in an area that allows your cage to drop below 65F at night, and if thats the case then definatly go w/ a ceramic heat lamp but don't overkill. What are your night time ambient temps in the cage?

Ceramic bulbs are only really useful if you have low night time temps (below 65 or so) because they will keep the air warm without drying it out, however, they are not useful for basking because chameleons have to see light to associate warmth. They won't feel the warmth of the ceramic bulb and then go "oh, I can bask for warmth here" Ceramic bulbs can also cause some nasty burns if they are not monitored via probe thermometer or a temp gun.

I am going to be right at 65 with out additional heat. I did buy a red heat bulb, but I am thinking that the blood red could be off putting. Does the wattage translate well from incandescents to ceramic?

I am going to be right at 65 with out additional heat. I did buy a red heat bulb, but I am thinking that the blood red could be off putting. Does the wattage translate well from incandescents to ceramic?

Hmmm. . .as far as wattages go im not too sure, but i'd say its okay to go w/out a heat source at night. The drop in temps help your cham get a good deep sleep, and unless it drops well below like in the 40's or 30's you should be okay if it drops a few degrees below 65F

The wattage should mean the same, however, always double check your temps before giving the cham access (and monitor from time to time)

I don't see a problem with a night temp of 65, honestly. I rarely use any extra heating at night and I know my home gets around there. If I am uncomfortable with the temp, I will turn a small space heater on (though this can dry out the room, I don't have a problem with it since natural humidity in my house is at least 50% at any given time and one space heater is more economic to heat all the room than a ceramic bulb for each cage)

I know some good keepers who use red light bulbs with success, however, I don't personally like them and have never used one. Chams CAN see the light, but adjust to it.

It is my belief that a temp drop into the mid sixties to mid seventies is very beneficial for chams- it puts them into deeper sleep and they rest better and are nice and alert upon waking. Just make sure that they have a good spot to warm up in the mornings so that they can establish a routine. Timers are great for this.

Honestly! one of the greatest things ever invented! i use a simple and cheap Brinks Mechanical timer. . .LOVE IT!!:D

Haha, I get mine at IKEA for $5 per two pack. They are fantastic. My whole house is automated now and I don't have to worry about it. If anyone wants some cheap but really nice timers, I am going to IKEA soon and would be happy to pick extras up and send them to you. Just PM me and we can set it up.

Back
Top Bottom