Parasite check without fecal sample

BryanP

Avid Member
I want to get my guy checked for parasites...

But

I can't seem to find any fresh sample. By the time I find it it's dry and won't be a viable sample.

Is it possible to get a broad spectrum parasite treatment or do I absolutely need a fecal first?

I feed my guy a lot and I feel like his fat pads are not as full as I'd like and I want to get ahead of any parasites since his enclosure and husbandry is on point

Thanks

I can't answer your question but I would not treat for parasites unless a fecal proved positive. Medicines are hard on the liver. When I need a fecal, I start over feeding 2 days prior to the exam to ensure I get a good fecal. My Vet allows me to bring the fecal prior to or after the visit. Im not charged for the fecal exam until I provide a sample.

October 2023, Carmelo was treated for Giardia. I'm still traumatized from administering him meds. He was doing death drops. I was crying, my husband was drinking margaritas - alot!

I want to get my guy checked for parasites...

But

I can't seem to find any fresh sample. By the time I find it it's dry and won't be a viable sample.

Is it possible to get a broad spectrum parasite treatment or do I absolutely need a fecal first?

I feed my guy a lot and I feel like his fat pads are not as full as I'd like and I want to get ahead of any parasites since his enclosure and husbandry is on point

Thanks
So you have to have the fecal sample. Not all parasites are treated with the same meds. And you do not want to medicate for something if it is not needed. These meds still impact their bodies.

My chameleon has a monstera leaf and that has always bee his toilet from day 1. He ever goes anywhere else. 😂 I hope your cham is okay.👍🏽💕
Thanks! He eats a ton and getting big but I just wish his fat pads were larger.

I've lost 2 other chameleons and the only thing I didn't do was frequent parasite checks so I just want to get ahead of any issues.

Thanks! He eats a ton and getting big but I just wish his fat pads were larger.

I've lost 2 other chameleons and the only thing I didn't do was frequent parasite checks so I just want to get ahead of any issues.
I do annual fecal checks along with an annual check up just to be established as a patient. Brcause I'm an established patient, I have access to emergency appointments.

Well I posted this back in January and I've been on the lookout ever since and I've not been able to find his pooping spot.

he has been getting more and more lethargic and has basically stopped eating regularly and only about 1x a week and only crickets so I'm making an appointment for the vet...
Hopefully they can give a broad spectrum antiparasitic and would at least give me a chance to get him some food and get him to start eating better.

I'll update once I know more.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Male panther, almost 1yr, hatched april/may 2023 amd picked him up July 2023

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
when feeding henused to RUN over to me when I opened the cage.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Fed dubias almost exclusively for the first 6 months, always ate as many as I could feed, then I started to add in BSFL and horn worms. Always gutloaded with bug burger. I'd add a patty of bug burger 2x a week to my dubia colony.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Acadia calcium pro daily and rapashy loD on the 1st and 15h

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Mist king at lights on 15sec, long mist of 4min at 9am, 15sec at 6pm, 15 sec at 9pm, 15sec 2am

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
When I could find them they looked well formed and nothing abnormal

Cage Info:
Cage Type - hybrid style zen habit style (DIY)
Lighting:
Acadia Forrest 6% dwelling checked with UV meter every 2 months

75watt basking with PID thermostat. Double measured with govee temp gauge. 82 deg at the hottest point.
Led plant light
2x2x4

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
82 at basking (PID controlled)
low 60s overnight
Measured with 2 separate govee thermometers

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Mid 60%'s as measured with Govee

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Live plants, monstera and Pathos

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Located in main living area in a corner. 3 of the 4 sides are solid amd can not see through them.

Location - Where are you geographically located?
California.

Last edited:
1000007323.jpg
1000007324.jpg

Please elaborate on this... Does this mean you are using the shadedweller bulbs? If so this is totally wrong for a cham.
1000007325.jpg

My mistake... I was posting that list from memory... I'll try to edit but it may be too late.

I measured like 3.2uvi when new and it's been going down but now is 2.3.

View attachment 353543

My mistake... I was posting that list from memory... I'll try to edit but it may be too late.

I measured like 3.2uvi when new and it's been going down but now is 2.3.
Oh ok I was so worried lol. The shadedweller bulbs have a much lower UVA level which is why they just do not work for chameleons.

Is that a 2.3 at his back or at the branch right below the fixture?

Also you have a lot of plant growth. Is this growing over his branches to bask on the top or are they fully exposed to the lighting above?

Back
Top Bottom