Confusing Pygmy!

Tazjunky

Right so, the story so far!

I thought I had solved the mystery of the sexes of my pygmy and determined I had a 2:3 group!
Both my boys like to try to woo 2 of the ladies! the other "lady" always keeps her distance from the rest of the group and the 2 guys and stays on one side of the tank in a particular plant.

but, she has started to come out of the bush she sits in, starts displaying patterns and stretches herself out to look like my males! the funny thing is, both my males are terrified of her, so much so that the dominant male puffs himself up flat like a leaf! he nearly fell off a branch before.

iv put pics below and hopefully the video link should work so you can see the dominant male all puffed up as she stands on him.

what does everyone think? is it possible she is really a he?
IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

This is the picture of her standing on the dominant male, although all you can see is a stripey pattern as he is puffed up that much and near falling from the branch
IMG_0200.jpg

this is a photo from when we first got her....
SAM_0225.jpg

and here is the video clip

but so big on their personalities! especially this one in question, hope she is still a she, cant be doing with having another suprise male like last time.:D

Yep-confusing bunch there-that one pic looks female-but the video looks like 3 males and 1 female. Are you sure it's the same cham? :)

sure am! im moving her to a different take with the smaller of the males to see how they get on as she seperates herself from the rest of the group anyway. just setting the new tank up now as i type!

haha!

i'll say one thing Gary, they keep you guessing! especially after having the little one turn out to be Karl! wont be impressed if Veronica is actually vernon! just finishing off the new tank for veronica and Karl so will see if she still displays the strange behaviour with just him. :)

So iv now seperated Veronica from the main tank to see if she stops looking like a boy. I have taken some pics below. So what do we think, is veronica a female or do I need to change her name to Vernon? lol

I had to adjust the contrast on this to make it better.
SAM_0396_2.jpg

SAM_0383.jpg

SAM_0399.jpg

SAM_0401.jpg

I have also placed my other male Karl in there too as he was always a dark green, almost black colour due to the other dominant male.
SAM_0393.jpg

SAM_0382.jpg

A marked improvement on Karls part I think - his colours came out straight away in the new environment.

And here is a pic of them both and the new set up.
SAM_0378.jpg

SAM_0389.jpg

SAM_0404.jpg

Karl really does look much happier already!!! :D

That tank is great! Good buy with your birthday money ;) Could do with a few more branches/twigs/cover

Veronica/Vernon... hmm, I would say boy, only because i have never seen Mini display like that at all.

its so confusing, because she has looked like the other females right up until last week i think it was, then pulled herself all slim and looked like a bloke.

have to admit tho that iv seen Monica displaying subtle patterns like Veronica is now.. The guys tend to be really vibrant and strong patterns which veronica isnt really doing!

this was monica when we got her
SAM_0226.jpg

SAM_0216.jpg

SAM_0217.jpg

and this is veronica when we first got her
SAM_0213.jpg

SAM_0212.jpg

She's a girl. Note how the males have more pronounced ridges on their backs, but the female's back is more smooth. :)

Thanks ChamLady! I thought she was a female and noticed that both my other guys have pointy ridges but the reassurance is welcomed! ;)

caught her looking all lady like this morning walking over the bottom of the enclosure and the male was loving it! he was trying to stalk her I think to have some cham fun!

Back
Top Bottom