Fff...... :(

lisagr07

Avid Member
my husbands flightless fruitflies for his poison dart frog are flying all over the place!!!!!!!!!!
are they converting back!!!!!!!!!! did they figure out what their wings are for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
how do we control them, any suggestions?????

my husbands flightless fruitflies for his poison dart frog are flying all over the place!!!!!!!!!!
are they converting back!!!!!!!!!! did they figure out what their wings are for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
how do we control them, any suggestions?????

cup, apple cider vinegar, plastic wrap the top and poke some holes in it. Works 60% of the time, ever time.

Have fun with them for awhile till they die ;) This happens to us in the fall when my mom cans fruits. mainly peaches.. They are EVERYWHERE for awhile till they all die

I was thinking of getting Dart Frogs next year. Didn't know flightless fruit flies could actually start flying ! Gonna have to reconsider, I cannot have flies flying around :eek:

Have fun with them for awhile till they die ;) This happens to us in the fall when my mom cans fruits. mainly peaches.. They are EVERYWHERE for awhile till they all die

yeah, but when these die,,, there will just be more!!!!!! my cat cant catch them all,,, though he tries!!!!! ;)

The apple cider vinegar trick works pretty good, any vinegar will work. They don't live long and will disperse if there is no rotten fruit for them to breed in laying about.

They don't carry disease (especially captive ones), don't eat much, and all you have to do is hide or throw away any fruit / vegetables laying around...

Oh half full bottles of wine left open also make great traps. They seem to prefer white wines. I kept one on top of the fridge for several months. Dump it out (or drink it if you want but I bought cheap wine for the purpose) so the wine level is hidden behind the label to hide all the carcasses. I doesn't stink like vinegar and looks more at home on top of a fridge than some nasty jar of vinegar or other FF trap.

Last edited:
I was thinking of getting Dart Frogs next year. Didn't know flightless fruit flies could actually start flying ! Gonna have to reconsider, I cannot have flies flying around :eek:

my thoughts exactly!!!!!! they are soooo annoying!!!! grrrrr!!!!!

The apple cider vinegar trick works pretty good, any vinegar will work. They don't live long and will disperse if there is no rotten fruit for them to breed in laying about.

They don't carry disease (especially captive ones), don't eat much, and all you have to do is hide or throw away any fruit / vegetables laying around...

Oh half full bottles of wine left open also make great traps. They seem to prefer white wines. I kept one on top of the fridge for several months. Dump it out (or drink it if you want but I bought cheap wine for the purpose) so the wine level is hidden behind the label to hide all the carcasses. I doesn't stink like vinegar and looks more at home on top of a fridge than some nasty jar of vinegar or other FF trap.

thanks DanSB... i am a wine enthusiast myself.... the flys will definitely get the cheap stuff!!!!! :)

that usually happens when a regular fruit fly sneaks into a colony of "flightless". It only takes one flier to ruin an entire colony. This only happened to me once in all the 10 years i've had dart frogs (and culturing fruit flies) :D I notice that they're attracted to soda. Leave half empty glasses of coke or pepsi around, or get some sticky traps and use a slice of banana as bait.

that usually happens when a regular fruit fly sneaks into a colony of "flightless". It only takes one flier to ruin an entire colony. This only happened to me once in all the 10 years i've had dart frogs (and culturing fruit flies) :D I notice that they're attracted to soda. Leave half empty glasses of coke or pepsi around, or get some sticky traps and use a slice of banana as bait.

well,,, evidently, one slipped in!!!!!!! :mad: my husband wants to get the sticky fly tapes but they are soo ugly!!!! im going to try the soda/wine/cider vinegar approach!!!!!
thanks

well,,, evidently, one slipped in!!!!!!! :mad: my husband wants to get the sticky fly tapes but they are soo ugly!!!! im going to try the soda/wine/cider vinegar approach!!!!!
thanks

Those sticky tapes work pretty well actually. I once had bunch of flies show up with crickets. Some tape in the cricket container did the trick for me.

Also i didnt know about the vinegar trick but what i did was that i took an empty dasani water bottle, put some orange slices in there (crickets gut load stash) and made a paper funnel and stuck it into the bottle top. After a couple days, the flies would go in there and wouldnt be able to get out.

My mom used to have this problem in the fall. She would just use her vacuum, and use the hose without any attachments. If you have kids they will love doing this - just suck them all up and dump them outside (they flies, not the kids...) :D

Back
Top Bottom