My First Setup

Wouldn’t it be great if the experienced keepers on here posted a pic of their first enclosure and pointed out all the bad things we did wrong?

Here’s mine:

Medium Reptibreeze - Recommended by Petco

Substrate tray full of coco fiber - You know, to clump up the the poops for easy pickup….like kitty litter.

Random plastic plants providing almost no cover and zero humidity - check

A metal dog bowl on the bottom to catch water drops and a plastic plant in there for added bacteria - check

Fake vines covered in particulate/choking hazards - check

Hot steam humidifier right next to the cage - Because who doesn’t like giving animals respiratory issues?

Heat bulb with wattage way to high for thermal burns - check

Cham from Petco on an impulse buy - check

Placing an enclosure by a drafty window on the east side of our home that gets lots of morning sunlight - check

No drainage solution - check
OH NO!!!!

I guess I'm lucky (ish) I found Neptune the chameleon when I first wanted a chameleon (Thanks to the help of my dad) got the correct UVB, cage size, plants. But Supplements, the type of basking light I had, and Food was where I went wrong. Pascal, (My first cham) Passed away two months after I got him, I had taken him to the vet a week before, but not very much help. His eye got very large and swollen, they took $95 and sent us with advice on where to buy mealworms. That was the only thing I fed him.

Here is him when I got him.
View attachment 350281
Had to take him to the vet due to a eye issue. They had a Skunk and hairless cats EVERYWHER. Yuck if you ask me.
View attachment 350282
He passed a week later, and I DEEP cleaned EVERYTHING, A few moths later, I got Sherbert. This is the day before getting him.

View attachment 350285
Thanks to the forum, Chameleon Academy and Neptune the chameleon. I have changed a lot of things and Sherbert is doing amazing!
Your cat is SO CUTE!!! Neptune and Chameleon Academy helped a LOT for me!!!

Since I spent 2 years researching for a chameleon, this was my first enclosure:
unnamed (15).jpg

I still hate it to this day

I was one of the fortunate ones who was able to research before my 1st cham chose me as his human ( hahaha). I joined the forum and lurked for 2 months on top of watching Neptune the Chameleon on you tube, Bill strand podcasts from Chameleon Academy and reading chameleon academy websites. I had a good start but still tweaking to this day. It’s always a work in progress.

Attachments

• IMG_0874.jpeg
    IMG_0874.jpeg
    266.6 KB · Views: 15
I was one of the fortunate ones who was able to research before my 1st cham chose me as his human ( hahaha). I joined the forum and lurked for 2 months on top of watching Neptune the Chameleon on you tube, Bill strand podcasts from Chameleon Academy and reading chameleon academy websites. I had a good start but still tweaking to this day. It’s always a work in progress.
That is a really nice first setup!

That is a really nice first setup!
Thanks so much! In all honesty joining this forum before buying was the best thing I did. If I did not lurk here for a few months to learn from others mistakes and find great resources I too sadly would have fallen victim to the pet store death trap. I almost impulse bought and said wait a second, a pet store is like a shelter so bare minimum is usually all they get. Jumped on here and began my adventure. I’ve wanted one since a teenager but knew they were difficult so waited til I was ready ready. 😊

Thanks so much! In all honesty joining this forum before buying was the best thing I did. If I did not lurk here for a few months to learn from others mistakes and find great resources I too sadly would have fallen victim to the pet store death trap. I almost impulse bought and said wait a second, a pet store is like a shelter so bare minimum is usually all they get. Jumped on here and began my adventure. I’ve wanted one since a teenager but knew they were difficult so waited til I was ready ready. 😊
That is very smart!! If only some people could do what you did and researched before you for your chameleon!!!

My first setup took 4 months of thorough research and setup and I need up with this as the final product.

T5 Linear HO UVB (Arcadia)
Jungle Dawn (Arcadia)
Reptizoo heat lamp deep dome
60 watt exo terra bulb (lifted off the cage)
*Leap mister
*Reptizoo fogger
I do the dripper
3 live pothos
1 live Monstera
2 Live banana plants
Oak tree branches (washed and filed down) from my backyard
Hand made dragon ledges
Drainage bucket with a pvc pipe through my table
2 foot table
2x2x4 Reptizoo enclosure
Custom background (still got to put in)
Window shrink wrap (already installed)

*my mister and foggers are always on on the meter things on the unit but I have them plugged into a smart timer that I control everything and with that they go on at the needed times not the times only the unit gives me to choose from. Kinda like a Mistking but with the leap mister on good times.

