Females back legs are not moving

Minihuey

Established Member
Hey guys,

Today, I found my female veiled lying at the bottom of her 6 foot cage. It seems her back legs are not moving. Also her back is brown while her front half is green.

Can anyone help diagnose this problem? What should I do and what the heck is wrong with my baby Aegean?

Oh!

Her name is Aegean. She is about 8 months old and is a little longer than seven inches with tail extended.

I will keep you update if she somehow knocks herself out of it.

Thanks!

Also, I have included some pictures of her.

Could she have fallen? Help us help you by filling out this form.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

Thanks for the reply

here is the info you requested

Cage Info:
1.Cage Type - Converted bird cage (Screen) 6'x2'x2'
2. Lighting - I have a UVB light with a 75 basking lamp towards the top
3. Temperature - Top of the Cage is 100 degrees for basking and cage floor is room temperature which rages from 68-75 degrees

4.Humidity - Humidity is 50 percent
5.Placement - In the patio with low traffic
6.Location - Located in San Leandro, CA

Chameleon Info:
1.Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Female, 8 or 9 months old.
2. Handling - Handle her very rarely like once every 2 weeks
3. Feeding - Superworms and crickets, gut loaded with oatmeal and carrots
4. Supplements - Zoo Med Repti calcium with D3 and Rep-cal Multivitamin. Dust her food every other feeding which is every other day
5. Watering - Hand Spray. Everyday and female will go up to spray and drink it. I continue to let her drink till she walks away.

6.Chameleon has never been to vet.

7.History - Aegean has never had a problem. She has always seemed to be the strongest of all 3 of mine.

Current Problem - Her back legs do not seem to be working. They are very tense and also the back half of her body is brown. she Sits on the ground all day.

She could possibly be eggbound. I do not have an egg laying container set up for her because I did not think she was old enough. I suppose I shall go make one.

I have been researching a lot on that whole eggbound curse but it seems all sources have mixed reviews. They all say I should noticed my female moving about the bottom of the cage but she has not been doing anything out of the ordinary.

100 for basking is way to hot.

You also need plain calcium for dusting at just about every feeding. Calcium with d3 only twice a month and the multi once a month.

I agree she could be egg bound.....at those temps she could have eggs.

Is San Leandro close to LA? There are allot of good chameleon vet in CA.

San Leandro is in the San Francisco Bay.

Thanks for the insight about the calcium and multivitamin. The local reptile store owner said it had to be every feeding with the D3 and vitamins but I shall adjust accordingly.

I read on here to do a half sand half/ organic soil, that is damp enough to make a tunnel that holds up......I have never owned a female so you might want to wait for a senior member to answer you. I think you should take her to the vet asap jannb posted a vet link for u

You didnt answer about if shes pooped lately and mentiond shes eating lots of crickets?
Has she been drinking? can you describe the poop if any? What size were the crickets?

I ask these questions because sudden loss of rear limb function/paralysis is a common sign of impaction in many lizard species. This also needs to be investigated. Best advice given was to see a vet.

I hope she recovers, best wishes. :)

I have not noticed if she pooped in the past week. She usually poops in her food dish and for that reason I took it out so I cannot tell.

Back
Top Bottom