Early UV burn?

petertt

well lets get started with this to catch up with some of you..

https://www.chameleonforums.com/hi-guys-new-chameleons-24260/

so now, i have noticed that she is starting to get a grey color on her face, it is very very faint so far but from doing some reading on the net it couple turn into uv burn. no my question is this, can my bulb be too strong for my cage?

here is the bulb i am using ,

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/solar_glo.php

i have using the 160watt.
is there a difference how far the light is from the cham for uv absorption or it doesn't matter?

also can i reduce the time that the bulb is on? for example it is on for about 10 hours now, if i cut it but 2 to 3 hours will it harm him or it is safe to do this slowly?
here are some pictures and you guys can judge.

DSC_5313.jpg

DSC_5315.jpg

DSC_5317.jpg

I am no expert by any means. But you veiled looks great to me, it has some very nice color to it. Maybe its beginning to shed?

hmm, maybe but he still has skin on from his last shed, on his legs and tail:S

i did notice a little loss in appetite , but i saw him eating the soil, of my plants, i haven't repotted the plant yet , nor i plan to, iam going to put some rocks around the soil so he cant eat it any more, also is it normal for it wanting to leave the cage , seems like every time iam near the cage or open the door he wants out?

Him wanting out all the time could ethier be he likes you :D or its to hot in that cage. 160 watts sounds way to hot, i use a 60 watt for a basking temp of around 85-89 and it works great.

-Jared

Im guessing the reason she wants out is because she is receptive (you can tell by the colors) and that she is trying to find a mate.

Also how are you measuring your basking temps? The best way to do it is to get a digital thermometer with a probe and fasten the probe, face up, on the basking spot. Remember as you chameleon grows you will need to move the basking spot farther from the lamp, this is because your chameleon is getting taller, and closer to the basking lamp.

I noticed from your previous post that your temps push 100 some times. not only is this too hot, but it can be a contributing factor to a female producing a very large clutch, which is unhealthy.

well the temp isnt more then 91 right now, it only gets to the 100 when the sun is beaming on windows in my room, and i solved that problem by putting up some blinds in my room, i also dont plan to breed this cham ,

iam using a analog cooking thermometer which is very accurate, i leave it in her basking area and leave it for 20-30 min,

well lets get started with this to catch up with some of you..

https://www.chameleonforums.com/hi-guys-new-chameleons-24260/

so now, i have noticed that she is starting to get a grey color on her face, it is very very faint so far but from doing some reading on the net it couple turn into uv burn. no my question is this, can my bulb be too strong for my cage?

here is the bulb i am using ,

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/solar_glo.php

i have using the 160watt.
is there a difference how far the light is from the cham for uv absorption or it doesn't matter?

also can i reduce the time that the bulb is on? for example it is on for about 10 hours now, if i cut it but 2 to 3 hours will it harm him or it is safe to do this slowly?
here are some pictures and you guys can judge.

DSC_5313.jpg

DSC_5315.jpg

DSC_5317.jpg

yes distance is very important. if that is the product listed above, it should be placed no closer than 12-15in from top of enclosure. in your case (160w) i would go about 16in. this may not be close enough to generate sufficent heat. most of these super UVB bulbs cant be used as basking lights, even if they say you can.

mercury varpour lights can have 6 feet of usable UVB, that is why they arent good sources of heat. and i was wrong on distance.100 watt flood – 12”
160 watt flood – 18”
275 watt flood – 24”

well the temp isnt more then 91 right now, it only gets to the 100 when the sun is beaming on windows in my room, and i solved that problem by putting up some blinds in my room, i also dont plan to breed this cham ,

iam using a analog cooking thermometer which is very accurate, i leave it in her basking area and leave it for 20-30 min,

91 is too hot for a female unless you are trying to make her have a lagre clutch and that's bad for her health. I kkeo my female between 80 and 82 and my male between 87 an 89.

just a suggestion, you might want to put some denser plant life in there. it will create shaded places to get away from direct heat.

so my best bet is to hang this from my roof and about a foot and a half away from the enclosure and use a regular hear source as a basking area? dose it have to be a light or can it be a night heating element?

what are the risks that if the bulb is too close?

If your still worried, I would switch to a 60 watt. You could monitor the temps and if they aren't what you want then change it. I mean what do lightbulbs run today 60cents??

thats what i would suggest. i have used that setup for about 5 months. i use a 60w outdoor bulb for heat( it is splash resistant, i have auto mister and dripper. i don,t want bulb to shatter.) but 60-75 watt standard bulb is fine.?? is that a florecent light on top?

so my best bet is to hang this from my roof and about a foot and a half away from the enclosure and use a regular hear source as a basking area? dose it have to be a light or can it be a night heating element?

what are the risks that if the bulb is too close?

i have no experience with ceramic heaters. i like you thought i was gonna be able to do it all with one bulb. Tip i also use a timer that makes my (mega-ray) come on 2hrs after basking light comes on. and 2hrs earlyier than it shuts off to better simulate true dusk and dawn. the risk would be UVB burn, this might effect D3 balance also i am still studying on that one.

well i mounted the blub 14 inches away from the enclosure and add another 2 where the Cham basking spot is. iam getting a temp of 78-81 (that is with a cold and rainy day today)if it was sunny and during summer time i dont see a problem hitting 81-85 in the basking spot

Grizz that is a compact fluorescent light for my fish tank, it is just alot bigger then the fish tank goes over to my cage.

Back
Top Bottom