Drainage Systems for Cages - get creative!

Here are some examples:

Here's my drainage... drilled small holes on the floor and placed on top of shelving unit with rubbermaid container underneath. The shelving unit was $30 at Kmart.

full

full

Well I've been having some problems with water not going anywhere or building up so I've got a few ideas from members and todays went to lowes..

1.) PICTURE ONE: is the stand I bought ($43.00) it has 5 levels but I only used two. I will use the other 3 when I get more cages.

2) PICTURE TWO: Is the small hole I made in the stand so the PVC pipe can fit to the drain in the tank.

3.) PICTURE THREE: I cut a 2" round hole in the foam board at the bottom of the cage and put the drain plug in.

4.) PICTURE FOUR: Is the 2" PVC pipe attached to the 2" drain plug that is attached to the bottom of the cage.

5.) PICTURE FIVE: The whole cage after it was put back together.

PRICE: Here is what I spent to get this done today. (2) PVC Drain plugs $2.99 each, (1) 12" PVC Pipe $3.99, (1) Drain bucket $1.89, (1) 2" drill bit ($7.99), (1) Hacksaw to cut PVC $7.99, (1) 5 Level Stand $42.99 for a total of $70.83 THIS IS FOR TWO CAGES ALSO not just one :) Also plant stand was $7.99 :( just needed something until I get Daves stands..

25289511.jpg

57440585.jpg

58178293.jpg

56432055.jpg

18728815.jpg

Here are some pics of my setup along with a few pics of my baby veiled chameleon, Tesla.

DSC08344_zps0d7aa889.jpg

DSC08341_zpsd060b345.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow great ideas everyone!!

Well, I don't have any pictures of my drainage system but I do have a video of my chameleon cage setup that I made and I describe my drainage system a little. You could always check it out here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RR1amuIVY4

Basically I bought myself a plastic dresser from Walmart for about $16. It has 3 drawers. My cage is placed on top of the dresser so what I did was use the first drawer as a drainage system. I drilled holes from the bottle of the cage into the dresser so now whenever I mist, the water just drips into the drawer and whenever it's a quarter full of water, I just dump it out and start again. It was pretty simple. Hope this helps anyone!

Great idea!

Here is mine, I don't have a pic underneath since I set it up but I just have a bucket underneath the drain hole in the sink. I also drilled a few holes in the white PVC the plant sits in. I also just realized when looking at these pics, I still have not taken the stickers off yet that have the letters.....LOL
0408bba7c083da6b7f2dea4a518d7e7e.jpg

30d2e9d77fd300f55df4765ca20ba5a8.jpg

967fd8e24222422d11f053f5cc073c38.jpg

Great idea!

Here is mine, I don't have a pic underneath since I set it up but I just have a bucket underneath the drain hole in the sink. I also drilled a few holes in the white PVC the plant sits in. I also just realized when looking at these pics, I still have not taken the stickers off yet that have the letters.....LOL
0408bba7c083da6b7f2dea4a518d7e7e.jpg

30d2e9d77fd300f55df4765ca20ba5a8.jpg

967fd8e24222422d11f053f5cc073c38.jpg

Can u link what sink u used to make that please :)
And is that 3/4 furniture grade ply?

I got the sink from lowes on clearance. It is a utility sink. They have several different kinds.
The wood I got was 1/2 inch blond wood from lowes as well.

I purchased a pedestal sink cabinet from home depot to use as a stand and cut an 18 1/2" wide section out of the top, then braced two 1x2's across to hold the cage. I then replaced the acrylic bottom with two layers of fluorescent light diffusing grid. Directly below the cage is a cat litter box to catch water, urate, bugs, etc. It cams out pretty nice, actually!
jysege2a.jpg

ute9u7e3.jpg

ahy7a8ep.jpg

Here's a link to the thread (and pictures) of the set up my husband made for my two veileds back in October. Now that I have a third veiled in a DIY cage with no drainage system (except me!), he's wanting to change it so they are all uniform in size and using the same drainage system. This is a great thread and I will be sure to show it to him tonite so he can get some ideas! thanks for everyone's input!! Lisa

https://www.chameleonforums.com/tickled-pink-about-my-new-cages-setup-95898/

Great ideas

WOW.. A lot of wonderful drainage setups. Supergirl, I have the same enclosure and I just put mine on an old bird cage stand. (was gonna throw it away and today I discovered it was the perfect size for my cage). I will be drilling holes tomorrow and installing my live plants. I am sure I have a bucket around here somewhere and this will solve my problem of cleaning up water every day.

Now, anybody have any ideas for a good, easy, and cheap home made drip system that looks better than the red solo cup I am using now...lol

Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas...
Virginia

Back
Top Bottom