Chameleon Died?

So basically my veiled chameleon has been acting pretty normal. (Appetite, Behavior, etc.) I always keep my eye out of diseases and their symptoms but he displayed none. Today I went to go feed him but he didn’t care for the bugs too much. This was normal for him since he was a baby (he’s 3 now). Typically I would leave him alone and go back after a few hours and feed him, and he would accept. 1-2 hours pass and I see him lifelessly laying on a pot/branch. He is not his normal color (same coloration just much less vibrant and more pale). He is very obviously dead/ dying or something along the lines so I poke him no response, and then pick him up and he will not move and I saw no breathing or anything. Not moving his eyes, just a lifeless chameleon with absolutely no signs of life. I was in extreme shock considering he was only 3 and I’ve read they live upwards of 5 years. He has the correct lighting, supplementation and enclosure. He had a T5 UV, Heat bulb with a perfect temp basking branch, daily misting, daily calcium no D3 and a monthly vitamin. He had a variety or insects from crickets, Dubias, Hornworms, Silkworms, and Superworms (Crickets Dubias and Silkies as staples) He has a 2x2x4 ZenHabitats Enclosure full or live plants and everything. What did I do wrong🥲? Anyways, I was in complete shock and mourning that that I went ahead and prepared his grave in my blueberry patch (his very favorite food and the only non insect thing he would eat that he would get occasionally and go crazy for). Placed him in the grave, said my goodbyes, gave him some flowers, and buried him. Then for the remainder of the day obviously all I could think of was him. I read some forums and saw images of chameleons who died and people said they turn blackish color but mine still had color (maybe he was freshly dead). Also people said sometimes stressed chameleons play dead? Or maybe he was extremely sick and lethargic but not dead?? Anyways I am now extremely worried and freaking out over the fact that it’s possible I buried my baby alive😭. I now feel a lot of guilt because maybe I didn’t check his body out enough. I could have heated him up or observed him longer. Basically I’m asking anyone with experience to take a look at these pictures and tell me if he looked dead or not. I know it’s far to late because on top of his potential live weakness I buried him and ensured his death😓😓. I didn’t even know he was sick I would have taken him to the vet. It was so sudden and out of no where which Is why I’m freaking out thinking he was faking it or not yet fully gone.

Attachments

• IMG_0415.jpeg
    IMG_0415.jpeg
    212.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0416.jpeg
    IMG_0416.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 95
May be dead however normally you’ll see them lose their colors and go black if he wasn’t dead was definitely extremely close to it , also if his body was completely stiff that kinda confirms his death he may not be black or dark colored due to the amount of time that passed after he may have been dead. Very sorry for your loss 🙏

Back
Top Bottom