Eye has gone bad, please help!

The same could be said for absolutely any medical condition, this is always a threat. Do you run to the doctor every time you get a splinter? No, you pull it and move on. This is where experience really comes into play, having past experiences to draw on is an invaluable tool in any scenario. You weren’t comfortable making the call, nothing wrong with that. However that does not mean it was automatically the correct answer.

We disagree. Have a nice evening, Jox.

Personally, I also would have left it alone, kept it moist, and let my vet handle it... and I work at a veterinary clinic.This isn't something that can be adequately treated at home, and it's now exposed to air. We had no idea what was going on under that cap and could have made it considerably worse. For our purpose, it doesn't matter where the discharge is coming from... that's where the vet comes in. None of us are medical professionals, and I feel like it's bad form to be giving anything resembling medical advice on the internet beyond "keep it moist, go to a vet asap". I agree leaving it alone entirely would be a bad call, so it's largely a no win situation either way.

My 2 cents. Looked like it was fairly loose, though, and what's done is done. As long as it wasn't yanked on, it probably(?) didn't cause any further damage. I've just seen enough home removals (and clinic removals, truth be told) go horribly wrong that I don't even consider suggesting it anymore.

That aside, keep us posted @Putin_On_Me_Glasses - I have a soft spot for the ladies, and it hits close to home with my own girl feeling under the weather. ❤

Thank you all so much, and I will keep you posted. She is doing much better this morning, still holding a grudge from the camera (she hates it). I have to set up the appointment when the clinic opens, or when my mom has the chance. Th appointment is being set up today. The eye is actually open, which is nice to see, because she kept it closed most of the time.

Some of us are comfortable sewing up the pig on the farm, some of us are not. Once you are 20 years in and have had like 5 grand in vet bills, you kinda have an idea of what can be done at home. Some people will fill a needle and inject it into an arm of a lizard, others wont do it unless you have 10-20 prefilled needles by the vet tech, others will not do it at all. Personally i would have done a test wipe too, my only goal would be to keep the eye from sealing shut till the vet visit. I had a lesser issue with a beardy, eye drops during the day would keep the eye from sealing shut, but getting it open in the morning would require skill that would make new owners nervous.

But that eye does look a lot better than when the thread started.

Kinda reminds me when one of my buddies had a iggy with a cracked tail. "What do i do now?". They were a bit horrified by my "remedy", and had a much shorter iggy.

Some of us are comfortable sewing up the pig on the farm, some of us are not. Once you are 20 years in and have had like 5 grand in vet bills, you kinda have an idea of what can be done at home. Some people will fill a needle and inject it into an arm of a lizard, others wont do it unless you have 10-20 prefilled needles by the vet tech, others will not do it at all. Personally i would have done a test wipe too, my only goal would be to keep the eye from sealing shut till the vet visit. I had a lesser issue with a beardy, eye drops during the day would keep the eye from sealing shut, but getting it open in the morning would require skill that would make new owners nervous.

But that eye does look a lot better than when the thread started.

Kinda reminds me when one of my buddies had a iggy with a cracked tail. "What do i do now?". They were a bit horrified by my "remedy", and had a much shorter iggy.

I agree. However, the owner in this thread is young and inexperienced and imho shouldn't be encouraged to self treat. Eyes are tricky, complex things. It's not what I would have done, but again, it's done. Thankfully the cap was loose, and was more of a crust than something adhered to the skin.

I'm no stranger to at-home procedures. I grew up on a farm, and have a pretty strong experience base with birds (poultry and parrots). Give me a bird problem and I can handle that at home. I'm still not comfortable giving other people medical advice, and don't believe it's my place to give it.

But, we can talk in circles all day. Bottom line, glad that Flower seems be doing a tad better, and I hope her vet visit goes well! (y)

I agree. However, the owner in this thread is young and inexperienced and imho shouldn't be encouraged to self treat. Eyes are tricky, complex things. It's not what I would have done, but again, it's done. Thankfully the cap was loose, and was more of a crust than something adhered to the skin.

I'm no stranger to at-home procedures. I grew up on a farm, and have a pretty strong experience base with birds (poultry and parrots). Give me a bird problem and I can handle that at home. I'm still not comfortable giving other people medical advice, and don't believe it's my place to give it.

But, we can talk in circles all day. Bottom line, glad that Flower seems be doing a tad better, and I hope her vet visit goes well! (y)

Yea i remember when i was 14 giving shots to a water dragon. "Hey doc what do you do when you inject the fluid, and it runs back out when you take the needle out?". Lizard skin is thin and not self sealing...

UPDATE: The vet was out this week. Of course. He is in next Tuesday. Flower, on the other hand, is getting worse. The infection is beginning to get her other eye now. As of now, she can still see out of it, but keeps in closed tight. The other eye has not changed. When I came home today, even more wonderful surprise. She was digging a hole in her lay bin. Could this negatively affect her recovery of the eye? She also has not been eating as much, so I had been suspecting eggs, and stopped eating more than a cricket or two as of Saturday.

UPDATE: The vet was out this week. Of course. He is in next Tuesday. Flower, on the other hand, is getting worse. The infection is beginning to get her other eye now. As of now, she can still see out of it, but keeps in closed tight. The other eye has not changed. When I came home today, even more wonderful surprise. She was digging a hole in her lay bin. Could this negatively affect her recovery of the eye? She also has not been eating as much, so I had been suspecting eggs, and stopped eating more than a cricket or two as of Saturday.

Poor girl. Can’t you find another vet? Where do you live? I might be able to help you find a good vet.

Back
Top Bottom