Facebook Groups Make Me ANGRY!!!

Yeah, no. This is the only platform I need!
Yes never again have I tried to help someone outside the forum. If she can’t tell a chameleons veiled shouldnt be deformed the way it is then they are helpless. She went on to telling my chameleons looked extremely unhealthy and need to take better care of them. Y’all have seen my babies only thing unhealthy is how spoiled they are lol

OP was still helped but they tried to act like I wasn't the reason for it.
I've had the same experience in various forums (I'm a biologist and geneticist with over 40 years marine aquarium experience, and considerable experience in other areas including as an admin and mod at several hobby sites - admittedly, pretty much a novice at chameleons). When I try to help out I usually know what I'm talking about. If someone corrects me, I'll admit I was wrong. The egos/insecurity/control freak nature of people on some facebook groups is irritating and concerning. I've never seen so many adults act like child bullies and divas before FB. :)
EDIT: I'm not talking about being any kind of an expert on chameleons, and don't offer a whole lot of advice here - but the seahorse forum I used to mod/admin years ago also required a questionnaire be filled out when questions about illness came up. It made sense because there are so many areas where if basic husbandry needs aren't being met, illness and stress is predictable. So I would have made the same suggestion and stood by it. I'm more active on some other pet hobby and animal rescue forums where I know more.

Last edited:
This is what I expect from falconry community and is the exact opposite of what I have found here on Chameleon forums. Facebook is not good.
drake meme.jpg
ZomboMeme 30052019100548.jpg

Many/most of the FB Group are little fiefdoms where one or two moderators completely control the message and delete anything or anyone that varies from their message. I monitor them incase anything useful comes up but you can't help people on them. The other sites are beyond juvenile. Now that FB has cracked down on any animal sales that don't come from paid business pages most of these will deteriorate.

Everything plays into this. but yes we do tend to over mist our chameleons. It is not natural for them. There are other ways to provide higher humidity without flooding a cage every 3 hours.

Gotta disagree a little with you here my friend, misting is no more unnatural than ultrasonic foggers. Just because chams aren't regularly misted in the wild doesn't mean it doesn't benefit them. I don't know of anyone that has killed a cham with misting, even if the cham doesn't like it, which IME most do once they realize it's just water. I look at it as, the chance of RI with a fogger is so much higher than a mister causing physical harm. Plenty of unnatural things extend our lifespans and plenty of natural things kill us.

Not to say I have a problem with foggers, but idk if they should be the first go-to.

Hey there! A few things just to clarify the situation for you:
For various reasons, the groups have different ways of seeking help in situations like these. It’s hard to keep up with I know lol. But Petr saying all that about the survey is most likely attributed to the long history of disagreements and conflicts with a few other admin of Chameleon Central, in regard to their very different styles of approaches in chameleon keeping. I came into the picture after all of it had taken place but that’s what I have learned over time. Petr is also not an admin or mod for chameleon culture club, but he runs his own group called Life With Chameleons. I’m an admin for all three groups, but you can also contact me (Taylor Matthews) on my personal page or on my Upscaled Chameleons page if you ever need help in the future. Please feel free to reach out any time, I’m happy to help! I know the drama is so annoying and I’m sorry you had to deal with that!

Perfect reason I avoid groups like that on FB. Most people that use FB as a source of information only hear the answer they want to here. "my chameleon is lethargic and sleeps all day, whats wrong with him. He is too sick for me to fill a form out so just tell me what is wrong even though nobody else except me know the species, age, and husbandry specs."

A competent chameleon keeper would be able to fill out that form in a few minutes or atleast give relevant information about the care they have been providing.

For various reasons, the groups have different ways of seeking help in situations like these. It’s hard to keep up with I know lol. But Petr saying all that about the survey is most likely attributed to the long history of disagreements and conflicts with a few other admin of Chameleon Central, in regard to their very different styles of approaches in chameleon keeping. I came into the picture after all of it had taken place but that’s what I have learned over time. Petr is also not an admin or mod for chameleon culture club, but he runs his own group called Life With Chameleons. I’m an admin for all three groups, but you can also contact me (Taylor Matthews) on my personal page or on my Upscaled Chameleons page if you ever need help in the future. Please feel free to reach out any time, I’m happy to help! I know the drama is so annoying and I’m sorry you had to deal with that!

Someone snitched.

Jk jk, it's good to see a mod approach the situation in a friendly manner

Thank you for coming on here and giving your side of the story. Shows class

Gotta disagree a little with you here my friend, misting is no more unnatural than ultrasonic foggers. Just because chams aren't regularly misted in the wild doesn't mean it doesn't benefit them. I don't know of anyone that has killed a cham with misting, even if the cham doesn't like it, which IME most do once they realize it's just water. I look at it as, the chance of RI is so much higher than a mister causing physical harm. Plenty of unnatural things extend our lifespans and plenty of natural things kill us.
It’s funny you say this because I had one vet that told me I over mist and one vet telling me you can never over mist. It seems like just a matter of opinion and what works best for your situation. It doesn’t help that ppl are still learning about chameleons and trying to get rid of old misconceptions. As keepers we should always have an open mind on care for our little ones and not let our human instinct get in the way for our care

That is understandable. What is hard to understand is that onc specific way (the form) appears to be banned. If someone wants to help, why rule out their method of assistance?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom