Concerned About Persistent Eye Problem

werecat

Established Member
We have been trying to get to the bottom of Egon's eye problem since August and have had little improvement. The vet is beginning to think this is just something he will have to live with, but I just wanted to post and see if anyone has any ideas or experience with an eye problem that just won't go away. Below is my husbandry and details of the treatment.

Chameleon Info:
•Your Chameleon
– Nosy Be panther, male, 2 years old; In our care for about 7 months.
•Handling – Normally little handling unless taking him out for cage cleaning or for sun. However, during treatment for the eye problem he is handled 3 times a day.
•Feeding – Crickets as staple; superworms; silkworms; occasional stick bugs, BB flies, phoenix worms/files, and hormworms. (3-4 feeders every 2-3 days – 12 items per week on avg)
Gutload with cricket crack (and super chow for supers) supplemented with various fresh foods including: arugula, carrot, romaine, apple, mango, basil, etc.
•Supplements – Repashy Calcium Plus 1x per week. Zoomed ReptiCalcium (no D3) every feeding except Repashy day.
•Watering – Raindome, which goes for 1min 30 sec – 1min 45 sec every two – three hours (5 times/day). I see him drink almost every morning after the first rain. He’s a good drinker and not shy about it at all.
•Fecal Description – Brown poop with white urates. Poops every 1-2 weeks since winter began. He used to poop with more frequency in the summer. Was tested in August for parasites and is clean.
•History – He was well cared for by his previous owner and very healthy. He has been healthy and active in our care except for the eye issue which has been an on and off problem since August. He last weighed in at 143 grams in early December.
Cage Info:
•Cage Type
– Screen, 24”x16”x30” (KK Forever Cage)
•Lighting - 1 18" Zoomed Reptisun 5.0 (Replaced November 2013); 1 100W reptile basking bulb on a dimmer which is dimmed to maintain basking area at about 85-95 degrees F. Lights are 12 hours on/12 off.
•Temperature – Basking spot hovers around 89 F and gets up to 95 F sometimes. Rest of cage has a gradient ranging from about 72-80 F. Measure ambient temp with digital room thermometer and basking spot with digital probe thermometer. Also use a temp gun. Lowest temp at night is probably 65-70 in summer and has been 60-65 in winter.
•Humidity – Between 55-80% created/maintained by regular raindome mistings and live plants. Use a digital room hygrometer for ambient humidity and an in cage analogue hygrometer.
•Plants – Live plant is one large, full Schefflera which takes up most of the cage space. There is little room for any other plants.
•Placement – Located in the lowest traffic room (art room) and is near the window but does not receive direct sunlight. Top of cage and highest branches are above our heads (over 5 feet)
•Location – We are in Los Angeles.

Current Problem

In mid August my husband and I noticed Egon keeping his left eye closed and the turret pulled in slightly. We did not see any discharge and the only other "symptom" is that the left eye looks different from the right eye. The left eye pupil is more constricted and the iris is darker than the right eye. After consulting with some forum members we tried flushing the eye with saline solution once a day for a week. When there was no change we took him to the vet who prescribed Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Dexamethasone Ointment. Per the vet we applied this 2-3 times per day for 13 days (6 days longer than the vet had initially recommended). There did not seem to be much improvement and the treatments really stressed Egon so the vet said we could try stopping. Within a week Egon was opening the eye more and eventually kept it open most of the time. The times I would see him close it were when he was basking or subjected to bright light (like the flash of my camera). This led me to believe the eye is light-sensitive, but that's just a hunch. This became his "normal" and it was maintained for about a month and a half, but in mid-October he began keeping the eye shut all of the time. Per the vet we treated once again with the Neo-Poly-Dex ointment 3 times a day for almost 3 weeks. There was no improvement so we took him to the vet again. The vet prescribed Gentamicin Sulfate drops which we administered 2-3 times a day for 16 days. Still no improvement and it seemed Egon's eye actually was more irritated since he was frequently blinking and doing the googly eye roll thing. Took him to the vet once more and they vet checked his eye and flushed it. He said there was a little mucus but not much. He said that on rare occasions some chameleons with eye problems just don't respond to meds very well. He thinks that it might be best to just leave Egon alone with no treatment for awhile to see how he responds. When I asked if he thought it could be a deeper underlying health problem or a vitamin A deficiency he said he does not since such problems would normally affect both eyes. Egon has been off treatment for 3 weeks now and he does keep his eye open more, but still closes it for about 1/3 - 1/2 of the day. Also, I believe this problem does affect his aim. *When shooting, his accuracy diminishes significantly for anything more distant than 6 inches.

