Too little eggs.

My chameleon has recently laid her eggs but she hasn't been eating much for a while. She laid her eggs smoothly and covered them up. I've left it for two days now and have just took them out, however there are only 17 eggs. Her previous clutches have been around 45... I've also seen one more come out with her poop. Is she retaining some? She still has energy and is drinking for me, but she still won't eat. Adding a pic, the one white egg came out with her poop and has been sitting out for a day now. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 17036031618745105885759528457223.jpg
    17036031618745105885759528457223.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 19
Had you put her on a diet to control clutch size since her last clutch of 45? There is always a chance she retained eggs especially since you said she passed on with fecal. YOu would need to get an xray done to see if she has retained eggs.

Not really. I thought 45 was a decent number but if she ever went over 50 then I would. She has taken a lot of breaks from food this year though so I believe I've been feeding her too much. I was planning to reduce her food after this clutch. I was feeding her between 4-6 feeder insects every two days. But she hasn't been eating very much for me at all recently.

Not really. I thought 45 was a decent number but if she ever went over 50 then I would. She has taken a lot of breaks from food this year though so I believe I've been feeding her too much. I was planning to reduce her food after this clutch. I was feeding her between 4-6 feeder insects every two days. But she hasn't been eating very much for me at all recently.
45 is actually a lot for them. We try to keep them down to 20-25 with controlled feeding and basking temps of 78-80 max. This reduces risk of issues of egg binding. The larger clutches can be harder for them and it takes more of a toll on her body. I would say since she has not been on that reduction that she is holding more eggs. The prior clutches are always a good indicator of what they will lay if you have not modified for smaller clutches.

But you said she is off food right now and she is passing eggs with fecal... Both of these are not signs that she has laid everything. And would be cause to get her into a reptile vet for an xray. This would be more urgent because egg binding can be lethal.

45 is actually a lot for them. We try to keep them down to 20-25 with controlled feeding and basking temps of 78-80 max. This reduces risk of issues of egg binding. The larger clutches can be harder for them and it takes more of a toll on her body. I would say since she has not been on that reduction that she is holding more eggs. The prior clutches are always a good indicator of what they will lay if you have not modified for smaller clutches.

But you said she is off food right now and she is passing eggs with fecal... Both of these are not signs that she has laid everything. And would be cause to get her into a reptile vet for an xray. This would be more urgent because egg binding can be lethal.
Do you recommend that I reduce her feed to every three days? Or feed her 2-4 feeders every two days? I will definitely get her to a vet as soon as possible.

Do you recommend that I reduce her feed to every three days? Or feed her 2-4 feeders every two days? I will definitely get her to a vet as soon as possible.

So keep in mind you would not start this yet due to her health and risk of egg binding. First you have to get her healthy. You would not start a reduction with a healthy female that just laid a clutch until a good 2 weeks after she has laid it just because you want them to rebound and have all the resources they need to do so.
So what we recommend with a healthy female is to ensure basking temps are 78-80 max. This is very important to do because it helps reduce appetite. Then their feeding schedule would be no more than 3 days a week with 3 medium sized feeders. Then when they get done laying a clutch you feed them well for a week then go back to the schedule. Again this helps them get the nutrients they need to rebound after laying a clutch. Make sure supplements are on point as well. With females it has to be because they pull the calcium for their eggs.

So keep in mind you would not start this yet due to her health and risk of egg binding. First you have to get her healthy. You would not start a reduction with a healthy female that just laid a clutch until a good 2 weeks after she has laid it just because you want them to rebound and have all the resources they need to do so.
So what we recommend with a healthy female is to ensure basking temps are 78-80 max. This is very important to do because it helps reduce appetite. Then their feeding schedule would be no more than 3 days a week with 3 medium sized feeders. Then when they get done laying a clutch you feed them well for a week then go back to the schedule. Again this helps them get the nutrients they need to rebound after laying a clutch. Make sure supplements are on point as well. With females it has to be because they pull the calcium for their eggs.
Ah okay that makes sense. Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom