Eye issue

Hey guys....so I have a problem....

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Starr is a 16 month old panther chameleon. I've had him from being like 3 months old.
Handling - he waits for me to open the cage in the morning, and comes straight on my hand, so for a few minutes almost every day.
Feeding - around 8 medium insects per day. I usually alternate between crickets and locusts, but also give dubia roaches once a week. They're gutloaded with repashy superload and leafy greens
Supplements - Zoo med repti calcium, lightly but daily...then reptivite once every 12 days
Watering - eco terra monsoon misting system runs for 2 minutes 4 times a day. I also use a dripper. I see him drink every now and again
Fecal Description - Appear normal. Firm, but not hard with a nice white bit.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 4x2x2 all screen cage
Lighting - arcadia 6% uvb and exo terra sun glo
Temperature - basking spot is low 90s. The coolest part of the cage is 80 degrees. All digitally measured
Humidity - between 50 and 75%
Plants - Pathos
Placement - by the window, he loves to look outside. The top of the cage is between 5 and 6 foot high.
Location - England

Current Problem - about 3 weeks ago I noticed Starr was occasionally closing one eye. I took him to the local reptile vets, who thought because he had recently shed, he had shed in his eye. I was given eye drops, which were administered for 10 days. The eye appears much better, in that it doesn't close as it was doing. He definitely still has sight in it, as I generally put his food to that side, just to check his vision in that eye. However, when he shoots his tongue, his pupil moves, just showing the white of the eye in his eye turret. He quickly corrects this.
I had him back at my reptile vets yesterday who said this eyeball movement might be neurological and she might not be able to find out what's causing it.
I also went to the place I bought him from, one of the guys there suggested it might be conjunctivitis from being too close to the uvb. I raised my uvb slightly a few days ago invade it was this

I was just wondering what you guys thought. Obviously, I've done a bit of reading on here....could this be a vitamin A deficiency? Something else?

Everything sounds good, except the basking spot and the ambient temperature. Low 90's for basking is way too hot for a Panther, should be around 85-87, my guys prefer around 84-85. There should be temps as low as 70 in the bottom of the cage in the day, and it's ok for them to dip into the 60's through the night(this actually helps them get a good sleep). You didn't mention if you provide a night time heat source? If you do have one, get rid of it. Probably best to move him away from the window, he could be getting temp spikes from the sun throughout the day, when you may not be home to check the temp gauge. Since he likes seeing outside, set him up safely outside. It's always good to check with your vet, but I'm thinking higher temps are causing his eye to dry out. Lower the temps and give him a few showers. A chameleon's eyes are the window to their soul(their health soul, that is), so next time you are at the vet you should get blood work done to see if there's any internal infection.

Just my two bits, hope it helps:)

Yeah sorry, I should have said, the low 90s is directly under the light on the top of the mesh. On the actual basking branch I imagine the temps are much lower. He doesn't get any heat at night, he did when I first got him though, until I read not to on here.
His cage is positioned so that the sun never hits it, so spikes are unlikely.
So you think his eyeball moving when he shoots his tongue is a heat issue? Even though I've not changed the temps for a few months since I started raising them as he was maturing. That is the only problem I am now having. Other than this, the vet said he's very healthy. I tried to give the vet a demo, but looking round the office was much more exciting, to Starr, than eating!

So you think his eyeball moving when he shoots his tongue is a heat issue?

Not directly. I think what was meant was that higher heat dries out the cage more quickly, and the drier the cage the more likely an eye could get irritated. If this eye had problems in the past (that you said responded to eye drops) it could be that it is a little more sensitive than the other, or that there was some surface scarring that will take time to heal. Very hard to say without being able to examine the eye with a scope.

How far is the UVB bulb from his basking area now? You do NOT want to set it too far away!

Some keepers give vit A occasionally just in case it might be a low level deficiency. But, that's more likely if both eyes are involved.

could this be a vitamin A deficiency? Something else?

The reptivite you are using has vitamin A in it so I would think this is less likely although we don't really know their requirements. Not sure about moving his eye within the eye turret. Unlike other animals their eyelids are fused to the eye so they cannot move their eye without moving the eyelids. As your vet said we not be able to identify the problem. If drops helped it may be humidity or inflammation.

The eye issue that responded to the eye drops was directly before this eye drooping problem. As soon as he started opening his eye properly all the time, that's when the eye drooping when eating began.
The uvb is 2/3 inches from the top of the cage and a further few inches above the basking spot. Although he does seem to like hanging upside down on the screen cage, rather than basking on the branches.
Joevet - do I infer from that that the eye may have become damaged somehow as the eyeball doesn't appear totally fused to the turret any more? Is this likely to heal given time?
I have ordered some Repashy vitamin A. Is it worthwhile me trying this? If so, should I dust it on all his crickets, or just a few? For what kind of duration?

what eye drops

My Daughter's Panther Baxter is having a similar eye issue. What are the drops that the Vet recommended/ prescribed?
Thanks.

The drops I got are called tiacil. I didn't note where you're from, if the US, it might have a different name. I hope you get on ok. Keep us posted how you get on!

Joevet - do I infer from that that the eye may have become damaged somehow as the eyeball doesn't appear totally fused to the turret any more? Is this likely to heal given time? I have ordered some Repashy vitamin A. Is it worthwhile me trying this? If so, should I dust it on all his crickets, or just a few? For what kind of duration?

I doubt any trauma or inflammation would result in less adherence of the eyelid. I don't think that happened. Be careful with the vitamin A. Too much is bad as well and can cause signs similar to MBD. A vet would normally give a one time injection or a one time oral dose. Again your reptivite already contains vitamin A. The Repashy Vitamin A has quite a bit more. You can try a one time dusting but I wouldn't do much more without the input of a vet. You don't want to over due it.

The other better option is a vet and bloodwork to look for inflammation or metabolic problems. Consider returning to your vet to discuss options with them.

the other better option is a vet and bloodwork to look for inflammation or metabolic problems. Consider returning to your vet to discuss options with them.

Baxter's blood work disclosed a kidney issue ,(lack of vitamin A). We picked him up from the vet today. the vet said eye issues not from an injury are usually from a metabolic problem. 4 medications and an oral food our fingers are crossed for an fully recovery.

Oh no, I'm really sorry. I hope he recovers. I think I'll take Starr back to the vets and ask if she'll do a blood test. The vet I went to initially is the only reptile vet in my area, so it may have to be there, seen as it's sounds like it's not a neurological issue as she diagnosed.

Back
Top Bottom