egg bound

ok first of all im not a little kid and secodn of all ever since you guys told me to stop handling her all i have been doing for weeks now is spot cleaning her enclouser feeding and misting she hasnt even gone down she sits on her branch and that about it so before you go and acuse me of somthing why dont u ask me thanx for the advice

First of all, I may not be totally up to date on all the facts but I've been following along here and there and basically agree with what everyone has advised. She's still eating a little and drinking, yes? Can we get an updated pic for reference?

First, I've kept a lot of species but never dilepis. I forget who mentioned it before, Trace or Brandy, but apparently dilepis has a longer gestation than panthers, veileds, etc. If she still has a normal routine like moving around, basking under the heat light, drinking when offered then there should be time. She doesn't seem to be digging yet right? Let's assume at this point that she's not been ready to lay yet and thus there is not a medical emergency. Have you considered doing something to turn her entire normal cage floor into diggable soil? Shop around, maybe you could find a tray or tub that fits perfectly inside her cage bottom. Or fabricate some solid walls to hold in the sand against the screen? It might be a pain and quite messy but it would hopefully be the least stressful to stay where she's been. At some point nature has to then take over. If not, it wasn't meant to be. All you can do is provide everything she needs to feel comfortable and healthy, and then wait. Chameleons have been successfully laying their own eggs for 25 million years. Human beings, in our current form, have only been around for a small fraction of that time. You have to trust she'll know what to do when it comes time.

i put her into a larger trash can 32 gall lots of space for her and she seems to be doing fine in there also i dont want to keep moving her back and forth so i honestly dont know what to do anymore.....

If you think she's doing ok in there then I'd say leave her then. Is it set up so that she can spot bask for warmth? Normal activity or does she seem distressed (pacing, etc)? Any digging yet?

Edit: Ok, then she's probably just not ready yet although it could be soon. They will slow down the eating as the eggs displace stomach room. Drinking a lot is great. Like it or not, you may just haver to wait.

Last edited:
she seems to be ok in there she isnt showing any dark colors shes hydrated i have a house bulb heating her a dripper and two uvb tube bulbs here are a few pics of the whole setup and her i tried to get a pic of that shows her eggs bulging out but couldnt tell me what you think
DSC02446.jpg

DSC02445.jpg

DSC02444.jpg

DSC02442.jpg

DSC02440.jpg

DSC02436.jpg

DSC02437.jpg

Use potting soil, and put the trash can where no one can see or bother her. She will then start to dig test holes and when she finds the right spot she will then lay her eggs.

Is the dirt moist enough to clump in your hand. It needs to be moist enough and able to hold up a tunnel once your cham begins digging. If it is moist but unable to clump, try adding some organic soil.

i had potting soil in the smaller trash can but i took it out it was moist and smelled really bad so i went to home depot and bought sand it dosent smell...would this be ok for her..??? i also mist the trash can a lot and i tried to cmalp it and its fine just like beach sand....

i think my parents are going to kill me one of these days the trash can i bought seems to have a hole and all the water i mist leeks down and out i found a huge puddle and my father just did the floors opps..lol

Well...she looks much different from the last pics I remember seeing. She's lost a lot of her fat reserves. You can see the areas behind her eyes and her tail base are sinking inwards. This is presumably because her stomach has no room because of all those eggs. She needs the eggs out so she can start eating again. I'm hoping one of the vets on the forum might pop in to give a suggestion as to treatment but, I'm afraid this is approaching an emergency at the very least because of her fat loss and low nutrition intake.

I can't believe she hasn't been trying to dig at all, that must be so uncomfortable. How's her strength? Does she move around a lot or just hang out in one spot?

she moves around shes not as active as before but she still moves around...wow i wasnt expecting for this type of news...

Although my intuition suspects it probably won't work, I'll pass along something that I've tried twice that worked both times. I had a pardalis and an oustaleti that I was worrying about not doing much digging. I started a small hole, about 5 inches deep and placed them in it. The holes were deep enough that they were below ground level, but further digging needed to be done. Both times the females dug out a bit more and deposited the eggs.

If you wanted to try it, I would think digging a bit deeper might be a good idea. I kinda suspect by the photos that she's feeling rather weak. I would dig it where the opening is somewhat below the leaves you have in there. Not totally covered, but obscured somewhat. Dig it down maybe 6 or 7 inches, preferably with some overhang. You want a gentle slope so that she can easily walk up or down it. Gently place her into the hole enough that she is clearly below the ground level, facing down, and walk away quickly. Check on her from a distance if you can, after a while. Hopefully she's ready to lay and has the strength.

Don't know much else I can offer but good luck.

i started a hole about 10 mins for her i had to check on the trash can because the stupid thing is leaking and water is coming out im soo mad rite now b.c home depot is a piece of crap by my house...but anyways i made a hole about 3 inches deep and see tomorrow what happens and if nothing them ill dig one by the leaves and place her in it.....how wide should the hole be? i really hope this works b.c i want to put her back into her enclosure with the death of my lil man and her not laying and little things like the garbage leaking water i feel like everything has gone wrong

Try to duplicate what she would dig. Just a little taller than she is with just a little space on both sides. Make sure the soil, sand, whatever holds a tunnel well and isn't too wet. BTW, you're turning her lights off at night right?

yepp her timers are just like in her regular cage oki i will try to dup a hole and put her in it today

Pre digging her hole is a great idea. That is what I did with April last time I was worried about her not laying, and it worked out greatly...hopefull yours will do as well...

im going to pre dig a hole and try to put her in it a lil later because i came home just now and saw she is just relaxing on the sand and not on a branch should i leave here like this for now or continue to dig a bigger hole and put her in there?

...she is just relaxing on the sand and not on a branch should i leave here like this for now or continue to dig a bigger hole and put her in there?

Relaxing is not good in her condition. Dig the hole. Now.

An emergency vet trip today might be a better idea.

Good luck.
T

Back
Top Bottom