Eating Chameleons?

I don't think it's right to assume that his family comes from the same culture as those who eat dog and skin them alive, or associate them with that in any way. I don't think it's relative to this topic, and as an Asian/American who has faced racism, micro and macro aggressions, I find this to be a micro aggression and offensive. The way you worded this subtly implied that his family has some sort of connection to those who eat and torture dogs as part of their culture, and this is pretty stereotypical. Keep in mind that many micro aggressions are not intentional, like I'm sure yours wasn't, but it's important that people of color such as myself call people out on things such as this. There's no bad blood between us, I just want everyone to be kind and sensitive to minorities.
I'm sorry if I in any way offended you no aggression of any kind was intended. You make a valid point.
I clearly could have phrased that better. I intentionally didn't mention the region of the world to avoid doing so. Culture was also an inaccuracy as the practice is not widespread through out the region currently but does exist. Family history would have been a better term as no modern person ever woke up one day and came up with this suggestion but rather it was taught, generally by relatives or local community. I probably could have said animals but the most glaring example occurs with dogs. I understand areas of South America engage in a similar practice with guinea pigs, no one assumes all South Americans do so. No clear thinking person would make that assumption of any individual based on race.

IMHO the issue is the cruelty...is it not?
That’s not really a fact here is it? Just hearsay. We know they are eating them by their own admission, we have no idea if the other stuff is even happening. The OP said “ I think “ not, I know....

That’s not really a fact here is it? Just hearsay. We know they are eating them by their own admission, we have no idea if the other stuff is even happening. The OP said “ I think “ not, I know....
The OP said..."Apparently they also hold a belief that they taste yummier when they are in pain before you kill them, so they torture them in ways that I do not want to repeat"....

I'm sorry if I in any way offended you no aggression of any kind was intended. You make a valid point.
I clearly could have phrased that better. I intentionally didn't mention the region of the world to avoid doing so. Culture was also an inaccuracy as the practice is not widespread through out the region currently but does exist. Family history would have been a better term as no modern person ever woke up one day and came up with this suggestion but rather it was taught, generally by relatives or local community. I probably could have said animals but the most glaring example occurs with dogs. I understand areas of South America engage in a similar practice with guinea pigs, no one assumes all South Americans do so. No clear thinking person would make that assumption of any individual based on race.

See, jill as usual trying to calm the waters and be respectful.

those poor chameleons, it would be much better if they were not tortured like that and forced to eat more than they should. They just have to make it worse by abusing them and then eating them smh. However We also gut load our live stock on farms so i dont find the fattening part to be "torture" obviously though, i dont support it

Last edited:
Do I find this to be nasty? Yes, but I also eat chicken, cows, pigs, fish, and turkeys...

Certain cultures are raised with different beliefs and practices. In areas of China and Korea eating dog is a common practice. In parts of Africa people still hunt Elephants for their meat. Then you have dolphins that are eaten in areas of Japan. And guinea pigs are considered a delicacy in Peru. Heck in areas of the United states eating alligators, snakes, and frog legs is a normal thing.

Not sure how this thread got turned into someone being offended that these cultures were referenced... It is a fact. But in this world we live in you can not say anything anymore without people assuming that your being rude, prejudice, or racist.

Where you grow up and your family influences everything from what you eat to how you live to what you believe. Nothing wrong with that at all. It is all part of a persons culture.

Last edited:
I love you all, but this isn't about whether it's okay or not to eat them, it's about whether it's okay or not to torture(adrenaline release that makes people think it tenderizes the meat) the animal. They are brutally tortured in these cases, like medieval stuff. I'm not saying that's what this family is doing or that many people around the world do this, but that it is a thing in some cultures and that's what a lot of us were curious about.

Back
Top Bottom