Facebook Groups Make Me ANGRY!!!

Gotta disagree a little with you here my friend, misting is no more unnatural than ultrasonic foggers. Just because chams aren't regularly misted in the wild doesn't mean it doesn't benefit them. I don't know of anyone that has killed a cham with misting, even if the cham doesn't like it, which IME most do once they realize it's just water. I look at it as, the chance of RI with a fogger is so much higher than a mister causing physical harm. Plenty of unnatural things extend our lifespans and plenty of natural things kill us.

Not to say I have a problem with foggers, but idk if they should be the first go-to.
Yes, I should have worded it more precisely. I mean as far as looking at the whole husbandry picture. Some will utilize misting as a way to increase humidity however when you use this and are constantly having your mister go off to get the humidity up while having the heat from the lights and not allowing the cage to dry out it becomes a situation where you can over do it. Or some will not take into account that they have a high natural humidity level and think they still need to mist constantly throughout the day. Same thing this can up the humidity levels far too high and in turn over do it with the heat from the lights. Potential for RI with the overmisting and the heat along with bacteria growth on branches from it not drying out.

The truth is that one way does not fit every person's needs. You have to look at everything from where you live to the species. Instead of a blanket concept of 2 minutes every 3-4 hours.

It’s funny you say this because I had one vet that told me I over mist and one vet telling me you can never over mist. It seems like just a matter of opinion and what works best for your situation. It doesn’t help that ppl are still learning about chameleons and trying to get rid of old misconceptions. As keepers we should always have an open mind on care for our little ones and not let our human instinct get in the way for our care

Yeah, I mean there are different ways to go about it. To somebody that is consistent with keeping the fogger clean and knows a lot about proper hydration, I have no problem! I just think misting is more fool-proof. For the average person who wants to do just enough to have a healthy animal, I'd rather them just worry about misting enough. It won't hurt and the chameleon will be healthy. I'll admit, being from a humid climate, I overlook the humidity a lot. It'a not much of a concern for me when we regularly reach almost %100 at night outside and 50-60 inside at times.

Yes, I should have worded it more precisely. I mean as far as looking at the whole husbandry picture. Some will utilize misting as a way to increase humidity however when you use this and are constantly having your mister go off to get the humidity up while having the heat from the lights and not allowing the cage to dry out it becomes a situation where you can over do it. Or some will not take into account that they have a high natural humidity level and think they still need to mist constantly throughout the day. Same thing this can up the humidity levels far too high and in turn over do it with the heat from the lights. Potential for RI with the overmisting and the heat along with bacteria growth on branches from it not drying out.

The truth is that one way does not fit every person's needs. You have to look at everything from where you live to the species. Instead of a blanket concept of 2 minutes every 3-4 hours.
That is the problem with not having background information beforehand all situations are different.
While I agree with Petr on many points I don't agree with his limiting access to water. In nature many chameleon species don't have constant access but I can't agree that access will harm them if it doesn't take the humidity out of normal levels. Horses in the wild may only drink once a day but I'm not going to restrict my horse to that in captivity and risk colic, nor will I limit my dogs access to water.

Just read this and I for sure agree. I always recommend to mist when it's cool in the morning and at night. In the past I have misted in the heat of the day though and never had problems. The odds of either a fogger or misting causing an RI to an otherwise healthy animal is probably pretty low, but definitely something to be aware of.

I live somewhere where it is extremely dry so humidity is a huge concern for me, it has to be monitored very closely here. Frequent mistings in my situations are pretty much a must, as is using a fogger at night from midnight to 5am. But everything dries out in between so zero issues with mold. So every situation is definitely different; so many factors to consider and one of the reasons that chameleons should be considered "advanced" in terms of husbandry...

I live somewhere where it is extremely dry so humidity is a huge concern for me, it has to be monitored very closely here. Frequent mistings in my situations are pretty much a must, as is using a fogger at night from midnight to 5am. But everything dries out in between so zero issues with mold. So every situation is definitely different; so many factors to consider and one of the reasons that chameleons should be considered "advanced" in terms of husbandry...

Here in PA, basements come with their own bioactive ecosystems

That is the problem with not having background information beforehand all situations are different.
While I agree with Petr on many points I don't agree with his limiting access to water. In nature many chameleon species don't have constant access but I can't agree that access will harm them if it doesn't take the humidity out of normal levels. Horses in the wild may only drink once a day but I'm not going to restrict my horse to that in captivity and risk colic, nor will I limit my dogs access to water.

I agree... I do have reduced mistings because I have a very high natural humidity level to the point of needing a dehumidifier in the house. But I do not restrict access to water in any way. I don't understand doing that.

Just read this and I for sure agree. I always recommend to mist when it's cool in the morning and at night. In the past I have misted in the heat of the day though and never had problems. The odds of either a fogger or misting causing an RI to an otherwise healthy animal is probably pretty low, but definitely something to be aware of.

Yeah exactly. I have the same issue as you do high natural humidity. I am still dialing in my misting sessions. I have 1 in the morning prior to lights on, one in the late afternoon when my basking fixture has gone off and one at 10pm to boost the night time humidity levels. I am trying to work in one about 11am ish and playing with the basking fixture going off for 15 minutes prior to cool down the cage then coming on 15 minutes later. Testing the length of session and how it impacts my humidity levels. I do use a fogger and do clean it like a crazy person every weekend.

The more I learn from everyone here the more I edit my set up and how everything works as a whole. Which is one of the things I love about this community of people. The ability to learn from one another.

I agree... I do have reduced mistings because I have a very high natural humidity level to the point of needing a dehumidifier in the house. But I do not restrict access to water in any way. I don't understand doing that.

Yeah exactly. I have the same issue as you do high natural humidity. I am still dialing in my misting sessions. I have 1 in the morning prior to lights on, one in the late afternoon when my basking fixture has gone off and one at 10pm to boost the night time humidity levels. I am trying to work in one about 11am ish and playing with the basking fixture going off for 15 minutes prior to cool down the cage then coming on 15 minutes later. Testing the length of session and how it impacts my humidity levels. I do use a fogger and do clean it like a crazy person every weekend.

The more I learn from everyone here the more I edit my set up and how everything works as a whole. Which is one of the things I love about this community of people. The ability to learn from one another.
And when we disagree we agree to disagree. We don't need Brad to come in and turn off comments because I disagree with so and so.

I mean I'll be honest, when I'm talking to someone stupid and they are being a jerk I always bust out my college vocab because I know it frustrates them :LOL: "furthermore!"

Bonus if they're wearing this!

Back
Top Bottom