Chameleon eye closed!

dudeman728

Hi I am new to the forum and new to chameleons. I just got my chameleon Cooper about a month ago and he is around 1 1/2 a month old. I tried to search for similar problems but others problems didn't seem like they were exactly the same. When I looked at him today, he would blink oddly in his right eye and a pink sac would be formed on the front part (it does not move spots and it is not on his eyeball). He is starting to close his right eye more often now and I am getting kind of scared. I was wondering if this is common or if other people have encountered this. If this was solved before, I am sorry but I did try to use the search engine. Thank you!

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - I have a screen cage, but I don't know the dimensions. If I had to say, it would be 12x12x24. He is very small so the cage is still very big to him.
* Lighting - I use a reptile desert 7% and a normal light for heating. I turn the light on from 9-9.
* Temperature - The temperature during the day is around 90 degrees in the cage and it is 80 degrees during the night
* Humidity - I don't have a humidity measure, but I spray the cage often
* Plants - I use fake plants. Are live plants necessary?
* Placement - It is on top of my cabinet. It is usually around 5 feet off the floor and it is near a door, but not so close to a window. I've had to move his cage a couple of times in the past couple of days because of complications in my house. Could this help contribute to the problem?
* Location - I am located in Riverside, CA

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - I have a male veiled chameleon who is about 1 1/2 months old and I've had him for about a month
* Handling - I am trying to start to hand feed him so almost every time I feed him
* Feeding - I feed my chameleon baby crickets covered in miner-all powder. I gutload the crickets with commercial gutload. I feed him every day.
* Supplements - Miner-all
* Watering - I spray the cage about 3-4 times a day and occasionally use the dripper if I have to
* Fecal Description - He goes about everyday and he has has the white dot on it.
* History - He had a little lint type of thing in this eye before. I took it out
* Current Problem -His eye is closed. I don't really see the pink sac anymore, but it wasn't always completely visible. It was only sometimes. It looks like he is trying to blink, but a bulge comes out and his eye goes in. I can't get a picture until later, but I was just wondering what possible things can come from this. I really would like to prevent going to a vet because I am a student and don't have that kind of money. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

First you have him way to hot. A baby should be 80 basking in the day and a place to cool off in the day of about 75 and at night low 70's.

What kind of UV light do you have? It is long tube one or coil?

oh shoot. everywhere I read said stay around 80-90 so I just took their word for it. Didn't know there was a difference between babies! Thanks for the info. I have a tube not a coil. I looked up reviews for it and people seem to like it. Not sure if I could take their word for it, but was just a background check because this is what the pet store recommended.

sounds to me like some kind of burn, and yeah, it's too hot in there while he's still a baby. it also could be some kind of growth or tumor. hope all is well :) good luck

or maybe from the way the sac goes in and out, maybe some sort of internal parasite? I would take him to the vet ASAP

You also need some plain calcium dust with no d3 and use that just about daily. I'm not sure about the Miner but think that should be used less often.

On the lighting use the UV only. He shouldn't need a basking light till he's older. Where do you live?

From personal experience, I gotta tell you, go to a vet. If there is a foreign body in his eye, either biological or other, it needs to be removed by someone qualified to diagnois and treat him. In the mean time, increase his mistings and times, three to four times a day for 5-10 minutes with treated water, ie: Reptisafe water conditioner. This will give him ample time to drink and attempt to clean his eyes, as well as increase the overall humidity, helping to keep him from getting dehydrated. Best of luck to you both!

some good news is that his eye does look a little better to me. ive been spraying every chance i get. im not sure if the pinkish sac is there anymore (really hope it isnt), but i think (not sure) if he is closing his eye less. hopefully i am just freaking out for no reason, but if he continues to get worse im going to take him to the vet. thanks for the help everyone and will give another update if cooper is back to normal health again!

You should use a Reptisun 5.0

Attachments

• 5560.JPG
    5560.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 95
Back
Top Bottom