first scorp!

bigeaters101

So i have spread my horizons past herps and mammals for the first time today. Yesterday i let my snapper free after 5+yrs of raising him, so being kinda bummed and down i got myself a new friend. Its a rusty red, aka red thick tail. Good size no age or sex but is bicolored with a black tail. If anyone else has experience with scorps and is willing to guide me/give me advice id be all ears.

Attachments

• CAM00274.jpg
    CAM00274.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 175
Do you know what the little guy's scientific name is? I kinda wanna say he's either a Babycurus sp. or a North American bark scorpion of some sort-either way you'll want to be careful around him since they can pack a bit of a punch.

Edit: He might be a Parabuthus liosoma, in which case you need to be extremely careful. I don't want to freak you out, as I'm not sure about the exact species, but I just don't want anything bad to happen!

He's beautiful! Not sure of the breed though haha sorry. If it's anything like a emperor you can tell the sex by looking at his stomach. If you look under its stomach you'll see little limbs that look kinda like fins called the pectines and a plate above that called the genital opereulum. If the plate has a split, its a boy!
Saddly mine passed away last year when I went out of state and a friend was watching over him): His name was Serquet! I've debated getting another after I move out and my fiance and I settle down<3 (I think I'm driving him a little insane with my love of non furry animals haha)
This was my little guy!

Attachments

• IMG_20130315_154537.jpg
    IMG_20130315_154537.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 160
Thanks for the info! I never knew how to sex one! And they are beautiful animals, they command such a presence so awesome. Here's a close up pic

Attachments

• CAM00283.jpg
    CAM00283.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 118
I wanna say you can sex B. jacksoni by looking at the pincers. The base of the pincers will be more swollen in males and more slender in females.

I have been into invertebrates for years. I have several very hot scorpions right now and many very cool spiders. A very good forum for both if you happen to get into it is arachnoboards. There is a lot of good info available for your new addition.

Back
Top Bottom