egg bound

apple

i noticed today on my female c.dilipes wat seems to be outlines of eggs...now my qustion is is there a sign to look for if she is possibly egg bound?i took her to a vet and the vet said that she is carrying eggs but she didnt show any signs but it showed on the x-ray...i know its 30 day gestin for c.dilipes but she hasnt even dug a hole yett...at the bottom of the enclosure i have a trash can which is probably 2 1/2 ft long and i filled it up halfway with sand..i led a branch rite into the can my temps are pretty good 85f and basking 90-95 i mist her 3 times a dail for a few mist at a time she is eating a lil..any suggestions

A quote from a previous post I made to you concerning how long they carry the eggs..."The female lays between 25-50 eggs at the base of a tree or damp soil about 3 months after copulation".
https://www.chameleonforums.com/dosent-she-look-huge-6081/index4.html

Trace even pointed out to you "
If the dilepis have a 3 month gestation time (I think Kinyonga posted a link in another one of your threads stating that) and your female is only 2 months along, then she won't be ready to lay for a little while yet."

I don't think you know when she mated...so I don't think you know how far along she is...so you don't really even know when she should lay the eggs. She looks big enough in some of the pictures you posted that it shouldn't be long...if she isn't already past "her" time to lay. You took her to the vets and she was given something to help her deliver the eggs....it could have done her harm if she was not ready to lay the eggs. I just hope it didn't cause any rupture inside her if it made her try to push eggs out that weren't in the proper position/time frame to be pushed out yet.

With all the "attention" you have been paying to her and with all the handling, etc. you will be very lucky if she doesn't die eggbound. You need to leave her alone...feed her, water her, clean up after her...and leave her alone in between....do not watch her....leave her alone....do not handle her...leave her alone....do not keep changing things around....leave her alone...as much as possible.

If you don't stop being "obvious" to her she will likely feel that there is no place to go to lay her eggs that will be safe/secret/hidden from view...if she hasn't already gone past that point. If that is the way she feels, she will likely hold the eggs in. If she holds them in they will grow too big for her to lay and her hormones that cause her to lay them will have subsided...and she will be eggbound. I'm surprised she hasn't started to show signs of decline in health already. She must be a strong (willed) chameleon. If you are very lucky (or maybe I should say if she's very lucky) she will lay them and things will be okay...but I don't hold much hope for her.

Signs of eggbinding...include but are not limited to: eyes closed and sunken in, weak appearance/lethargy, sitting on the floor of the cage or low on a branch, not eating, has given up digging or never dug in the first place, etc. However by the time these signs are obvious, its almost too late to help her.

Case report...
http://www.adcham.com/html/veterinary/egglaying-fatigue-kramer.html

BTW, concerning the request that you keep posting under one post instead of making up multiple posts...its very time consuming for those of us who have been trying to help you to have to flip back and forth from one thread to another to gather information on your chameleon's situation before being able to give you advice/information because that advice/information might have been already offered in another thread.

I hope she won't suffer long. Shes' a beautiful chameleon.

I'm sorry to be so blunt...but I've seen this happen too many times before.
I hope she lays the eggs...in spite of all that has been going on.

I hope you will take this post in the way that its being given....I'm trying to help your chameleon get through this egglaying situation.

i read that report already...the reason i post in diff posts is because i put it under different categories i never thought people could be so mean...and by the way i dont handle her i dont watch her i dont bother her i mist feed and spot clean and that it just b.c i post all these things dosent mean i sit in her cage and watch her 24/7 you people need to gte things str8 and i do thank you for replying and helping me

Apple:

You seem to have an issue with Kinyonga's message. Do you realize you just got advice from one of the best free sources of info , regarding your dilemma , that is available on the web.

Take the advice to heart. Its not for your benefit; its for your chams benefit.

I wish your chameleon , the best of luck , in its pursuit of health and longevity...

Now , to be helpful, please fill in the blanks.

Did your vet inject Oxytocin, liquid calcium or some other aid to inducing delivery? If you don't know, it should be itemized on your vet visit invoice.

At any point in the last 20 days, has your cham stopped eating for a few days, then started again?

For the short term, dont be so concerned with UVB lighting. Be sure you are maintaining temps and some visible light in the daytime, but do provide your cham a sense of seclusion.

WHAT IS IMPORTANT HERE IS THE SURVIVAL OF YOUR CHAM: NOT YOUR FEELINGS. Put emotions aside until the outcome of this dilemma has passed. If it goes well , I'll be happy with you. If it goes badly, I'll cry with you; in the mean time lets take care of your cham.

