Reflections

waynederby

I know that Chams dont particularly like to see other chams..... but... what about reflections...
Just seen Yoshi spend about 10 mins look at herself......

p1030766t.jpg

my one chameleon is not bothered by his reflection at all. I showed him himself in the mirror and he did not respond to it too much!

I have 5 chameleons and not one of them gets bothered by a mirror but if you show them to another chameleon they react so I think that they might.

I'd heard people say it is a problem, and it isn't. Bodhi, my male Veiled, was never bothered by his reflection. Until he turned 6 months. And let me tell you.. he couldn't figure out if he was supposed to mate with himself, or kill it. I moved him into his adult screen cage about 2 weeks after. I think it really depends on the Cham. And also sexual maturity. If she doesn't seemed stressed out over it, I wouldn't make a big deal of it. Like the others said, she's probably just exploring. She looks pretty young too, and it doesn't bother younger Chams (in my experience) as much as juvie/adult aged.

Do you think they would know the difference between a reflection and another cham?

Depending on how aggressive an individual cham happens to be, maybe not. My first veiled was very reactive to any sort of reflection, even a distorted one barely distinguishable as a cham (the motion and coloration may have been all that was needed to piss him off). My wc male verrucosus was mildly upset by reflections. My female melleri challenged and displayed to her reflection in a glass stereo cabinet door for years. The others I've had were pretty much unknown because I tried to avoid reflections around their setups.

Back
Top Bottom