First successful free range bioactive egg laying

I think she would react, she takes all the effort for camouflaging the “eggs”, that I can’t image she won’t. However, the reason I don’t know is, I always take her away, out of sight, before I dig them up.
Fair enough! Just a general question.

Almost exactly one year and 3 clutches later, she started today once again. She´s pretty consisted with 4 months in between, the first 3 clutches with 1 day difference and now 4 days earlier then the other 3 times. Yesterday we gave her, her privacy curtain and today she´s started digging (a few hours later then normal).

12.jpg

First of all thanks everyone for your tips and tools, very grateful for it.

Sooo relieved, happy, excited and very proud my little girl!

Finally after 2 weeks nail biting horror, she finally, successfully, laid her first clutch of eggs.

She stopped 2 weeks ago with eating (did had a few bugs) and escaped continuously out of her enclosure, roaming around our living room like crazy. At that point I know (after reading, many threads regarding egg laying) she was ready for it, with the hope she would lay in the bioactive soil. After few days of privacy and no interest in digging, I made an extra accessible laying bin with privacy outside the free range enclosure. Still after days of no interest in both options and just roaming around and sleeping at different spots at night (no normal behavior), I removed some leaves from the soil and dug a small hole in the bioactive soil. Still no interest for days! Yesterday we removed the privacy part from the free range planter and with the intent to make an vet appointment because she could be getting eggbound, suddenly a miracle happened.

She started yesterday early morning with digging in the hole I made for her, by the evening she stopped and stayed overnight in her hole. This morning she started digging again and by the time I came home, the hole was closed and fully covered with leaves again, just like it always was. And the misses, sitting skinny, wrinkled under her basking spot, like nothing happened. What a relief it finally happened and so happy she used the bioactive soil and that without any privacy.

Just thought I wanted to share it with you, because it aren’t the typical circumstances. Free range, bioactive and no privacy.

View attachment 301571
During.........

View attachment 301572
After.......

View attachment 301573Bella after.......

Sorry, better pics weren’t possible.
Awwwe look at her thabknyou so much for sharing also about a week ago i noticed her nexk seemed to be puffed up all the time she is very social and the minute i walk by her tree shes trying to grab on to me and usually likes to raom my neck and shoulders i not I ced her neck seemed to be piffy when i touched it felt like air but seemed harder in the center hasnt seemed to bother her but im concerned it isnt normal any idea what it is im most likely going to take her to the vet to rule out infection

My girl always gets an gular edema (puffed area around her neck) a prior to the egg laying and disappears a few days after she laid her eggs. That’s now my indicator she’s getting close to laying.

Here it’s pretty noticeable, at least for me.

05FE4EF1-C74F-4F4E-B8B4-B8ABC455DC2B.jpeg

So would it still be a free range it I put a 18 inch high barrier. Have an area that's 6x8 where wood stove used to be. It's like a half a oval shape that is 12 inches high. Was just going to use pvc because I use pvc for everything. To make a 18 inch high barrier to keep cham in area is that still considered free range or would that still be cage

So would it still be a free range it I put a 18 inch high barrier. Have an area that's 6x8 where wood stove used to be. It's like a half a oval shape that is 12 inches high. Was just going to use pvc because I use pvc for everything. To make a 18 inch high barrier to keep cham in area is that still considered free range or would that still be cage
IMHO opinion it’s! As long as they don’t have anything around/above them, I think they’ll get that free range feeling. For them it’s all about that free tree crown, I think 😌

Back
Top Bottom