Eating Chameleons?

Do I find this to be nasty? Yes, but I also eat chicken, cows, pigs, fish, and turkeys...

Certain cultures are raised with different beliefs and practices. In areas of China and Korea eating dog is a common practice. In parts of Africa people still hunt Elephants for their meat. Then you have dolphins that are eaten in areas of Japan. And guinea pigs are considered a delicacy in Peru. Heck in areas of the United states eating alligators, snakes, and frog legs is a normal thing.

Not sure how this thread got turned into someone being offended that these cultures were referenced... It is a fact. But in this world we live in you can not say anything anymore without people assuming that your being rude, prejudice, or racist.

Where you grow up and your family influences everything from what you eat to how you live to what you believe. Nothing wrong with that at all. It is all part of a persons culture.

Agree with your overall point, but for sake of discussion, IDT it's fair to compare frogs/lizards to elephants or dolphins. Killing them is hard to justify and in most cases much of the meat is wasted. That said, if a tribe lived in the area and that's all they knew, I wouldn't judge them for it. I'd be doing the same in that situation. Most people these days know better though. These animals, dolphins especially, are so intelligent there's an argument for them having human rights(as far as killing them goes at least).

Oh and it got brought up because OP was saying asians are stereotyped to torture and kill all kinds of animals in this practice to make meat better. I don't believe that, as a human, I imagine most people in general would not do or even want to do that. But it is a fact a few pockets of the world take part in the practice. Like someone else said, it's a cruel world, however I think things have gotten a little better over the last 100 years. JMO.

Agree with your overall point, but for sake of discussion, IDT it's fair to compare frogs/lizards to elephants or dolphins. Killing them is hard to justify and in most cases much of the meat is wasted. That said, if a tribe lived in the area and that's all they knew, I wouldn't judge them for it. I'd be doing the same in that situation. Most people these days know better though. These animals, dolphins especially, are so intelligent there's an argument for them having human rights(as far as killing them goes at least).
This is also a tough arguement considering we kill and pigs all the time, which are also incredibly intelligent animals.

Ehhhh I think all animals are equally as amazing. Would I eat a dolphin or an elephant or even a chameleon? Hell no. But I eat a bunch of other animals and they are just as incredible. Heck pigs are extremely smart. Cows can be sweet and kind.

I was really just trying to show that all over the world people eat animals that we would never consider food. But heck we eat animals that other cultures and religions frown upon.

All boils down to the beliefs you are raised with and in your culture what is considered a normal practice. It is what it is. We do not all grow up in one area with one language, with one religion, with one way of living. So of course what people eat is going to differ greatly across this planet.

This is also a tough arguement considering we kill and pigs all the time, which are also incredibly intelligent animals.

Yup, you're correct! Totally agree, I forgot about them. While still being off from elephants and definitely dolphins, they're smarter than dogs. Only plus is there is plenty of pigs(in fact, too many) and I'd expect most are put down humanely. Dolphins and elephants get killed brutally and are often wasted. Elephants are endangered and I'm sure some dolphins are threatened? Not sure though tbh h

Ehhhh I think all animals are equally as amazing. Would I eat a dolphin or an elephant or even a chameleon? Hell no. But I eat a bunch of other animals and they are just as incredible. Heck pigs are extremely smart. Cows can be sweet and kind.

I was really just trying to show that all over the world people eat animals that we would never consider food. But heck we eat animals that other cultures and religions frown upon.

All boils down to the beliefs you are raised with and in your culture what is considered a normal practice. It is what it is. We do not all grow up in one area with one language, with one religion, with one way of living. So of course what people eat is going to differ greatly across this planet.

Missing what I'm saying. No one is saying they aren't equally amazing. We're talking intelligence. Elephants literally go on murder sprees from human caused trauma. They hold grudges, have lifelong memories, etc. Dolhpins have languages, form bonds with other dolphins, even with killer whales. It's kind of like saying I think humans and all animals are amazing, so it's okay to eat other people because that's a culture's preference. Humans are animals afterall, but we wouldn't be cool with anyone killing anyone. Elephants and dolphins are also threatened species, they are not humanely killed. Sure if we don't know better, like I said, I wouldn't blame someone/or a group. Most people know better these days though.

Sorry I'm just rambling because it's an interesting topic we got on. I'm not trying to be rude. Texting can just be so difficult to convey the point we're trying to get across. No intent to come off condescending, just a habit of mine to continually restate myself to make sure I'm being clear.

Missing what I'm saying. No one is saying they aren't equally amazing. We're talking intelligence. Elephants literally go on murder sprees from human caused trauma. They hold grudges, have lifelong memories, etc. Dolhpins have languages, form bonds with other dolphins, even with killer whales. It's kind of like saying I think humans and all animals are amazing, so it's okay to eat other people because that's a culture's preference. Humans are animals afterall, but we wouldn't be cool with anyone killing anyone. Elephants and dolphins are also threatened species, they are not humanely killed. Sure if we don't know better, like I said, I wouldn't blame someone/or a group. Most people know better these days though.
LOL I get what your saying... I am not saying it is right either... I raised rats as a child and they are extremely intelligent. People still eat them too. I think the thing is that people do not care about how smart an animal is. If that is on the menu where they live it is just a source of food.

LOL I get what your saying... I am not saying it is right either... I raised rats as a child and they are extremely intelligent. People still eat them too. I think the thing is that people do not care about how smart an animal is. If that is on the menu where they live it is just a source of food.

Yup very true. If they were killed ethically and we had plenty of them, I wouldn't mind as much. I don't at all blame groups that came up in the world eating those animals, gotta survive! But there are times when being progressive is a good thing, as the world as a whole becomes more educated, resources become more available, it's good to take a step back and treat life around us better. To make the planet a better place.

I'd hate to see any animal mistreated, chicken or dolphin lol. I love eating meat, but there's responsible ways to go about it IMO.

Sorry I'm just rambling because it's an interesting topic we got on. I'm not trying to be rude. Texting can just be so difficult to convey the point we're trying to get across. No intent to come off condescending, just a habit of mine to continually restate myself to make sure I'm being clear.
Yeah like y’all talking crazy about not eating bacon what’s wrong with you.

Yup very true. If they were killed ethically and we had plenty of them, I wouldn't mind as much. I don't at all blame groups that came up in the world eating those animals, gotta survive! But there are times when being progressive is a good thing, as the world as a whole becomes more educated, resources become more available, it's good to take a step back and treat life around us better. To make the planet a better place.

I'd hate to see any animal mistreated, chicken or dolphin lol. I love eating meat, but there's responsible ways to go about it IMO.
I totally agree with all of this.

Back
Top Bottom