Attachments

• 0DD5D7CA-C4F9-4D36-A0D7-2080113DAD1D.jpeg
    0DD5D7CA-C4F9-4D36-A0D7-2080113DAD1D.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 3A009E01-16D2-42F2-A7CC-74C1E0ABBE7A.jpeg
    3A009E01-16D2-42F2-A7CC-74C1E0ABBE7A.jpeg
    542.8 KB · Views: 11
  • BB97571D-7BBB-4C15-9133-171EBD4FE598.jpeg
    BB97571D-7BBB-4C15-9133-171EBD4FE598.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 13
  • E435A3E2-C4AF-4AA9-AFF2-1D7BDD6B271D.jpeg
    E435A3E2-C4AF-4AA9-AFF2-1D7BDD6B271D.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 15
I got pastel in 2020 for her first setup There was a 15 gallon tank coil UVB light some fake plants and some branches all recommended my Petco

Attachments

• IMG_0174.jpeg
    IMG_0174.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 13
Yep. They usually the case. They aren’t really that dependent on creatures like chameleons sadly. 😔
But I am glad that several people have corrected their husbandry and made them better and healthier. 🙂

I don’t have any photos of my chams original set up but I bought the infamous death kit and my Cham impulsively at petsmart she was maybe 2 months old. I was given the chameleon petsmart classic, I realized everything was junk that they told me to buy two weeks later after watching Neptune The Chameleon. I went out the next day and drained my bank account half the stuff I bought was junk and more impulsive decisions, I purchased a linear UVB fixture with 5.0 reptisun, a reptifogger(junk I returned the first one then the second broke in the first hour of use so now I use a no filter Vicks), a thrive pump sprayer, a thrive reptile waterfall(junk it accumulates bacteria), a thrive misting machine(junk it broke in the first month of use) I bought an $80 ficus Altissima(junk and possibly toxic she hasn’t ever chewed the plant that I’ve seen, I still have this in the enclosure I am purchasing a pothos Friday) Shortly after all of this my Cham stopped basking and developed eye problems. I took my Cham to the vet paid $110 more I was told she was a he and that he was completely healthy(the information was inaccurate Iris is a female and Iris wasn’t completely healthy all her tests including fecal checked out but this forum let me know we had incorrect husbandry, the vet told me my husbandry was fine) I realized the heat bulb from the death kit was colored and my Cham wasn’t basking because it was burning her eyes so I went out again and bought a deep dome fixture + a 60w exoterria incandescent bulb. She instantly basked as soon as it was installed and has since loved it.
I dumped about $800 into Iris and I’m about to dump another $1000 for her this week to have the top of the line set up.

Me and especially Iris had a really rough time getting her situated with a healthy environment.

I like to believe this forum saved Iris’s life so now I try to give back all the extra time and effort I have to this forum to be an active member and help others having issues with their chameleons.

I don’t have any photos of my chams original set up but I bought the infamous death kit and my Cham impulsively at petsmart she was maybe 2 months old. I was given the chameleon petsmart classic, I realized everything was junk that they told me to buy two weeks later after watching Neptune The Chameleon. I went out the next day and drained my bank account half the stuff I bought was junk and more impulsive decisions, I purchased a linear UVB fixture with 5.0 reptisun, a reptifogger(junk I returned the first one then the second broke in the first hour of use so now I use a no filter Vicks), a thrive pump sprayer, a thrive reptile waterfall(junk it accumulates bacteria), a thrive misting machine(junk it broke in the first month of use) I bought an $80 ficus Altissima(junk and possibly toxic she hasn’t ever chewed the plant that I’ve seen, I still have this in the enclosure I am purchasing a pothos Friday) Shortly after all of this my Cham stopped basking and developed eye problems. I took my Cham to the vet paid $110 more I was told she was a he and that he was completely healthy(the information was inaccurate Iris is a female and Iris wasn’t completely healthy all her tests including fecal checked out but this forum let me know we had incorrect husbandry, the vet told me my husbandry was fine) I realized the heat bulb from the death kit was colored and my Cham wasn’t basking because it was burning her eyes so I went out again and bought a deep dome fixture + a 60w exoterria incandescent bulb. She instantly basked as soon as it was installed and has since loved it.
I dumped about $800 into Iris and I’m about to dump another $1000 for her this week to have the top of the line set up.

