Cyrus update

lele

Avid Member
According to the vet it was a rectal prolapse :-/ He reinserted and placed 2 sutures which will come out next week. (he was able to just use a local and not have to put him under for procedure).

I am worried about infection setting in internally, but he is on Baytril now. He looks awful but ate a couple small silkies and got some sun after we got home. We are not out of the woods so send good thoughts :)

I did a search and found this thread https://www.chameleonforums.com/prolapsed-rectum-1123/. I am a little confused, though. Eric (does he still post here??) mentions too many soft bodied insects beign a problem. Cy had this problem (though I thought it was hemipene) off and on beginning months ago but it always retracted on its own. He has always gotten a mix of feeders but more silkies and hornworms for moisture. Believe it or not he is not terribly keen on crickets but likes superworms and mealworm beetles so I always watched the chitin. When this problem began I increased the siklie and hornworm. So why would soft bodied insects cause straining??

thanks
lele

I don't know about the soft bodied insects but I just wanted to wish Cryrus well and that he feels better soon :)

I remeber in another thred you posted about how cyrus sleeps on his back and you said to search it to some one, or something like that.
So I decided to search it cuz I was interested in why he does that.
So, Ive seen that hes been thru alot and he really old,
and I wanna wish you the best of luck.
He'll pull thew this Im sure, hes a trooper :)

Glad that Cyrus made it through the process! Hope he will be okay.

Eric just recently started posting on here again, BTW.

Since fiber is supposed to help in preventing constipation and might then play a part in prolapse...here's an article that might be of interest to you, lele...
"Using the stem lettuce leaves to raise silkworm, the coarse fiber content of silkworm excrements reached about 33%."...
http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...0&md5=1494b1bd2dddea6bc368b37dc35b0d59#secx14

One more thing...mulberry leaves have a fiber content of 13.85%...so since silkworms eat only mulberry leaves (or the chow) wouldn't they be high in fiber and thus not cause constipation or contribute to prolapse?

Last edited:
I hope he's feeling better soon! Sounds like he's had a rough time.

I thought silkworms would be good for preventing constipation since they have a lot of fluid in them. :confused:

That's what I would think too.

Mulberry leaves are used for constipation...so wouldn't a silkworm that is full of mulberry leaves be good for constipation??
"It can help treat chronic diseases of the digestive tract, improve digestion, stimulate the appetite, promote gastric juice secretion and eliminate constipation"...
http://www.iloveindia.com/indian-herbs/mullberry.html

Last edited:
Thanks all for your replies. He is doing better and most of his bloodwork is OK except for blood glucose so I am going to post a new thread about that.

My silkies are on chow so any fiber is certainly milled down finely but as was pointed out (and what is my thinking) is that soft bodied insects contain enough moisture that they would be easier to pass.

I don't know why he prolapsed, that is still a mystery. his back legs seem to have lost some muscle tone (age?) and maybe general muscle tone in that area is a problem? Pure speculation on my part.

now edema is setting in...

in a nutshell here is what has been going on...
vet wanted to do an enema, I did not since he simply had not eaten enough.
As time went on, he ate a bit more and TOO much time went by w/o poop so I did bring him in and just having the vet poke around with his scope was enough get CY going!! lol! :eek:

He has been eating and moving things thru since then. However he is developing some neck edema which has me a bit concerned. I'd have thought maybe uric acid build up but not sure if that makes sense now. Vit A, water retention, hmmm, not really. As for renal failure, his bloodwrok was fine a few weeks ago. The edema was just beginning (very slight) the day I had him at the vet and I pointed it out but he sort of dismissed it at the time :rolleyes:

If anyone has thoughts on the edema I'd appreciate it. He will be going in for the glucose retest next week so we'll see if he does the full panel again or not. I called about the edema so he knows and said we'll see when he comes in for the BW.

thanks,
lele

It sounds like Cyrus is doing so much better. I also think that you are a really super parent by taking such good care of Cyrus, taking him to the vet and following up. I'm very impressed...Cyrus is a lucky cham!!! :)

Cyrus is definitely one in a million! I can't believe how he just keeps on surviving everything that happens to him! Its lucky he has such a great care-giver!

Cyrus is such a fighter. I hope his blood work comes back normal. How is the edema? Is it staying the same or getting worst?

Back
Top Bottom