Expo Trip *Rescues*

With both of those species it is just pretty common among imports. Mistreatment starts early on (probably with the collector) and everyone tries to pass them along quickly before they loose their money. (collector to exporter to importer to dealer at the show for example).

It is better not to support poor quality by paying something for it.

IMO it really isn't a rescue if you do- it's a reward for the investment the guy ahead of the "rescuer" made when he purchased a low quality animal from the guy in line ahead of him- doubly so if the animal dies anyway. At $40 per chameleon, that dealer really probably broke even which is better than he was hoping for when he unpacked them I'll bet.

Hi, i'm new here. Is this common at Expos? There is one coming up in San Antonio and I want to get back into Chameleons after I get done with Tech Training but if I see one that looks like your Mellers then I may have to rescue them.

Unfortunately yes it is very common. I've been to the San Antonio expo quite a few times actually, but I go for supplies, not for animals, especially chameleons. Word of advice knowing what show you're going to, there is one vendor in particular that will have a lot of chams, including mellers. Every single one of his animals are wc and he has a warehouse. It's all about making a buck for him and he has been thrown out of shows before for dishonest practices. Do not buy from him because you'd only be supporting his careless importing and poor care instead of saving anything. better to let him lose money since that's all he cares about. Better to order online and support breeders. The forum sponsors have a lot of great cb chams of all kinds!

It's a fun show to go to though. :)

Unfortunately yes it is very common. I've been to the San Antonio expo quite a few times actually, but I go for supplies, not for animals, especially chameleons. Word of advice knowing what show you're going to, there is one vendor in particular that will have a lot of chams, including mellers. Every single one of his animals are wc and he has a warehouse. It's all about making a buck for him and he has been thrown out of shows before for dishonest practices. Do not buy from him because you'd only be supporting his careless importing and poor care instead of saving anything. better to let him lose money since that's all he cares about. Better to order online and support breeders. The forum sponsors have a lot of great cb chams of all kinds!

It's a fun show to go to though. :)

I was in sales so I know how to talk people down. I will attempt to get them for free if they look as bad as his the ones farrah bought. Pretty much explain to him that he will lose money trying to keep them alive for another 2 weeks instead of just giving them to me.

I've only had Jackson's before and was what I was looking to get again but if this expo is like the one farrah went to then I may have to reconsider my option.

"The showers" farrah where talking about, since he didn't have a misting system I am assuming he was talking about taking like a soft sprinkling garden hose and dousing them? Or am I wrong in that assumption. :p

Farrah, love, love the starfish poem and I am glad that you took them in whether you had to pay for them or not, you have a big heart trying to give them a better life! I am sorry you lost the one and hope that the others will continue to survive and recover.

I should have tempered my remarks above with the caveat that I totally understand the desire to save them.

Once again- good luck with the 3 that remain.

Sorry guys I missed all of these responses.
Thank you Carol and flux it's ok. I wont be going back to that show. I'm going to try the one in KY next time. Zoo Med is there so I'm hoping it's a better batch.

Just an update on the other Meller's, he is dying. When I turned the lights on this morning he is laying on his side and is almost completely white with a huge black place on his side. Looks alot like my Senegal did when he died. I misted him down real good but I'm not going to give him a shower this morning. I think it would just be more stress then he can bare.

The weaker of the 2 Verr doesn't look to good either. His eyes are closed when up till now they have been open all the time. I'm going to try and get some more fluids in him but it's really touch and go at this point.

I really don't think I can go through this again. My heart is breaking for these guys and I really can't help but think this is all my fault. All I wanted to do was make them better and give them a good life.

Farrah, this is not your fault. You let your heart lead your head. We have all been there, well most of us, a few are smarter than to get suckered.:( I just don't want you to get burned out on chameleons, but having to deal with losing a number of chams really takes a toll. I want you to stay in the hobby, and have chams you can keep and enjoy for years.:)

I'm so sorry Farrah. :( Unfortunately it's a risk you take with any rescue. I've had my fair share of non-chameleon rescues that did not make it despite my best efforts and it is heartbreaking. But you can at least say that you were the only one that gave them a shot at recovery and that they probably went far more peacefully than they would have otherwise. You did way more for them than anyone before you ever did, and that's commendable regardless of the outcome! Sorry for your losses nonetheless. When the rescues are successes though, I have to tell you it's worth all the losses you experience.

I would try something to make that seller "pay" for treating animals like that. If you think they will be back at the next expo, see if the organizers might know who he was (ask for a participant list with what type of livestock?). Then flat out embarrass him at the table by complaining in a loud public manner just how terrible his livestock is. Tell him what happened to the chams you bought previously and how they suffered (more for the benefit of onlookers). Or, see if there might be a forum member who will be there do it. Raise a public stink with photos of healthy chams, quiz him on the care he gives versus what should be done, complain to the expo organizers publicly. Show them proof of the suffering and death of your previous purchases. Just don't let him get away with his blood profit without some social harm. You'll get a bit more in exchange for the money you paid to rescue the poor things. I know it won't change the seller's heart, but it will make them look bad in the eyes of others.

I think this might be the same seller that I got my little guy from. He was in the same deli cup. Was the remaining Meller just a little guy with a crooked horn?

so sorry for your losses. but just remember, you gave them a comfterable loving home for the last few weeks of their life. They could have died in one of those deli cups, alone and uncared for.

Bummer I'm so sorry to hear this :( . It's a battle to turn these guys around when they have so many odds against them.

I hope this doesn't sour you on Melleri they are such an incredible species to keep.

I was in sales so I know how to talk people down. I will attempt to get them for free if they look as bad as his the ones farrah bought. Pretty much explain to him that he will lose money trying to keep them alive for another 2 weeks instead of just giving them to me.

I've only had Jackson's before and was what I was looking to get again but if this expo is like the one farrah went to then I may have to reconsider my option.

"The showers" farrah where talking about, since he didn't have a misting system I am assuming he was talking about taking like a soft sprinkling garden hose and dousing them? Or am I wrong in that assumption. :p

I have a mist setting on my shower head and I just place a large plant in the shower and put them on it. In the hotel I used a piece of the screen cage. It wasn't the best but I made do with what I had lol. Just make sure the water is about room temperature and not too hot.

Back
Top Bottom