Earning their trust

ADotsalot

So I've had my veiled chameleon for about a month. After a few weeks of letting her get used to the place when I got her, I started to hold her once everyday for about 30 minutes to an hour. She eats outside of her cage so she knows that the outside of her cage is safe. And she has eaten out of my hand quite a lot. Yet, she's still scared of me. She's always trying to get off of me and run away. I never pick her up and let her climb onto me, so I'm not being rough with her. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I know these things take time but she's as scared of me as she was when I first got her. Also her colors will be bright while she's on me but as soon as she gets off me her colors will get super dark.

Gotta' walk before you run. If she's still afraid of you then you're trying to hold her before she's ready. The goal here is to make her see you as a positive thing, and forcing her to do what she hates probably won't help.

You said she hand-feeds, which is a great start. But instead of holding her against her will, start with gentle touches while feeding. Don't move her, just give her a gentle pet.

A month is nothing, by the way. It took me almost a year to get my boy to climb onto my hand of his own will.

Gotta' walk before you run. If she's still afraid of you then you're trying to hold her before she's ready. The goal here is to make her see you as a positive thing, and forcing her to do what she hates probably won't help.

You said she hand-feeds, which is a great start. But instead of holding her against her will, start with gentle touches while feeding. Don't move her, just give her a gentle pet.

A month is nothing, by the way. It took me almost a year to get my boy to climb onto my hand of his own will.
Thank you so much for the advice. I didn't relise I was going to fast. Im glad you told me :) I will deffinetly do that

So I've had my veiled chameleon for about a month. After a few weeks of letting her get used to the place when I got her, I started to hold her once everyday for about 30 minutes to an hour. She eats outside of her cage so she knows that the outside of her cage is safe. And she has eaten out of my hand quite a lot. Yet, she's still scared of me. She's always trying to get off of me and run away. I never pick her up and let her climb onto me, so I'm not being rough with her. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I know these things take time but she's as scared of me as she was when I first got her. Also her colors will be bright while she's on me but as soon as she gets off me her colors will get super dark.

Trust is formed with a history of non-threatening interactions. That doesn't seem to be the what is happening in your interactions with your chameleon.

I'm really curious what actually happens when you describe your interaction with her this way: "She's always trying to get off me and run away. I never pick her up and let her climb on me....." If she trying to escape, what do you actually do?

Any chameleon I've ever handled that wanted to get off me and run away did so unless I grabbed it. So while you might not pick her up, you must be grabbing her every time you have her out, which seem to be for half an hour every day. That's a lot of terror your little girl is experiencing, not exactly a trust building interaction.

Trust is formed with a history of non-threatening interactions. That doesn't seem to be the what is happening in your interactions with your chameleon.

I'm really curious what actually happens when you describe your interaction with her this way: "She's always trying to get off me and run away. I never pick her up and let her climb on me....." If she trying to escape, what do you actually do?

Any chameleon I've ever handled that wanted to get off me and run away did so unless I grabbed it. So while you might not pick her up, you must be grabbing her every time you have her out, which seem to be for half an hour every day. That's a lot of terror your little girl is experiencing, not exactly a trust building interaction.
Oh no I do not pick her up because I read that you might pull a chameleons claws out in doing so. I'm very careful with her. I will put my hand in front of her (sometimes under her chin) and wait for her to climb up on me. I know that doesn't make much since if she's trying to get off me but that's why I'm asking. Cause it doesn't seem I'm doing anything that would distress her... I'm probably just going to fast :(

I've had my 3 month old Cham for about 2 months now and he won't climb onto me either. They are babaies and their first instinct towards a hand is to run from it. Just keep doing what you are doing and she will get used to u. I try to bring my Cham out everyday for at least just 1 min sitting on my hand doing nothing. He eats out of my hand but still won't walk on. It takes time don't worry!!

I've had my 3 month old Cham for about 2 months now and he won't climb onto me either. They are babaies and their first instinct towards a hand is to run from it. Just keep doing what you are doing and she will get used to u. I try to bring my Cham out everyday for at least just 1 min sitting on my hand doing nothing. He eats out of my hand but still won't walk on. It takes time don't worry!!
Thank you so much for the amazing advice! :)

Back
Top Bottom