Dizzy, my new Veiled Chameleon

K. Host

I just got my first baby veiled yesterday. She is doing great. I did have a couple questions though. What is the healthiest type of food to give her that will help her gain a bit of weight? At the moment she is quite skinny. So skinny you can see those ribs. Also, I was wondering, when will she start laying eggs? I don't really plan to breed her, but I want to be prepared for the infertile eggs. And when she does lay her eggs, what is the smallest (but still comfortable) laying box that is cheap and easy to build. I will send some pics if needed. Also, if I send pics, could you guys please help determine her age? She is six inches long from snout to the tip of her tail, if that helps.
Thanks for the support,
Kara

I just got my first baby veiled yesterday. She is doing great. I did have a couple questions though. What is the healthiest type of food to give her that will help her gain a bit of weight? At the moment she is quite skinny. So skinny you can see those ribs. Also, I was wondering, when will she start laying eggs? I don't really plan to breed her, but I want to be prepared for the infertile eggs. And when she does lay her eggs, what is the smallest (but still comfortable) laying box that is cheap and easy to build. I will send some pics if needed. Also, if I send pics, could you guys please help determine her age? She is six inches long from snout to the tip of her tail, if that helps.
Thanks for the support,
Kara

Email me a picture and I will upload it for you- [email protected]

Chameleons are omnivores (mostly insectivore, some will eat leaves and lettuces and vegetables/fruits), but the bulk of their diet should be things like crickets, superworms, roaches, silkworms, hornworms.

You can help regulate the amount of egg laying that happens, by keeping her a little cooler and not feeding as much, and this will slow her metabolism to hopefully eliminate infertile clutches from forming.

Laying bins are cheap to make, get s cheap bathroom trash can (they're usually not more than a foot or so tall), and some play sand. The youngest I've personally seen an infertile clutch being laid was at 6-7 months, but maybe someone will chime in that has a different experience.

Chase

Back
Top Bottom