Carpet chameleon loss.

MikeyBen

Established Member
I'm saddened to post this but Saturday night I went check on my Lateralis enclosures to monitor the fogging, clean up crew. I was shocked to find my male laying on the floor passed away as the isopods were consuming him. I'm trying to wrap my head around his passing as his behavior seemed normal during the day. He ate, basked in the morning and chilled in his favorite spot on the Ficus benjaminin plant during the day.
I have my focus on my female and her and her enclosure to see if I'm missing something.
Both are wild caught imports and I understood the challenges that would be. Their fecal and visual assessment with the vets looked good. It's a mystery and I apologize for the image below.
20231216_234535.jpg

Thank you. He was approximately 6 to 8 months old when I got him in August so I was to some time with him. One thing I'm looking into is to see if the isopods had any effect. It's a bioactive enclosure and there's quite a bit of dairy cow isopods in it. The isopods would climb the branches at night. I do place food for the isopods at the bottom though.

So sorry for your loss. They don’t live long for sure.
Thank you. He was approximately 6 to 8 months old when I got him in August so I was to some time with him. One thing I'm looking into is to see if the isopods had any effect. It's a bioactive enclosure and there's quite a bit of dairy cow isopods in it. The isopods would climb the branches at night. I do place food for the isopods at the bottom though.

I’m sorry for your loss. Is age accurate? Or just assumption?

With turtles out in the pet trade with being wild caught, it hard to guess their age.

I’m sorry for your loss. Is age accurate? Or just assumption?

With turtles out in the pet trade with being wild caught, it hard to guess their age.
The importer was told that was the approximate age. The weight at the vet was 10 grams when I got him and we agreed he was less than a year old.

I would put isopod attack low on the suspected list of causes of death, especially if you have ample food for them. But as soon as protein falls to the ground they are quick to take advantage of it. So it is no surprise to find the isopods making short work of a dead body.

I’m really sorry for your sudden lost 😔😥

I don’t believe the isopods got their part in it, as I think they don’t eat anything that’s alive (don’t know for sure) and I‘ve spotted them any higher then a few inches from the bottom. I’m always providing them food, veggies, fruits and leaf litter. I’ve always wondered if they would do this, did you eventually took him out of the enclosure?

I’m really sorry for your sudden lost 😔😥

I don’t believe the isopods got their part in it, as I think they don’t eat anything that’s alive (don’t know for sure) and I‘ve spotted them any higher then a few inches from the bottom. I’m always providing them food, veggies, fruits and leaf litter. I’ve always wondered if they would do this, did you eventually took him out of the enclosure?
Thanks for your response. I have seen the isopods as high as 18inches on the branches. Seems the like ficus benjaminin leaves. Although with food on the ground, I don't believe the isopods would bother the cham. I haven't removed him as the cleanup crew is doing their thing. I will be doing a cage make over during the holidays.

Thanks for your response. I have seen the isopods as high as 18inches on the branches. Seems the like ficus benjaminin leaves. Although with food on the ground, I don't believe the isopods would bother the cham. I haven't removed him as the cleanup crew is doing their thing. I will be doing a cage make over during the holidays.
Never spotted them that high. That’s probably a massacre and they’ll leave a bare karkas. Never heard of it so far, I’m assuming appr. 48h to finish their job.

Back
Top Bottom