Cham food...

Jaidensmomma

Ok so i took Karma to the vet today and he gave me some "food" stuff to give him. Its call Insectivore Fare made by Reliable Proteins. Has any one on here ever heard of it or used it?
It's supposed to contain al lot more of the nutrients and stuff they'd eat in the wild. The vet also told me to try to feed very little crix and instead switch to soft bodied foods like grubs and such. Opinions??

i never use "insectivore fare" b4, so i cannot say anything.
but, as far as soft bodied insects, silkworms are the best! much more nutritious than crickets too.

did a quick search and Insectivore-Fare seems to be formulated for hedgehogs, sugar gliders, other mammals and birds - not reptiles. If you look at the ingredients it has fish meal as one of the main ingredients and also has sugars. Personally, if I were to use a supplemental food (I am not sure what your chameleon's history is) I'd use Fluker's Repta-aid(the one for insectivore/carnivore. It is made for reptiles and has explicit instructions for specific needs (you can view those here: Instructions

granted, I am not a vet and you may want to get our resident forum vet's opinion, but I think others will agree. You should be able to get this at any local pet store for about $10 or from Fluker's directly (see above link).

Hope this helps you and your cham. Btw, they love the taste of this stuff so it is easy to administer, just follow the directions on how much to give.

One more tip - once you get your cham used to the yummy taste of the Repta-aid you did the back end of a silkie into a watery mix of it, dribble it onto chams mouth to get him to begin to lick and them place silkie on his tongue. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom