Chameleon Came in Today!!!

So I thought I would put an update since it's been a while. Merlin is doing pretty well, he ate his first horn worm today! I'm not sure that he's as fond of them as most chams since he didn't seem terribly interested in the second one in his enclosure, but he tolerates them. He is showing a lot of blue lately (still an Ambilobe haha) and I put up a few pictures. I'm hoping the blues are a transition to the yellow his dad Cowboy had.

Anyway, I've been working on his armoire enclosure a lot lately and it is almost done. I'm going to try to make a how to thread so everyone can avoid the issues I ran into and learned from along the way (check out my album to see where it's at).

Make it a great day everyone,

Attachments

• Basking.JPG
    Basking.JPG
    441.8 KB · Views: 240
  • straight tail.JPG
    straight tail.JPG
    357.1 KB · Views: 218
  • coming down.JPG
    coming down.JPG
    339.1 KB · Views: 199
I get my silkies from rainbowmealworms. Hornworms and Phoenix worms should be looked into too, high in calcium! (y)

Tyzoone, thanks for telling me! I was unaware of that with meal worms. I do plan to buy silkworms and crickets in bulk from the sponsors, this was just to tide him over. Bruce with Chameleon Paradise was extremely helpful with foods/dusting/gut loading info and he said that meal worms should be once a week or less so I thought I would be ok just for this morning.

I went home over lunch and he was basking under his light and looked very comfortable and alert when I got there. I put two pictures of him towards the end of my lunch when he had moved away from the lamps. Again sorry for picture quality, just a phone to use.

Yeah high in phosphorus too! ! They like a crunch though , it's like potato chips, given only as treats. Squish the mouth or head of worm first. Heard supers are known to bite!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-01-28-12-39-32.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-28-12-39-32.png
    259.9 KB · Views: 216
My guy isn't too shy, he doesn't seem to do much fast other than shooting his food. He doesn't run from me, and lets me touch under his chin. I did get him to come onto my hand late yesterday but when I started to slowly move it out of his cage he started reaching for his branches so I let him stay in. I turned on his dripper this morning and did get to see him drinking which was pretty exciting! I'm attaching a few better pictures that I took last night before lights out.
Wow its awesome he's already that tame! I've been working with mine for a month and I can't get my finger under his chin...

My guy isn't too shy, he doesn't seem to do much fast other than shooting his food. He doesn't run from me, and lets me touch under his chin. I did get him to come onto my hand late yesterday but when I started to slowly move it out of his cage he started reaching for his branches so I let him stay in. I turned on his dripper this morning and did get to see him drinking which was pretty exciting! I'm attaching a few better pictures that I took last night before lights out.
Haha lol, I didn't realize this thread was started over half a year ago :p

Yeah high in phosphorus too! ! They like a crunch though , it's like potato chips, given only as treats. Squish the mouth or head of worm first. Heard supers are known to bite!
MaiRemy, I'm with you, my guy just doesn't go for silkies. I can put them in and he will just leave them untouched even if it's his only option. He loves his crickets and blue bottle flies though! He only had a few meal worms the first week I had him as it was all that was available. Merlin will eat supers, but isn't too fond of them.
Thanks for the input though.

Haha lol, I didn't realize this thread was started over half a year ago :p
Haha yea, it's kind of been my logbook for Merlin and his progress. I've been keeping it since the day I got him, but haven't been as good about putting up pictures lately.

Make it a great day,

So I gave Merlin a nice long shower last night as I noticed he's started to shed again. I put up some pictures that show a little "perch" of sorts that I made with some scrap materials. Just drilled two holes in a 2x4 and a 12 and put two dowels through it and then nail gunned it together. Free and fast, but it works alright. He can now move closer or further from the spray as he chooses.
The third pic is oh him licking my hand, kind of hard to see, but I like when he does that as silly as it is.
The last picture is at lights out after a nice long bask to warm up after his shower.

Been working on the armoire enclosure too and its getting close to ready for Merlin to take over his new castle. He doesn't know it yet, but he's about to get a HUGE upgrade in housing!

Make it a great day everyone,

Attachments

• shower perch.JPG
    shower perch.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 167
  • shower perch2.JPG
    shower perch2.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 159
  • shower lick.JPG
    shower lick.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 197
  • bed time.jpg
    bed time.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 167
Can't get over how blue he is for an ambilobe, looks almost like a faly in the bedtime pic. Looking forward to seeing shots of him in the new home!

Can't get over how blue he is for an ambilobe, looks almost like a faly in the bedtime pic. Looking forward to seeing shots of him in the new home!
I know, I'm really surprised how blue he is right now too! He's been that blueish green for probably a month or so now. His colors seem to make minor changes with his sheds, so he may look different in a few days. I'm still hoping for the yellow/blue combo his dad Cowboy shows!!

MaiRemy, I'm with you, my guy just doesn't go for silkies. I can put them in and he will just leave them untouched even if it's his only option. He loves his crickets and blue bottle flies though! He only had a few meal worms the first week I had him as it was all that was available. Merlin will eat supers, but isn't too fond of them.
Thanks for the input though.

Have you given him hornworms?

So I had to upload these pictures because my Merlin is reminding me of the "Merlin" that was in the cartoon Sword In The Stone movie right now. He's gruff, grumpy and has no time for anyone's nonsense!!! haha :p

Attachments

• Grumpy.JPG
    Grumpy.JPG
    365.5 KB · Views: 178
  • Grumpy close up.JPG
    Grumpy close up.JPG
    386.2 KB · Views: 175
So it's been a while since I put up some pictures of Merlin, and he's still going strong! I'm about to go give him a nice big horn worm which are hands down his favorite! Hope everyone else is doing well!
post shower1 6-25-16.JPG
post shower 6-25-16.JPG

Back
Top Bottom