Clearing Eye?

bigwigwabbit

Avid Member
Hello,
My chameleon keeps clearing his eye as if theres somthing in it. @ first I thought it was cause i had misted his cage and thought maybe he had just got some water in it. But then I saw him do it again later... Is this normal?
Thanx in advanced :D

What is your humidity like? Fill out the help form or copy and paste it if you have done so in a previous post.

• Your Chameleon – Nosy Faly/Ambanja male 4 months, 1 month in my care
• Handling – 3 times a week maybe to go outside
• Feeding – crickets, mill worms, wax worms 8-12 a day gut load w/carrots fruits flukers hi calcium cricket diet
• Supplements – repti calcium w/out d3 every day, repti calcium w/d3 once a month.
• Watering – Dripper and mister every 3hrs for 30 sec and bye hand when I can
• Fecal Description – brown white and I wanna say some yellow as well, no.
• History – bought him from the Chameleon Co.

Cage Info:
• Cage Type – screen lwh 36”X32”X14”
• Lighting – reptisun 5.0 linear & 75 watt uva zilla day light blue about 6” above cage creating 85-90 basking spot 12/12
• Temperature – 73- 90
• Humidity – nothing yet getting hygrometer this weekend. I got 2 plants a dripper and a habamist which comes on every 3hrs for 30 sec as recommended here http://www.screameleons.com/setup_kit_video.htm plan on upgrading later.
• Plants – yes, pothos, schefflera
• Placement – In my bedroom on top of dresser by window about 6½’ to top of cage fan and ac vent near in room
• Location – South Texas area about 100 yards from the bay

heres a vid of him eating :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL3ad8RKz4Y

Anybody??? :confused:
I also noticed him gnawing at the roots of the pothos, and some dirt the other day I just read that this might be there attempt to compensate for something else??? What else??? :confused:

Without knowing your humidity that could very well be the problem... this is why you need to be fully prepared.

im thinking the humidity might be too high do to the rains we've been having here the past couple of days outsides been 80-100%. That and I gota rain leak in my room where he is just noticed that bout 2 days ago :confused:

As long as you are not keeping his cage drenched I dont think that extra humidity is causing him to clear out his eye. Does he scratch it on branches as well? Do you see him drink often and does he have orange urate?
Nice looking cham by the way.

Assumptions won't get you anywhere, unfortunately. Temperature is a little high, could be dry at the top of the cage where he is basking...

You feel meal worms? Wax worms?

" Feeding – crickets, mill worms, wax worms 8-12 a day gut load w/carrots fruits flukers hi calcium cricket diet"

That that's a lot of food.

No, I havnt really seen him scratch it on limbs, he just takes his eye lid and runs it across his eye several times then he'll stop. Thats why I was thinking @ first it might be some mist that got in his eye... Yeah, I see him drink off the leaves often. Orange urate is that whats in his poop? Im not sure but I will keep an eye out for it, if it is orange what dose that mean?
Thanx I think he's pretty awesome 2! :D

As long as you are not keeping his cage drenched I dont think that extra humidity is causing him to clear out his eye. Does he scratch it on branches as well? Do you see him drink often and does he have orange urate?
Nice looking cham by the way.

Yes, I feed 8-12 insects a day usually mixed 2 day he ate about (7) 1/2"-2/3" crickets & 3 meal worms... I also give him wax worms as well just not today...

Assumptions won't get you anywhere, unfortunately. Temperature is a little high, could be dry at the top of the cage where he is basking...

You feel meal worms? Wax worms?

" Feeding – crickets, mill worms, wax worms 8-12 a day gut load w/carrots fruits flukers hi calcium cricket diet"

That that's a lot of food.

Ok, I'm guna go look @ some poop now... Lmao :D
I will also put my heat lamp on the side of my mister and that should help
keep that basking spot cooler & less dry, & the dripper on the side with the UVB how I had it originally.
Thanx repto man & syn!
Orange urate is a sign that he is dehydrated. It should be white. Here is a good thread if you want to see good and bad poop.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/normal-poop-43052/

He left me a present :eek:
lol
looks good dont it!?

Attachments

• poop!.jpg
    poop!.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 171
Its not the worst I have seen but he could use a little more hydration. You should get him some silks or hornworms to help get him more fluids. Its good to keep those as part of his diet occasionally. The clearing of the eye is how it starts but if he gets any more dehydrated you will probably see him start to scratch on branches. First one eye, then the other. Hydration is the key to keeping that from happening. I tell you this from experience with my male panther.
I have been putting my chams in the small tree in the front yard in the mornings and giving them a shower with my pump sprayer to stimulate drinking. Its a lot easier to get them to drink a lot that way and they also get some sun. Plus i dont flood his cage too quickly. I'm sure he will do fine, just keep an eye on the eye!

THANKS!
Yeah, I noticed his urate had a hint of yellow to it, but overall looked good. I'll keep an eye :eek: on him :D lol & ill try a couple different hydration techniques. It'd be nice if I could get em' to drink out of an eye dropper...

Its not the worst I have seen but he could use a little more hydration. You should get him some silks or hornworms to help get him more fluids. Its good to keep those as part of his diet occasionally. The clearing of the eye is how it starts but if he gets any more dehydrated you will probably see him start to scratch on branches. First one eye, then the other. Hydration is the key to keeping that from happening. I tell you this from experience with my male panther.
I have been putting my chams in the small tree in the front yard in the mornings and giving them a shower with my pump sprayer to stimulate drinking. Its a lot easier to get them to drink a lot that way and they also get some sun. Plus i dont flood his cage too quickly. I'm sure he will do fine, just keep an eye on the eye!

Back
Top Bottom