Chameleon Stress

I had my 1st chameleon in glass and he died because they do not live in glass they should live in a screen cage with real plants i cannot beleave no one has never told you this.You really need to look into this before you lose him. He cannot get no fresh air or anything.

I had my 1st chameleon in glass and he died because they do not live in glass they should live in a screen cage with real plants i cannot beleave no one has never told you this.You really need to look into this before you lose him. He cannot get no fresh air or anything.

That's not true.... @DeremensisBlue would have some rather choice words for dismissing glass cages outright, without knowing the ops situation.

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/po...n-in-glass-terrariums-with-dr-chris-anderson/

A chameleon won't die in a glass cage if it's set up properly @rkudulis1957
I've kept chameleons for over 30 years and back when I started all we could get was aquariums...and they did fine in there as long as the lights, etc were set up properly.

I beleave you should let them live the way they live in the jungles close to the way they are suppose to live. There is so much more of the feel of plants and air and so much more . I am not going to go in to detail but you can not tell me living in a closed in area is better than open,i have a2yr. old and just got my second one today and they have pretty homes of there on to live in and it is not an aquarium with glass that is for fish.Thank you so much.

Saying you have had ONE cham and just got another, then claiming you know more about proper care than those with decades of experience doesn't lend credibility to what you say, I am sorry to tell you.

Not being rude, but please realize that as far as knowledge and experience, it's impossible to add to your cup when it's already full. Take the emotion out of it, and take what is being offered as the gift it is.

I beleave you should let them live the way they live in the jungles close to the way they are suppose to live. There is so much more of the feel of plants and air and so much more . I am not going to go in to detail but you can not tell me living in a closed in area is better than open,i have a2yr. old and just got my second one today and they have pretty homes of there on to live in and it is not an aquarium with glass that is for fish.Thank you so much.
Did you read w
Did you read what I said? I said it was well ventilated he's doing fine right now. I've seen many keepers keep theirs in glass and the chameleons live very long and are very healthy. It's more of the care takers job than the cages job.

Saying you have had ONE cham and just got another, then claiming you know more about proper care than those with decades of experience doesn't lend credibility to what you say, I am sorry to tell you.

Not being rude, but please realize that as far as knowledge and experience, it's impossible to add to your cup when it's already full. Take the emotion out of it, and take what is being offered as the gift it is.
Thank you!!! That's what I was thinking!

For about 30 years I kept them in glass cages and for one example...my veiled females live to be 7+ years and the males even longer.

Closed in is better when you live in a cold dry climate where your chameleon ends up sitting under the basking light most of the day because the rest of theIr big screen cage is so cold they don't want to sit anywhere else. None of this is being rude...just explaining. I don'r think they really have a concept of glass being a barrier anyway...after all they can see through it.

This guy explains it well...

Another one we all know...
https://chameleonacademy.com/glass-chameleon-cages/

Last edited:
@rkudulis1957 are you asking me about the glass cages? If you are...
I switched back to (custom made) glass cages years ago...then the exoterras when they came in...and I got some of them to.

what do you have your chameleon in now glass or screen?

I also keep in Glass (well Enclosed) to add to the Links Parade.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/for-everyone-who-knows-you-cant-keep-chams-in-glass.31937/

That is Chris Andersons OG article on it, from 2009.

Glass Vivariums have much more Airflow than you seem to think, and Furthermore, you say we should match the jungle match their nature. Your house is 20-30% humidity tops? If you dont have Forced Air Heating/Cooling, then the air is stagnant, and that includes in the cage, even if you do, its stagnant when not running.

The Jungle is not 20-30% humidity, and in open space there is always movement outside. Glass cages done right, have a chimney effect which provides constant air movement/exchange, want more you can even add a fan. Know what else they do? Hold in Temps and Humidity. Unless your living room is a rain forest, or kept that way, then Glass is easier to setup the required micro climate in.

I would personally recommend anyone indoors without Custom Made Reptile rooms that have High Humidity and Jungle like atmospheres use Glass (Enclosed), just like that video said pretty much. Your trying to recreate a Rainforest, in a Home, in a screen cage, that is literally fighting you every step of the way. Its an Oxy Moron, 100%, your fighting to create conditions that are not conducive to the rest of the room, doing so in a screen cage will never work. Thats why you see constant Posts on here. "How to block off 3 sides of the cage" or "How to increase Screen Humidity", thats because a Screen Cage was NEVER ever the correct setup IMO. Screen is cheap, that is the only Benefit at all I personally see of Screen, again outside of Custom Built Rooms, and outside enclosures.

Last edited:
If you believe they should live like wild chams do in the wild then why do you own one? Why not let it live in the jungle instead of in a cage?

Some of my females can see their reflection in a glass door I have, I have seen them try to get a response from what they think is another cham, pretty funny, but they are pretty calm, I can see rkudulus POV and understand his or her point...I keep mine in screen cages with real plants as well... although other experienced members keep their chams in glass cages which works for their environment they live, if set up right works perfectly fine... a proper chameleons set up all depends on where it is kept...

Well i don"t think experience is all ways the best way to go,your chameleon has to live in a glass cage under a light at all times or he will g oto cold,my chameleon lives in my sunroom in a wire cage and can go all over his cage and he lives buy a sunroon window where he can get sun at any time of the day . I put a plant light above him and he loves it and if you open his door he will come out of the cage on his on. I have had 3 panther chameleon for 8 years years so i must be doing something right, thank you Robin

Back
Top Bottom