Cham won't eat

Jahnna64

Hello to the forums. I just set up my 7 month Panther chameleon in a new, much larger enclosure. He was very happy and ran around the cage excidly. The next day he started acting weird he sat in one spot and didn't really move around and he was not using the basking spot and when I feed him in the morning he usually runs up to the little bowl and starts eating right away, and when I use the tweezers and hand feed him he usually eats it right away. I am so scared because he won't eat at all and I'm finding dead crickets and super worms on the floor of the cage. Please help its been 2 days.

Hello. I would imagine it is just him trying to settle in. Moving a young cham, or any cham actually, is a sensitive time. They have to relearn their environment and it takes a while for them to feel secure in their new home. As long as his temp, lighting and general rules of husbandry are sound, I wouldn't worry too much. I would leave him alone and give him some time. Him running around the cage excitedly wasn't him being happy, it was more of a let me out of this weird place mood. He will settle in though. Kudos on the enclosure upgrade!

Hello to the forums. I just set up my 7 month Panther chameleon in a new, much larger enclosure. He was very happy and ran around the cage excidly. The next day he started acting weird he sat in one spot and didn't really move around and he was not using the basking spot and when I feed him in the morning he usually runs up to the little bowl and starts eating right away, and when I use the tweezers and hand feed him he usually eats it right away. I am so scared because he won't eat at all and I'm finding dead crickets and super worms on the floor of the cage. Please help its been 2 days.

Actually, he wasn't "happy" at the change, he was stressed. Showing brighter color and "running around" are signs of disturbance and disorientation. He'll definitely get over it and enjoy his new space...it will take time for him to explore and set claim on his new space. Chams are so visually oriented that changing just the look of their surroundings unnerves them.

My parents use to take a way privelages if I did not eat all my food! Have you tried this? Just take his TV away!!! Just joking! It is time for more variety! Honestly, something out there will wake up his appetite again! Teenagers of all tipes of creatures are just hard to deal with! Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom