Expo Trip *Rescues*

That's not uncommon for imported melleri in shape like that to drink like that.

Get yourself a misting system and run it over the melleri several hours per day for 10 days or so. Make sure the lizards can move in and out of the mist as they want. They prefer drinking directly from the mist- especially new imports, and sometimes they drink very slowly for loooooong periods of time.

Good luck with all of them.

You picked two amazing species I have to say!

My first Melleri Earl was a rescue he just grabbed my heart. I would have done the same thing.

I wish you all the luck in the world with all of these guys.

Farrah you weren't kidding when you told me they were in bad shape! Those guys look awful. I hope you are able to save them. I need to hold you away from shows before you burn your self out. That is a lot to take on. Now let's cross our fingers.

Oh Laurie you have no idea on the one Ver. He is in terrible shape. He looks like a skeleton, I swear the pics just don't show him right. I did get him to eat a wax worm when I was giving him fluids earlier. I'm really hoping I can get a nice juicy super worm in him tomorrow. The smaller of the 2 Meller's pooped earlier and believe it or not it wasn't to bad. Just a bit of yellow on the end. I guess the 3 showers have helped him.

That's not uncommon for imported melleri in shape like that to drink like that.

Get yourself a misting system and run it over the melleri several hours per day for 10 days or so. Make sure the lizards can move in and out of the mist as they want. They prefer drinking directly from the mist- especially new imports, and sometimes they drink very slowly for loooooong periods of time.

Good luck with all of them.

Oh yah they are loving the showers. I'm going to look into getting some kind of misting system for them as soon as I can.

You picked two amazing species I have to say!

My first Melleri Earl was a rescue he just grabbed my heart. I would have done the same thing.

I wish you all the luck in the world with all of these guys.

Thank you Jessica. The smaller one with the arm problem is showing some beautiful colors. The larger one is still stressed but they both seem really sweet.

Well I just went to Walmart and got 8 live plants so I can put there enclosures together right. So much to do lol!

Ok I just finished one of the Meller's set ups does it look ok? The cage is 24x24x48.
I used 3 live plants, several branches, but need to get more branches tomorrow. I also have two linear lights, 1 is 24" and is a plant grow light and the other is 18". I'm going tomorrow to get a UVB bulb for it. Right now it's 85 in the basking area and 70 over all. Humidity is right about 55%.

062.jpg

I can not believe this. The smaller of the two Mellers just died! His poor little eyes were still open and tongue sticking out but no movement or breathing. I even took him into the bathroom and splashed water on him just to be sure. I have no idea what happened. He was just laying on one of his plants dead.

I can not believe this. The smaller of the two Mellers just died! His poor little eyes were still open and tongue sticking out but no movement or breathing. I even took him into the bathroom and splashed water on him just to be sure. I have no idea what happened. He was just laying on one of his plants dead.

Very, very sorry to hear that :( My best wishes for the efforts with the others.

I strongly agree that is laudable to do what you can to help mistreated animals like these recover, and I commend your efforts. I also strongly agree that rescuing animals by purchasing them often ends up causing negative, unintended consequences. When these animals (or any animals) sell, they get replaced by the seller and the next round get treated just as badly. Unfortunately for animals like this there are only two viable solutions IMHO: either 1) the seller realizes they are in over their heads, and give the animals away (rarely happens), or 2) the animals die in the seller's care, discouraging the person from purchasing more. The unfortuante reality is that, for animals that don't have legal protections quite the way most mammals do, the best way to help most of them is to refuse to purchase anything from those that don't take proper care of their animals.

Again, I wish you the best of luck with these animals, and hope the others pull through.

cj

poor guy looked extremely dehydrated and malnurished. im sure the stress and parasites had there way with him. if he had a chance it would have been with you.

mad props bud. we need more people like ya. it piss me off that so many people are in it for the dollar and not the animals. i mean four at one show and there are probably one you didnt even see. WTF :mad:

I'm sorry that you lost one.

Along the lines of the starfish poem, you can, in this case, take it a step further (IMHO.) When a vendor or pet store purchases certain animals like chameleons, they are usually taking a risk (especially WCs.) When they see how many animals they are killing, they may begin to realize that it is a lose:lose situation and stop selling them all together or only sell CB easy to care for species. It can and does happen when they dont have a market. No demand, no product profit. Sort of like how the guy threw one in and hoped it would make a difference to the individual starfish, when you leave the sick animals there (along with anything else they have to offer) you are hoping to make a difference for all the animals to come. There is no guarantee you are saving anything, but you hope you do.

Throwing a big, loud fit can help too sometimes.

So sorry to hear this but the odds were against the little guy, at least he died with someone fighting to save him instead of in a 10 gallon tank.

Keep your head up, and please keep us posted on the other three.

mad props bud. we need more people like ya. it piss me off that so many people are in it for the dollar and not the animals. i mean four at one show and there are probably one you didnt even see. WTF :mad:

Thank you so much! I hate it too, I wish these people would realize what they are doing to these poor animals!

Pssh I know you're right, I do but when I see them I just can't help but think just maybe I can save them. Obliviously I couldn't with the smaller of the two Meller's but on a positive note the really sick Varr is doing a bit better today. He went from now to able to even lift his head to actually walking around and climbing a bit today. I was also able to get 2 super worms down him and lots of fluids.

And thank you Jessica! I totally agree. I wish I could have done more for him/her.

Hi, i'm new here. Is this common at Expos? There is one coming up in San Antonio and I want to get back into Chameleons after I get done with Tech Training but if I see one that looks like your Mellers then I may have to rescue them.

Back
Top Bottom