Yes I Remember Her Saying She Is Injecting Calcium Also She Injected Somthing Else Rite Under Her Skin Which Formed A Bubble For A Lil......yes She Stopped Eating For A Few Days But Started To Eat And Poop Again...i Did The Trash Can Method And Then Someone Told Me To Put Her Back In Her Enclosure So I Did A Few Days Ago

i took her to the vet because she threw up and looked big the vet said it was eggs after the vet i took her home put her in a trash can and had a 100 watt house bulb above the trash can for 3-4 days i tryed to feed her and she started eating so she prob didnt eat for about 2-3 days also i noticed she dosent eat from the tweezers i usually used to feed her with

and nope she hasnt scratched around i just think she isnt ready to lay them yet they still probably havent developed yet

If she is past her time to lay, then little will help. Did your vet give you an estimate of how far along she is?

Assumimg she isnt past her time to lay, I would look for her to stop eating , then scratch or roam around her cage bottom. If you observe this, place her back in the bucket. Dont over do the lighting. And give her privacy.Be sure that the sand/soil is moist enough to hold a tunnel up .

Be patient and good luck.....

well let me ask you this i woke up one morning and she was huge and this was only like 3 weeks ago so she cant be overdue in 3 weeks em i correct? my GF was like wow look at her shes so fat im like she she probably hasnt pooped yet

i took her to the vet because she threw up and looked big the vet said it was eggs after the vet i took her home put her in a trash can and had a 100 watt house bulb above the trash can for 3-4 days i tryed to feed her and she started eating so she prob didnt eat for about 2-3 days also i noticed she dosent eat from the tweezers i usually used to feed her with

Tweezers?
Just another indication to me that your role in her life is very invasive.
I hope not to offend...but..."usually feeding with tweezers" is, in my opinion,
like breast or bottle feeding a 12 year old child.
Chameleons have very specialized needs, but this doesn't mean we should hover over them like over protective parents.
They mostly need (and want) to be left alone.

-Brad

cham_man said..."best free sources of info"...wow...you knocked me off my feet....I don't know what to say except...thanks for the comments...blush, blush....I try to do the best I can, but I don't feel that I'm "that" good. After so many years of keeping them (almost 20), I still feel that I have far more to learn than I know already.

apple...none of us are trying to be mean...we are concerned about your chameleon. We don't want to see it die and we don't want to see it suffer either.

i understan everyone is trying to help but you guys.girls keep piking at the way i post fine so i made a mistake noone is perfect and yes thank you very much for helping me out..also i feed it with tweezers is b.c she eats from them my male dosent eat unless he can hunt for it so i just put them in there but my female always ate from my hands and i dont like crickets running around the enclouser but since it dosent seem like a good thing ill stop feed with the tweezers

is it time to put her back in the trash can because now i can see eggs in her but she hasnt started to dig and she is still eating....i also put a ficuz plant in the enclouser but still no digging help me out please

oh man here we go again im just asking for help this isnt a dating site my age has nothing to do with my pregnant cham who is not laying eggs

oh man here we go again im just asking for help this isnt a dating site my age has nothing to do with my pregnant cham who is not laying eggs
Also posts like this wont get you any help any faster most likely none at all.... put her in the trash can enclosure with some crickets in a bowl, a dripper, make sure the sand or whatever is moist enought to tunnel and leave her alone....... check on her once a day...4

I am not trying to upset you. All i am trying to figure out is a bit more about how you take advice from people. I allready know what the issue is of why your cham is not laying eggs. You have allready been told numerous times why she is not laying. I will sum it up again for you.

She does not feel safe to deposit them because she is viewing you as a predator, and the reason she thinks this is that you are not leaving her alone. If you interrupt her in the process, she will stop. Despite what you may or may not have told us, I allready know this is the issue.

The reason you are not leaving her alone goes back to my origional question. This board has seen numerous people come and go that wont take advice from senior members to STOP handeling them, its not a toy you show off to your friends.

Right off the top of my head I can think of about 5 different scenarios just like this one where the kid, even PARENT did not listen to anyone offereing advice, and ended up with a dead chameleon. I would hate to see this happen to you, and we are all here to help.

Best of luck with your girl, I just wish you would leave her be so that she would lay, but since you are not accepting that advice from anyone, I will part ways with you and this thread and hope for the best with her health.

Back
Top Bottom