digging

johnandlyn

hi my female yemen has finally starting to dig i just hope she lays her eggs ok one quick question tho how do the eggs come out through the front or back? thanks john

Attachments

• pics 008.jpg
    pics 008.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 147
She will dig the hole deep enough and to her satisfaction, then she will turn around and back into the hole bum down. The whole process from the start of digging through laying, and covering up again can take all day. When Lily laid her first clutch she started digging at lights on and finally finished after 10pm that evening.The eggs will leave her body from her vent, as Bradley said, the same place that poop and urates are expelled from.

Make sure that she doesn't see you looking! If she does, she might abandon the nest site and start over again. If this happens too often she will be unable to lay them and become eggbound. I would cover her cage and leave her to it. When she has finished covering the nest site and returned to the branches you can then remove the container. She will also need a goos misting and some food too. Hope all goes well for you.

John, I would leave her alone and give her complete privacy.
Don't even bother doing anything to the cage for now while she is in the middle of digging.
Just make sure no one goes near her cage.
no disturbance period.

Ok thanks everyone ill let you all know how she gets on i hope she lays them ok when would you mist her and feed her after shes layed and sitting on the branch?what do i do with the eggs they are not fertile so no babys :-( thanks for your help again you are top people :) john

You can mist her and feed her once she's gone back up to her branches, unless of course it's at night. I made the mistake of offering Lily a waxworm after she laid then turned her lights off after half an hour (she finished about 10.30pm). The waxworm got pooped out as it went in, as she had no heat overnight to digest it! With regard to the eggs, I removed them and counted them then just binned them.

hi everyone good news beu has layed her clutch of eggs(see pics) she had 30 in total.im really happy that shes had them ok :)thanks for all your help john

Attachments

• chameleon 003.jpg
    chameleon 003.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 140
  • chameleon 001.jpg
    chameleon 001.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 152
Well done Beu! It's always such a relief when they've finished! Now you'll know the signs if she cycles another clutch.

hi everyone good news beu has layed her clutch of eggs(see pics) she had 30 in total.im really happy that shes had them ok :)thanks for all your help john

Time to spoil her now. Give her lots of water and food to replenish her energy.
Good job!

Back
Top Bottom