Drainage Systems for Cages - get creative!

Owl is that all you have for us? Empty promises? How can we check out your custom water recycler without pictures or at least a better description of how it is designed or set up? Actually, I am glad you posted this because I have been wondering if it is possible to recycle mist water.

Personally, I don't think I'd want to try to reuse the misting water. I'd be afraid that there would be bacteria in it. I empty a 5 gallon bucket about once a week, and I use it on my plants, so it isn't wasted. I have had no leaks, and it's pretty convenient, and looks nice.
There's a million and one different ways to do stuff, and I like seeing everyone's setups and getting ideas. Owl, I look forward to seeing what you're doing, sounds pretty interesting. Do you have any pictures of what you have so far? How are you treating the recycled water so that it's clean enough for the chams to drink it?

Last edited:
It looks like you all are waiting a lot of water and time maybe you should all check out my custom water recycler I' should have it done before Xmas but after thanksgiving. Also ipn everyone's cage I see a major problem for people with carpets I bet everyone of you doesn't have it 100% right.
The cage I know has a drainage system but its taken me two years to think and build this new cage . Can't wait to see its completion

I can't wait to see it either. I'm assuming you have a degree in waste water treatment. I'm really interested in how much infrastructure you had to add to your system and the amount of engineering involved. As you already know, waste water purification for consumption is very involved, so I'm really interested in all aspects of how you've done it, and your opinion if it is worth it to save on water.

I'm sure you will make us all look like noobs. I can't wait to see what a 100% right drainage system looks like.

It is WASTE water and it is exactly that. Waste water should not be recycled for consumption in any situation. ;)

I agree with that 100%. I was just curious on how he planned to treat it. The way I look at it, if I wouldn't drink it, my cham isn't getting it. ;) Works great for watering all my houseplants.

Unfortunately I have my set up in the basement. Its good help with humidity but wish there was more natural sunlight although there is some. Our sump pump is in a little enclosure in our basement. I cut a hole on each side of the enclosure and ran my run off in to the sump pump which drains it for me and I don't have to take out the water! I only have 8 cages so it was fairly easy.

drain for glass bottom cage?

I have a 2'x2'x4' glass and mesh cage with a glass bottom. Doesn anyone have any ideas on how to create a drain in the bottom of the glass? I could make a false bottom but that would reduce the area for Hercules and seems like it would have to be a pretty large false bottom to capture an adequate amount of water. Thanks!

I have a 2'x2'x4' glass and mesh cage with a glass bottom. Doesn anyone have any ideas on how to create a drain in the bottom of the glass? I could make a false bottom but that would reduce the area for Hercules and seems like it would have to be a pretty large false bottom to capture an adequate amount of water. Thanks!

You can drill a hole in glass pretty easily. I have done it several times and it's a piece of cake! Check Amazon for diamond tipped drill bits and then google 'drilling glass'. If you have a cordless drill with a clutch adjustment you'll be best off. The clutch will allow the bit to stop if it catches during the rotation and won't crack the glass.

Drill bits

Drilling video

FYI, after you have finished the hole you need to use the bit as a sander in a way and go in and out of the hole to clean up any sharp edges. When you first go through typically the glass kinda breaks out since it is so thin and a VERY VERY sharp edge is left. Grinding will make it less dangerous but I still wouldn't put your fingers in the hole ;)

Make sure it's not tempered glass first, or it will shatter when drilled. You can wear a glove and use sandpaper to smooth the glass around the hole too. A 3/4" or 1" bulkhead would allow plenty of drainage and you can attach PVC to the drain then. Bulk Reef Supply carries all the bits and bulkheads, at very reasonable prices.

Leland

Make sure it's not tempered glass first, or it will shatter when drilled. You can wear a glove and use sandpaper to smooth the glass around the hole too. A 3/4" or 1" bulkhead would allow plenty of drainage and you can attach PVC to the drain then. Bulk Reef Supply carries all the bits and bulkheads, at very reasonable prices.

Leland

Yes, make sure it's not tempered glass lol. It will just fall apart. But tempered glass isn't very common in the reptile world like it is in the aquarium world.

I wouldn't use a bulkhead unless you have to though. You'll always have standing water with a bulkhead. If you do use a bulkhead, and even if you don't, place the hole near one corner and tilt the enclosure in that direction. That way the water mostly goes out of the cage. If you have a bulkhead it'll be a lot less water in the corner than if you had the enclosure level and the bulkhead in the middle.

If you go bulkheadless just make a couple of small holes maybe 1/2" two or three in a corner and then silicone a PVC fitting to the bottom. This isn't large volumes of water, you don't need super heavy duty flow...

IMG_6440 copy.jpg

vivs.jpg

vivs1.jpg

This is our drainage systems that we use for our chameleons. They can also be used as docking drainage systems if using a perforated flat base on your enclosure.

Muji those trays are fantastic. Do you have them available in the US anywhere?

We designed these ourselves and have three footprints for them. We provide many of these for the European market. We are happy to send them to the US but the shipping makes it very expensive unfortunately.

These are great ideas! I can't wait to upgrade Piccolo to his big boy cage and get a drainage system started!

To the recycle guy- well where is it then? Shouldn't you be done with it now? Calling these drainage systems out and not producing your own?

This is my drainage system that I designed myself. I used shower liner and a wooden frame.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 857
Back
Top Bottom