My question is, has anyone ever experienced something like this? Is this really something my little guy has to live with? I do feel that my poor little guy has been through a lot! The treatments and handling are very stressful for him. I hesitate to keep trying things if they are just a shot in the dark, but obviously if I could help him get better, I'd like to.

My recent male melleri had a URI, and kept his eye shut for awhile because of it. He's since been treated with an antibiotic, and been dewormed, but he will still occasionally keep his eye shut some days. I think it takes a long time to heal, and I really think some unfiltered sunlight outside would be great for him, but its still much too cold here for that. Some have identified vitamin A deficiencies linked to eye problems, and have corrected it with a drop of fish oil on a feeder, or some vitamin A instead. Search vitamin A deficiency, I'm sure you'll find quite a few threads about it.

Leland

Yes, I asked the vet about vitamin A deficiency but he said that it normally presents in both eyes. He did give Egon 2 vitamin A shots (one at each of the last visits) but told me it was more to put me at ease than as a treatment he felt was necessary.

I do have a male NosyBe, and he has an eye issue also been going on a while , hes a year+, it happend when I gave him a big horn worm, I thought it bit his eye, it healed but still keeps it closed most of the time except when he need to use it ,and I just seen today that it is a little cloudy spot, and I have to get him in to find what that is now , but he does eat very well and is doing good , have to get pics though,so as long as it is eating and drinking ,just keep on keeping on,

eye problem

Hi there,

I have a veiled juvenile and has the same eye half closing-problem for a week now. I checked the symptoms of URI and I am 99% sure,she has that.... So I think in mine case that is the reason. (I hope,'cause it is not so difficult to fix, I've been told.)
MSAquatics- how long did your cham get the antibiotics for? How long does it take to be normal again? And do you know what kind of antibio. did he get and how much of a dose?
Werecat- isn't is possible that your panther has URI?

I hope your veiled gets better soon!

I'm pretty certain that my panther does not have a URI (although I know eye problems can often be an indicator of such underlying illnesses). He has not exhibited any of the symptoms of a URI and besides closing the one eye he acts normal/healthy. He has also seen the vet three times and the vet has not found anything that would point to URI. It is possible that there is an underlying issue but the vet feels that if this were the case the other eye would have been affected by now as well.

My Cham was on Baytril for 10 days. If you think your Cham has a URI, take it to a vet immeadiatly.

Leland

We have been trying to get to the bottom of Egon's eye problem since August and have had little improvement. The vet is beginning to think this is just something he will have to live with, but I just wanted to post and see if anyone has any ideas or experience with an eye problem that just won't go away. Below is my husbandry and details of the treatment.

