Eggs and not eating

jennleila

Will all chameleons stop eating when they have eggs to deliver? Im wondering if this would be a good indicator to know if she has developed eggs. I still don't have a nesting box in her enclosure and figured I could put one in when she stops eating. She still have a great appetite.

I'm not certain but I believe each Cham to be different, so she may still eat if she has eggs.
I'm sure it would be better if you had a laying bin in there all the time to be safe. Kath.

I agree, she needs a laying bin in her cage at all times if you are not breeding her and don't know when she is developing eggs.

As for eating, it is all dependent on the chameleon. Some will eat up to the day they lay when others can stop or greatly slow down 2-3 weeks before laying.

I have never had a female stop eating 2-3 weeks before laying. Especially considering the short time between breeding and laying. That time frame IMO is incorrect.

I do agree however that each is on their own routine, but females going off of food, being very active and low in the cage is def some of the signs. Get her a laying bin and she should show you relatively quick.

I actually already have a laying bin ready to go. I just didn't want to crowd the enclosure. Will put in asap. Thanks everyone!

Not eating

I have my first panther and she laid her first clutch about a month and half ago, at about seven months of age.
She almost completely stopped eating for two weeks prior to her laying. This worried me especially since she was so young and should be eating daily. As soon as she laid her appetite picked up again immediately.
Make sure you lay bin is sufficient as I know for me that was part of the issue as she wouldn't lay until it was.

Back
Top Bottom