Me and especially Iris had a really rough time getting her situated with a healthy environment.

I like to believe this forum saved Iris’s life so now I try to give back all the extra time and effort I have to this forum to be an active member and help others having issues with their chameleons.
My first Vet said Carmelo was a female. We changed the name to Camela. Found this forum and found out Camela was actually a male. Changed the name back to Carmelo. FYI - The Vet is also the Vet for our huge local zoo. Go figure! That's why it's important to have a Cham knowledgeable Vet. I now have 2 Vet's. A general vet with a bit of Cham knowledge and he consults my exotic Vet and a exotic Vet for things above the general Vet's scope. The good news is that they collaborate on Carmelo's care.

I feel you when you say this forum saved Iris’s life. Spaghetti was on the way out when I got him and I didn’t even realize it. I feel like I owe so much to this forum. I’m just at a year into this and I still have so much to learn. It’s so hard to find groups where everyone is nice and welcoming and won’t judge you. It really is a special place here ❤️

My first Vet said Carmelo was a female. We changed the name to Camela. Found this forum and found out Camela was actually a male. Changed the name back to Carmelo. FYI - The Vet is also the Vet for our huge local zoo. Go figure! That's why it's important to have a Cham knowledgeable Vet. I now have 2 Vet's. A general vet with a bit of Cham knowledge and he consults my exotic Vet and an exotic Vet for things above the general Vet's scope. The good news is that they collaborate on Carmelo's care.
I took my Cham to an actual animal hospital in Bloomington Indiana it’s one of the “best” local animal hospitals we have it’s been in business for 10+ years. I would name the company but I’m sure they would get some unhappy calls from the internet if I did. I’m sure they are “qualified” and our vet supposedly had reptile experience but I know for a fact our vet had never owned a chameleon. A keeper will usually have better knowledge on chameleons than your local vet sadly. They did do the necessary testing needed to make sure she had nothing deeply wrong with her which was great to know though. I was still given incorrect care advice from our vet and I was even told basking temps should between 85-95 😳. I took all the info in that I could from this forum and stopped listening to google and went against what was recommended by the vet her basking temps are never higher than 80 and miraculously Iris is now healthy and happy.

BTW Iris is very social, she lives in my bedroom and I built up to handling her by motivating her with hornworms. She loves to come out of her enclosure she runs to my hand and never changes from her neutral green. Iris hasn’t even ever hissed or gaped at me not once. I respect her area because it’s hers and I don’t intrude she has to come to me if she wants treats or attention.

Also ignore my ugly thumb, it was destroyed in a gun violence incident.

Attachments

• IMG_0355.jpeg
    IMG_0355.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0352.jpeg
    IMG_0352.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0348.jpeg
    IMG_0348.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0346.jpeg
    IMG_0346.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0345.jpeg
    IMG_0345.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0344.jpeg
    IMG_0344.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0324.jpeg
    IMG_0324.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I took my Cham to an actual animal hospital in Bloomington Indiana it’s one of the “best” local animal hospitals we have it’s been in business for 10+ years. I would name the company but I’m sure they would get some unhappy calls from the internet if I did. I’m sure they are “qualified” and our vet supposedly had reptile experience but I know for a fact our vet had never owned a chameleon. A keeper will usually have better knowledge on chameleons than your local vet sadly. They did do the necessary testing needed to make sure she had nothing deeply wrong with her which was great to know though. I was still given incorrect care advice from our vet and I was even told basking temps should between 85-95 😳. I took all the info in that I could from this forum and stopped listening to google and went against what was recommended by the vet her basking temps are never higher than 80 and miraculously Iris is now healthy and happy.
My exotic Vet gave me handouts from CF for husbandry advice and she actually owned a Chameleon. My general vet is cheaper and does the basic Vet stuff. My exotic Vet does xrays, blood work and surgery if needed. I think i got lucky in the Vet department. My general Vet charges 35.00 for a fecal. The exotic Vet charges 65.00.

BTW Iris is very social, she lives in my bedroom and I built up to handling her by motivating her with hornworms. She loves to come out of her enclosure she runs to my hand and never changes from her neutral green. Iris hasn’t even ever hissed or gaped at me not once. I respect her area because it’s hers and I don’t intrude she has to come to me if she wants treats or attention.

Also ignore my ugly thumb, it was destroyed in a gun violence incident.
She's so sweet! 🥰

Back
Top Bottom