Facebook Groups Make Me ANGRY!!!

I ended up going the natural hydration route with my guy after listening to Bill Strand's podcast about it. I also found info that Petr Necas has put out there, and reading Decadancin's blog post.

I have been using a fogger at night from 12-5am when my house temp is down to 67-68 degrees. I do still use a mister but I am misting prior to lights on and an hour after the basking and 1 of my T5's go off so it is much cooler. I do provide a constant drip water source...

Beman has been extremely healthy. Very very rarely do I ever see him go for the water dripping. His urates are always bright white. I plan on using this method with my Nosy Be as well and am setting his cage up to mimic what I have done for my Veiled.

I ended up going the natural hydration route with my guy after listening to Bill Strand's podcast about it. I also found info that Petr Necas has put out there, and reading Decadancin's blog post.

I have been using a fogger at night from 12-5am when my house temp is down to 67-68 degrees. I do still use a mister but I am misting prior to lights on and an hour after the basking and 1 of my T5's go off so it is much cooler. I do provide a constant drip water source...

Beman has been extremely healthy. Very very rarely do I ever see him go for the water dripping. His urates are always bright white. I plan on using this method with my Nosy Be as well and am setting his cage up to mimic what I have done for my Veiled.

Maybe the fear of using foggers is overblown for people like me, and that there's not much of a chance for RI, I used to use them and never had problems, but i got paranoid by the bacteria build up.

The fogger dilemma reminds me a little of bioactive enclosures. When I started heavily reading into them a few years ago, it was rare to see someone experienced go with substrate. Not that it wasn't done, but most were skeptics. Now it's almost mainstream. A lot of old timers still do bare bottom because it worked for them just fine, they figured, why fix what's not broken. Same thing with misters, some of us are still doing heavy mistings because our animals are doing just fine, even though foggers may be the way of the future.

We also have to consider it's one of those things where, if somebody did use a fogger and they ended up getting an RI because of their choice, most wouldn't be willing to admit it. Absolutely not saying that happened to anyone here, but just that it is human nature. When I started bio, if had I caused an impaction from it. My initial reaction would have probably looked at every other possible cause rather than because my cham ate substrate. Not saying I wouldn't ever admit to it, but it would suck for something I talked up for so long to turnaround and harm my animal.

Back
Top Bottom