Eating Chameleons?

I'm sorry if I in any way offended you no aggression of any kind was intended. You make a valid point.
I clearly could have phrased that better. I intentionally didn't mention the region of the world to avoid doing so. Culture was also an inaccuracy as the practice is not widespread through out the region currently but does exist. Family history would have been a better term as no modern person ever woke up one day and came up with this suggestion but rather it was taught, generally by relatives or local community. I probably could have said animals but the most glaring example occurs with dogs. I understand areas of South America engage in a similar practice with guinea pigs, no one assumes all South Americans do so. No clear thinking person would make that assumption of any individual based on race.
I'm so sorry, when I wrote that earlier I was very sensitive and definitely not thinking clearly. I was reading into things too deeply and made a mistake of writing that, so I am so sorry. Reading through the news about all of the killings and attacks on Asian/Americans these past few weeks has made me pretty upset, hence why I wrote that. I am definitely in the wrong here and thank you to responding to my comment with such maturity and kindness. This has definitely been a great lesson for me to learn, so thank you very much for that! Once again, I am deeply sorry.

Okay guys, I got an update! I read through the entire thread and it did get a bit side tracked, (not complaining though, I laughed a lot)! I think the basis of what everyone agreed on was eat what you want, just don't torture them and make sure you kill them humanely. I totally agree with this statement, tell me if I didn't sum this conversation up correctly. As for the update, I told my parents about this and they had a very similar reaction to you guys. We decided to have a call with his family (we can't see them in person because of Covid), and we had a long discussion. His parents "claimed" that they kill them humanely, but my friend tells me otherwise. I can't be totally sure on who is telling the truth but judging by the way his parents were talking it seemed like they were trying to hide something. I'm not exactly sure how to say it, but you know when you're talking to someone and it's pretty obvious they're lying? That's what it was like. They were just stuttering a lot and had varying responses like "oh we would never do that" and "we used to, but now we stoped." If they truly don't and never have, why would they say different responses? I'm not sure what more I can do because during the entire conversation they were very vague and defensive, basically telling us to mind our own business. I'm open to any suggestions but it seems like they're pretty annoyed and mad at us.

Hey guys, so I just found out that one of my friends owns a chameleon which is super cool because we both love them, but apparently his family eats them. Yes, they cook the chameleons and eat them. I'm not sure if this is heard of but that makes me pretty sad considering how beautiful and amazing they are. I do not want to say anything because I am afraid that they may be perceiving it as me disrespecting them, but I feel the need to defend the chameleons from being on their dinner plates. Yes, I know it's not really any different from humans eating cows or chickens, but what can I say, chameleons have my heart! This is also pretty weird but he sent me a photo of the chameleons they're about to eat and they are insanely overweight. I think they do this so that they taste yummier. Honestly I can't even believe I am typing this it is truly breaking my heart. Apparently they also hold a belief that they taste yummier when they are in pain before you kill them, so they torture them in ways that I do not want to repeat. I am speechless and I do not know what to say. I want to save these chameleons, but judging on their appearance and especially weight, it appears they are done for in any situation. Is this common where people eat chameleons? I'm not sure if it is some sort of exotic cuisine but personally, before my friend told me about this, I never in a million years would have thought that some people eat chameleons. They eat at least 5 every month, and I think that they catch them in the wild because the ones breeders sell are so expensive. They live in Florida so they have an endless supply of chameleons. Is this illegal so steal chameleons from their natural habitat and eat them? Do I need to contact the authorities?
This is a trolling bait, right? This isn’t a serious thread, is it?

Whoa lmao. I know you're being raised in a society that wants you to feel offended, but it's pretty dumb IMHO(not saying you are dumb, you seem intelligent, but the idea of microaggressions and offense over realities) . Anyone here that knows jacksjill knows shes not a rude person. And you're also making assumptions about her without knowing her background. You literally said they are torturing the animal before eating and SOME asian cultures DO this. It's very relative to this topic because as you said, they torture their food, so that makes us wonder if they're from a culture that does this. Sorry, it's just facts. -coming from a person with a mostly hispanic immigrant family.
hey babe! make sure to re read what u r saying. i don't understand. Grammarly can help u if u want. it is free. dinothecham isnt in a society that wants her to be offended, dino's raised in a society where dino is constantly offended because of the blunt racism. I agree with u dino. That person did said asians eat animals and torture theme but what about the Europeans. You think, oh I'm Hispanic i cant be racist but infact you can be. You may not try to be but you are. THere are these stereotypes that are engraved in u and jillys head, for one asians eating these animals. Forgetting about the other people, arent you. That is because they arent sterotyped to eat them.

xoxo camluvr (asianamerican)

I think you missed the torturing part 😉, which is illegal id assume, and ethically wrong . I have no problem with the eating part, as weird as it is lol.
i had to try chams a few months back and they were act yummy. like you could get flavours such as butter chicken or even sourcream and chilli. I personally didn't like the plain ones with only salt and pepper bc the skin was really flavourless.

I am agreeing with most of what i see the torturing is the part that makes it wrong. The eating, I dont have an issue with the eating because theyre invasive in florida. Even though i have no clue how they find chams tasty.
OMG! they r so yummy. Here in alabama, you can get different flavours. my brother really didn't like them tho!

F5574633-803F-4BC8-BA69-5A41CE796683.jpeg

hey babe! make sure to re read what u r saying. i don't understand. Grammarly can help u if u want. it is free. dinothecham isnt in a society that wants her to be offended, dino's raised in a society where dino is constantly offended because of the blunt racism. I agree with u dino. That person did said asians eat animals and torture theme but what about the Europeans. You think, oh I'm Hispanic i cant be racist but infact you can be. You may not try to be but you are. THere are these stereotypes that are engraved in u and jillys head, for one asians eating these animals. Forgetting about the other people, arent you. That is because they arent sterotyped to eat them.

xoxo camluvr (asianamerican)
I understand where you are coming from. I can imagine it is frustrating to be part of a wonderful culture that constantly gets thought of as dog-eaters when in fact not all Asians eat dogs. @JacksJill clarified this statement. She said her original statement was ill-worded and then apologized for hurting dino's feelings. Learning is an on-going process for all of us, but it doesn't help your cause or agenda when you come on here starting fights with people. Why rub it in our faces that chameleons taste good? What do you want us to say? That we are glad that the two grams of meat were well worth the effort? We applaud you for your efforts in reducing the number of invasive species in Florida. We have no beef with you--and especially not with Dino as she is extremely mature when it comes to interacting with others. I understand you are frustrated, and you have the right to be. But understand that frustration is not going to help others see your side.

There is no need to push people's buttons. Though feel free to keep on doing it, we are deprived of drama here on the forums.

Back
Top Bottom