Drainage Systems for Cages - get creative!

I was afraid of a bit of soil or cricket getting stuck in the 1/4" drain tube, so I added a bit of screen between the shower drain cover and drain.

QLCWDLv6cKT_78VHnBlzBHmG91HhdLhm3xmMcuTUf1cVwX55oX2je_YKZNyicJEMKKp0h88R7BSPFgQN4XwIEmwdKkoQX8eiwTDotCdV_hUl-BaaW2z4bHs51wGjFdjrgKwewA2MX_R0H1WmlWMMexzezvHtaTrubrZvk26BoJ69uIOLbKx7qqYM92-xlZnYCDai67kBm8YtCFgYfhVwJZCwLLEL40ticPi6kG-AcjKlU7UeH0dSK0XWol0FPoozJJ03ckrjVZYtA7iJ2PDSjau9cq3SaHQPzEJ-b_daNH2WJQ4O8crRidNqkyms4NvGIDKM4qlNaFHR9WW0SYfDuDEvqVAlLTsE0LmmIQM7h3azTTphXFjaw0DyMnTaOiV4Ve9aMlXpaDXHKTTU0maTZCS715oWEuBmY7BnN4SiVxvWGHNmENCvO5HESZC3iodQ8ecZx6LknqzOX_OBjvz9FFDZEe-uP61i-6vkORBEPbr2EQl0qXk7_k2Ak15RS2td1uoBKhFFSzshfvqFIhjQvHDd4SKO=s1024

Can you reuse the drainage water for your drip system? Like what if I made the drain water go through some carbon back into the bucket then back into the cage?

Can you reuse the drainage water for your drip system? Like what if I made the drain water go through some carbon back into the bucket then back into the cage?

Ever heard the quote "water under the bridge"? Don't do it. You are just asking for problems.

My drainage system

After a week of owning my chameleon I changed my stand to a bathroom sink/vanity that drains underneath. I didnt like wiping the bottom out so often and didn't think the excess water was good for my live plants.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 818
Here it is with the doors closed

I'm really liking this setup! Can you take a closer pic of the bottom of the cage? Can you describe how the bottom tray is used/placed? Holes drilled into supplied bottom? If so, where do you drill the holes? Right in the middle? Do you find the cage needs to be lifted to clean the sink very often?

Thanks!

image.png Here's my design aquarium style stand with pvc tubing to set the cage on top shower liner below with an added drain going to a 5 gallon bucket below.

Well I'm always working on my enclosures, as I'm sure most of us do. My brain is always working and creating on how to improve my setups. So with the recent addition of another female Nosy Be, I needed to revamp my drip tray system. So a couple months ago as I was working on installing a set of barn doors in our family room, I found some awesome material at my local Lowes. Its PVC based material that is used in outdoor applications that comes in the typical 1x2, 1x4, and 1x6 configurations. I bought enough 1x6 and 1x2 material to do and custom drip pan for my 2x2x4 enclosure for my male, and 3 each 18x18x36's. My two year old female is in two of the 18's that I put together, and the new 10 month old is other. I used stainless steel screws, pre-drilled, and counter sunk everything. The bottom of the 2x2x4 was cut from a clothes washer pan also from Lowes. The bottom of the bigger custom drip pan for the 3x 18er's was cut from a 4x8 sheet of of shower liner stufff. I used a bar sink drain in the center of each tray that drips into a 5 gallon bucket located under each pan. I sandwiched the bottom materials between layers of 1x2 pvc material, and then siliconed in all of the layers. The attached pictures are of the custom drip pan for the triple 18" enclosures.
drip pan1.jpg
drip pan2.jpg
drip pan3.jpg
drip pan4.jpg
drip pan under.jpg

Well I'm always working on my enclosures, as I'm sure most of us do. My brain is always working and creating on how to improve my setups. So with the recent addition of another female Nosy Be, I needed to revamp my drip tray system. So a couple months ago as I was working on installing a set of barn doors in our family room, I found some awesome material at my local Lowes. Its PVC based material that is used in outdoor applications that comes in the typical 1x2, 1x4, and 1x6 configurations. I bought enough 1x6 and 1x2 material to do and custom drip pan for my 2x2x4 enclosure for my male, and 3 each 18x18x36's. My two year old female is in two of the 18's that I put together, and the new 10 month old is other. I used stainless steel screws, pre-drilled, and counter sunk everything. The bottom of the 2x2x4 was cut from a clothes washer pan also from Lowes. The bottom of the bigger custom drip pan for the 3x 18er's was cut from a 4x8 sheet of of shower liner stufff. I used a bar sink drain in the center of each tray that drips into a 5 gallon bucket located under each pan. I sandwiched the bottom materials between layers of 1x2 pvc material, and then siliconed in all of the layers. The attached pictures are of the custom drip pan for the triple 18" enclosures. View attachment 151066 View attachment 151067 View attachment 151068 View attachment 151069 View attachment 151070
I absolutely LOVE this build. Can we see the barn doors, too? :)

Barn door mocked up2.jpg Barn doors outside.jpg Barn door mocked up.jpg
I absolutely LOVE this build. Can we see the barn doors, too? :)
Thanks MelissaB, I truely enjoy a good reason to break out my tools. Attached are pics of the custom trim work that I did on the original opening into our family room. The door is just a 28" slad that I used to mock up for the final doors that I have on order still. The final doors are dual 28" Melrose solid core doors from Masonite, and pre-finished from the factory.

Very nice! I'm finishing my basement, and was thinking about the same type of sliding door for the furnace room, using a louvered door for air exchange. May have to borrow your technique. :)

image.jpeg
Finally got my mist King and completed my drain I drilled a inch wide hole thru my stand and my bio bubble stand, I used sticky u glue all around a soft Tupperware funnel put it through the hole added tubbing and a bucket from home depo DIY!
image.jpeg

I have no idea how so many people are that creative. It took me two hours to put together a reptibreeze cage! I hate all you people. I don't understand that kind of talent! Congratulations on the great genetics,patience and listening to Dad,Mom and shop teachers. Unbelievable!

I have no idea how so many people are that creative. It took me two hours to put together a reptibreeze cage! I hate all you people. I don't understand that kind of talent! Congratulations on the great genetics,patience and listening to Dad,Mom and shop teachers. Unbelievable!

To funny Hugh. I'll take a compliment any way I can. Btw, I still have a custom cricket keeper for ya.

I don't even know how this thing works. If you could email me your home address, I can send you a check (with postage).When it clears you can send me the cricket keeper,if you want to do it that way. That way,you can be sure to have the money before you send it, or any other way you want to do it. Thanks! Yoo guys are amazing. Richard Hughes

I don't even know how this thing works. If you could email me your home address, I can send you a check (with postage).When it clears you can send me the cricket keeper,if you want to do it that way. That way,you can be sure to have the money before you send it, or any other way you want to do it. Thanks! Yoo guys are amazing. Richard Hughes
Richard I just sent you another message here on the forums. You can find those messages at the top right hand corner of any page. You will see an envelope w/ a red number by it.

A) Whats the most efficient but still easy solution for draining a 16x16 reptibreeze cage?

B) i have a mist king coming will this soak the outside of my cage as well?

I was going to ask how dirty the drainage water is as far as large floating particles?

Reason I ask, is that I have a master plan of using a 5g bucket with a float switch and a pump plumbed to the house drain. When the bucket gets full and trips the float switch it will turn the pump on and automatically empty the bucket.

If there are a lot of large floaters I'm afraid it will foul the impeller of a normal pump and I may have to change gears to using a grinding bilge pump or something.

Back
Top Bottom