First viv for R.temporalis

MiniCham3

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to get some feedback on my first viv for a male R.temporalis.

I have a layer of hydroballs on the bottom, then a layer of mesh, then coconut fiber. I've added some plants, a vine, and some sticks for him to climb on an explore.

I'm going to add some leaf litter next because I've read that many people use that in their enclosures.

I'd love some feed back on how it looks so far! I want my little guy, Gizmo, to have everything he needs!

Thanks so much! :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_3592.jpg
    IMG_3592.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_3593.jpg
    IMG_3593.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_3594.jpg
    IMG_3594.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 212
Looks great!!! you should add some java moss it would look nice

Definitely not "great"... It's a good start, but it needs more imo.

To start, remove the water bowl. Chameleons don't drink from standing water, but from water droplets from misting a few times daily.

Second, add more foliage. It will help them feel more secure, and in return you may see them more often because of that.

Do you have any suggestions for other plants? I've been trying to choose things that will support his weight if he walks on them.

Not too familiar with my plants but you'll want a nice bushy one in the middle somewhere and ditch the water bowl. Have you added any spring tails or pill bugs?

Do you have any suggestions for other plants? I've been trying to choose things that will support his weight if he walks on them.

Try black jungle terrarium supply online. They have a wide variety of plants that would support a pygmy terrarium.
Also as chameleoman said, you may want to seed it with springtails/isopods(also available at black jungle, and various other places), to help aid in the breakdown of droppings and dead plant matter. Which also can help prevent mold and fungus from growing in the terrarium. Not to mention a occasional snack for it's inhabitants as well.

I used Pothos in my pygmy cages. It's grows pretty fast and will support the weight of a temporalis easily. You could add a few thin twigs at various levels for climbing until the plants grow in.

Replace the water in that dish with some fruit or veggies. That will attract the feeder insects you throw in and it will turn into a mini feeding station.

Those are great suggestions! Thank you for your help everyone! I've been reading that adding spring tails/pillbugs/isopods is really helpful, but I didn't know where to get them. Now that I know I'll be placing an order with Black Jungle today!! :D

I love seeing Pygmy terrariums. On black jungle you should get some creeping fig any some fern bushes. They both do great in high humidity and will fill in within a year. More twigs should be added too...a lot. Once you get spring tails get some live oak or magnolia leaves to cover your current substrate. Keep us updated!

I've actually got a creeping fig sitting outside that I purchased this weekend! That will be a great addition to his house. Is there another website other than Black Jungle that's reputable for buying the little bugs? They're out right now :(

I used NEherpoculture, they have great plants and have springtails for a reasonable price. They also have wonderful service, I find that Josh's frogs sells springtails in to large of a quantity but that's just me. So try NEherpoculture because they have everything vivarium.

Back
Top Bottom