egg laying.

yaya25

My veiled laid her first eggs last night. I'm just wondering how many eggs can they lay at once? and is it normal for them to recover the hole that they dug?

Yes they do cover the hole. They dig, lay then cover it back in again. They pack the soil/sand down really hard too! It can take a long time to complete the process. It's no wonder it's such hard work for them. Amazing creatures! You should wait until they have finished covering the hole and have gone back up into the branches before you remove the laying bin. Also don't let them see you watching or they may abandon digging and laying.

Veileds usually lay 12-20 eggs. As for the other question, i do not know. A helpful guide to raising veileds is http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com :)

12 to 20 eggs would be great, and probably closer to a clutch size that a veiled would have in it's natural environment.
Unfortunately this is quite a low estimate for a captive female (we take care of them too well) who could lay between 25 and 80.

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom