Should I keep my old panther chameleon in a 3ft tall enclosure or move her to a 3ft long enclosure?

Hi, for a bit of history. Last November I was given an old chameleon with mbd and was told she only had 6 months left to live. When I got her she couldn't climb/grip very well and wasn't eating much unless I forced her, I had to put critical care in her water and calcium on her bugs to give her a boost.

After a couple of months she was climbing and eating like nothing was wrong which was amazing. 11 months later she's still alive and loves running around my bedroom floor (with supervision) but lately she's back to little to no climbing and has started to fall when she does climb. Thankfully she's still eating really well so that's no longer an issue.

My worry is that if she makes it to the top of her enclosure and falls she could really hurt herself. So would it be better to keep her in her taller enclosure or should I move her over to a 3ft long enclosure instead? If I moved her she wouldn't have as far to fall, she'll still be able to move around without risk of injury and she'd be able to bask better.

Thank you in advance x

Hi welcome to the forum. Can you post a few pics of her? Has she laid eggs will with you?

Hi welcome to the forum. Can you post a few pics of her? Has she laid eggs will with you?
The first 4 pics are of when I first got her, she was greyish at first but after 2 weeks she turned more of a pinky colour. She hasn't had any eggs while with me.

Attachments

• IMG_20221118_152056.jpg
    IMG_20221118_152056.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20221118_152038.jpg
    IMG_20221118_152038.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20221118_152107.jpg
    IMG_20221118_152107.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20230107_174520.jpg
    IMG_20230107_174520.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20231018_140054.jpg
    Screenshot_20231018_140054.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20231018_140045.jpg
    Screenshot_20231018_140045.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 29
The swelling in the arms is that new? They are extremely thick... My concern would be possibly gout. Also is her lower lip always pushed out exposed like that? I can not tell if maybe she just ate or if she has a case of mouth rot going.

Personally if she is falling then a rework of the cage would be best. Even if you can turn the cage on its side this will make it a reduced space she could fall and hurt herself.

May I see the current set up she is in including the lighting on top?

Chams seem to stay at one level during the day, so a long cage wouldnt be an issue. Some folks also put in towels etc that are washable for geriatric chams that tend to fall.

The swelling in the arms is that new? They are extremely thick... My concern would be possibly gout. Also is her lower lip always pushed out exposed like that? I can not tell if maybe she just ate or if she has a case of mouth rot going.

Personally if she is falling then a rework of the cage would be best. Even if you can turn the cage on its side this will make it a reduced space she could fall and hurt herself.

May I see the current set up she is in including the lighting on top?
Swollen arms have always been like that and her lip was like that during the first few months I had her but has gone back to normal thankfully.

I've reorganized the stuff in her enclosure quite a few times but she always finds a way to fall so because I have a spare enclosure available I was considering just moving her over.

I don't currently have a picture of her enclosure but it's 3ft tall by 2ft by 2ft. It has an arcadia uvb strip light and a heat bulb in a dome on a thermostat. She has multiple levels to sit on with easy access up and down and lots of foliage to hide behind.

Swollen arms have always been like that and her lip was like that during the first few months I had her but has gone back to normal thankfully.

I've reorganized the stuff in her enclosure quite a few times but she always finds a way to fall so because I have a spare enclosure available I was considering just moving her over.

I don't currently have a picture of her enclosure but it's 3ft tall by 2ft by 2ft. It has an arcadia uvb strip light and a heat bulb in a dome on a thermostat. She has multiple levels to sit on with easy access up and down and lots of foliage to hide behind.
So my bet here is she has more going on than old age. Just based of the swelling in the limbs.

I would go ahead and flip the cage on its side then. If you have the arcadia UVB and a 6% bulb you want a total distance of 8-9 inches between the bottom of the UVB and the branches below it. This will put her in the right UVI levle.

So my bet here is she has more going on than old age. Just based of the swelling in the limbs.

I would go ahead and flip the cage on its side then. If you have the arcadia UVB and a 6% bulb you want a total distance of 8-9 inches between the bottom of the UVB and the branches below it. This will put her in the right UVI levle.
Okay, thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Okay, thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.
no problem at all.

This way if the cage has a hight of 24 inches laying on its side. The first 8-9 inches down are going to be without branches to accommodate lighting. That only leaves 15-16 inches of space below those branches for her to move around and lessens the fall. I would put branches closer together so she has a way to always grab on to something with her limbs or tail. Then fill in with live plants.

Back
Top Bottom