Drainage Systems for Cages - get creative!

What would be a goo draining system for a small glass bottom??? Drilling is out of the question until I get a bigger home! Mostly heavy misting for a baby veiled. placing the soil and cleaning the rocks every two days is just to much and to messy!>.<

Cut the silicone out and replace with mesh or plastic plastic is much easier to drill. Failing that get a wet and dry Hoover and suck it out

Built a 3' high base. Removed the plastic bottom and installed some mesh for easy drainage. Lined the inside if the cabinet with a shower curtain to create a cone shape. Glued a funnel to the bottom of the shower curtain and attached a hose for draining into a bucket. Thanks to this site for all the wonderful ideas.

Last step, decorating and adding a Mist King.Then I can finally add a Chameleon

Sorry for the sideways pictures. They weren't flipped when I uploaded them.

Wow this is pretty cool too. What kind of plastic did you use for the drain slope? Just make sure it's durable.

View attachment 74890View attachment 74891View attachment 74892View attachment 74893

Drainage for 2- 24x24x48 cages. Wood is African mahogany and Peruvian walnut. Sloping drain material is PVC shower pan liner with 3/4" PVC stock milled to fit 3/4" PVC pipe for support. Pipe is covered with a PVC lattice cut to fit the top.

Hi Reptoman,
I have a few questions regarding your design; I hope you don’t mind sharing:
1) How did you create the curved bottom towards the center
2) What tool did you use to make the half-moon inlay cuts
3) What size pvc pipe are you using
Looks great and I am getting ready to build my water drain system. I will share my finish product with you. I am also posting the same in your Facebook page. Regards.

Hi Reptoman,
I have a few questions regarding your design; I hope you don’t mind sharing:
1)How did you create the curved bottom towards the center
2)What tool did you use to make the half-moon inlay cuts
3)What size pvc pipe are you using
Looks great and I am getting ready to build my water drain system. I will share my finish product with you. I am also posting the same in your Facebook page. Regards.

Yak, All of your questions are answered in your post already.
1. PVC shower pan liner is basically a sheet of thick rubber that will naturally slope in the center.
2. Router
3. 3/4"

Mine is very low tech...

Drainage holes drilled in center of the cage floor - 3 or 4 per cage. A rock to hide the holes and to push that part of the floor down to create a slope to channel water to the holes.
full

And under the holes a container to catch water.
full

Can be multiple small containers
full

Or one large one.
full

The whole rack has a fabric curtain to cover everything below the cages when guests are over so it hides the drainage, the mistking pump and reservoir and all the misc supplies stored there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my drainage, it is a vinyl liner from lowes draped with a 5" depression at one end. I filled it with water to check where the bottom is. Cut a hole for the bar sink basket and now I can use a 1.5" standard sink piping to drain into a bucket. Cost ~20 bucks. Only draw back is I overlayed 1/4" metal screen so small insects can't be let go in the enclosure but we are mainly cup feeding while he is small

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 1,008
Here is my drainage! I already posted in the enclosure thread on accident I suppose I should put it where it is suppose to be!

It's very simple, the stand and drawers were only about 20 bucks at wal mart. Than I poked a hole in the center of each drawer and put a removable tub underneath!

I'm trying to figure a way for something to support the weight of the plant I have on the bottom of the cage. Right now I have a piece of plastic over a half inch piece of plywood with a hole in the centre but it's really not ideal.

Multiple cage/Multiple level drainage

We tilted the cages towards the back. Used one whole sheet of shower stall plastic along the bottom of the cage. U-shaped pvc gutter catches the running water from the back. This drains into a 5 gallon with bulk head on the bottom. Hose runs from bucket through hole in the floor to house drain.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• cage-drainage1.jpg
    cage-drainage1.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 3,303
  • cage-drainage2.jpg
    cage-drainage2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 3,258
Here's my free range for my melleri. Installed a shower drain in the center of the table, and lined it with a shower liner, then sloped concrete to the drain, exactly the same way you build a concrete shower to tile. I ran a 3/4" PVC pipe up through the center to hide the mister water line, and to store the water, and drainage water under the stand. You can see the pipe in the second pic. I don't know why they're sideways, sorry
image.jpg
image.jpg

I need to do something like this! Everyday my dripper doesn't make it into this plastic container I have sitting at the bottom of the cage and it builds up at the bottom until it overflows out onto the table my cage is sitting on. I need a simple shelf though! Lots of great ideas. :D

Experiments have failed

It looks like you all are waiting a lot of water and time maybe you should all check out my custom water recycler I' should have it done before Xmas but after thanksgiving. Also ipn everyone's cage I see a major problem for people with carpets I bet everyone of you doesn't have it 100% right.
The cage I know has a drainage system but its taken me two years to think and build this new cage . Can't wait to see its completion

Back
Top Bottom