Chameleon Info:
•Your Chameleon
– Nosy Be panther, male, 2 years old; In our care for about 7 months.
•Handling – Normally little handling unless taking him out for cage cleaning or for sun. However, during treatment for the eye problem he is handled 3 times a day.
•Feeding – Crickets as staple; superworms; silkworms; occasional stick bugs, BB flies, phoenix worms/files, and hormworms. (3-4 feeders every 2-3 days – 12 items per week on avg)
Gutload with cricket crack (and super chow for supers) supplemented with various fresh foods including: arugula, carrot, romaine, apple, mango, basil, etc.
•Supplements – Repashy Calcium Plus 1x per week. Zoomed ReptiCalcium (no D3) every feeding except Repashy day.
•Watering – Raindome, which goes for 1min 30 sec – 1min 45 sec every two – three hours (5 times/day). I see him drink almost every morning after the first rain. He’s a good drinker and not shy about it at all.
•Fecal Description – Brown poop with white urates. Poops every 1-2 weeks since winter began. He used to poop with more frequency in the summer. Was tested in August for parasites and is clean.
•History – He was well cared for by his previous owner and very healthy. He has been healthy and active in our care except for the eye issue which has been an on and off problem since August. He last weighed in at 143 grams in early December.
Cage Info:
•Cage Type
– Screen, 24”x16”x30” (KK Forever Cage)
•Lighting - 1 18" Zoomed Reptisun 5.0 (Replaced November 2013); 1 100W reptile basking bulb on a dimmer which is dimmed to maintain basking area at about 85-95 degrees F. Lights are 12 hours on/12 off.
•Temperature – Basking spot hovers around 89 F and gets up to 95 F sometimes. Rest of cage has a gradient ranging from about 72-80 F. Measure ambient temp with digital room thermometer and basking spot with digital probe thermometer. Also use a temp gun. Lowest temp at night is probably 65-70 in summer and has been 60-65 in winter.
•Humidity – Between 55-80% created/maintained by regular raindome mistings and live plants. Use a digital room hygrometer for ambient humidity and an in cage analogue hygrometer.
•Plants – Live plant is one large, full Schefflera which takes up most of the cage space. There is little room for any other plants.
•Placement – Located in the lowest traffic room (art room) and is near the window but does not receive direct sunlight. Top of cage and highest branches are above our heads (over 5 feet)
•Location – We are in Los Angeles.

Current Problem

In mid August my husband and I noticed Egon keeping his left eye closed and the turret pulled in slightly. We did not see any discharge and the only other "symptom" is that the left eye looks different from the right eye. The left eye pupil is more constricted and the iris is darker than the right eye. After consulting with some forum members we tried flushing the eye with saline solution once a day for a week. When there was no change we took him to the vet who prescribed Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Dexamethasone Ointment. Per the vet we applied this 2-3 times per day for 13 days (6 days longer than the vet had initially recommended). There did not seem to be much improvement and the treatments really stressed Egon so the vet said we could try stopping. Within a week Egon was opening the eye more and eventually kept it open most of the time. The times I would see him close it were when he was basking or subjected to bright light (like the flash of my camera). This led me to believe the eye is light-sensitive, but that's just a hunch. This became his "normal" and it was maintained for about a month and a half, but in mid-October he began keeping the eye shut all of the time. Per the vet we treated once again with the Neo-Poly-Dex ointment 3 times a day for almost 3 weeks. There was no improvement so we took him to the vet again. The vet prescribed Gentamicin Sulfate drops which we administered 2-3 times a day for 16 days. Still no improvement and it seemed Egon's eye actually was more irritated since he was frequently blinking and doing the googly eye roll thing. Took him to the vet once more and they vet checked his eye and flushed it. He said there was a little mucus but not much. He said that on rare occasions some chameleons with eye problems just don't respond to meds very well. He thinks that it might be best to just leave Egon alone with no treatment for awhile to see how he responds. When I asked if he thought it could be a deeper underlying health problem or a vitamin A deficiency he said he does not since such problems would normally affect both eyes. Egon has been off treatment for 3 weeks now and he does keep his eye open more, but still closes it for about 1/3 - 1/2 of the day. Also, I believe this problem does affect his aim. *When shooting, his accuracy diminishes significantly for anything more distant than 6 inches.

My question is, has anyone ever experienced something like this? Is this really something my little guy has to live with? I do feel that my poor little guy has been through a lot! The treatments and handling are very stressful for him. I hesitate to keep trying things if they are just a shot in the dark, but obviously if I could help him get better, I'd like to.

I think we forget that sometimes chams do end up with minor eye injuries regardless of our care. Doesn't sound like an active infection as it would most likely have spread over that amount of time. If there was a small injury in the past he may have some scarring that affected the surface of the eye and making it more prone to irritation. One herp vet told me that one sign of a healed injury shows with increased vascularization of the eye itself. I had an older wc verrucosus with a sort of on-again-off-again eye issue we never did pin down. If it seemed to bother him more some days (often when the house was drier) I'd give him a gentle flush with sterile contact lens saline to help him clean it, put in a lubricating eye drop, and raise his cage humidity.

Back
Top Bottom