Ceramic heat emitter not pushing heat?

Kamikaze Chameleon

Avid Member
So i wasnt quite sure what was goin on today when i walked into his setup i saw my cham on the floor of his cage. He has looked up at me a few times and hasnt budged. He usually comes right to me. I assumed he was jusy tryin to cool down so i check his basking spot with the new zilla digital therm/hydrog.... i put it DIRECTILY under the emmiter and the max temp reads 69.6!!! Wtf this is not an OLD emmiter by any means,maybe a year the the most? I heard they last long thats why i got it... so now im all worried about his temps ON TOP of the issues he already has...? i took him to the vet on the 1st and she said he looked REALLY healthy and thought all of his issues were due to shed.... [i found this hard to belive due to the signs] she gave me drops for his eyes which i did for 2 weeks and gave him hot steamy showers for 20 mins a day for 2 weeks and slightly bumped up his mist sessions. His eye still looks EXACTLY the same so i guess im going to have to find a better herp vet....anybody have any input? I switched his supplements and his bulb has been chanhed over but i have yet to get him in the dragonstrand cuz im still in the build. ? appreciate you guys!

Sorry your cham still having issues

I would replace the CHE with some sort of incandescent or halogen bulb. CHE’s only produce far infrared heating (IRc). This only produces superficial warmth for your Cham. Incandescents and halogens produce near infrared (IRa and IRb). This causes deep tissue warming that allows the animal to fully warm their body even warming their blood which is carried around the body. CHEs are more useful for creating ambient heat if the enclosure is not warm enough
This article explains the differences very well.
https://www.reptifiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Why-Infrared-Matters-by-Roman-Muryn.pdf

Personally I do not like the heat emitters. We have seen some really bad thermal burns from them as well. Just use an incandescent bulb.

Per the eye... Find another vet if you were not happy with their feedback. I would not take him into a hot steamy shower though... This is not a good thing for them to breathe in hot moisture.

Personally I do not like the heat emitters. We have seen some really bad thermal burns from them as well. Just use an incandescent bulb.
If you’re not already, I think all heat sources should be on a dimming thermostat of some kind. This at least reduces the chance of burns. I use the herpstat 2 and I really like them

Im so upset the vet told me that! ??? I was under the assumption it was good for him, like fog... that probably just stressed the crap out of him then! Thanks for the help everyone i will change that out today. I was looking into the dimmer and i understand that can, in way recreate a natrualisic setting which changes in temps to create gradients! I might have to wait to get that cuz aren't they expensive? I originally got the CHE for winter time to keep his cage warm and produces no light so he can have it on at night[only at winter]

If you’re not already, I think all heat sources should be on a dimming thermostat of some kind. This at least reduces the chance of burns. I use the herpstat 2 and I really like them
Yeah I have the herpstat 2 as well. Love it.

Im so upset the vet told me that! ??? I was under the assumption it was good for him, like fog... that probably just stressed the crap out of him then! Thanks for the help everyone i will change that out today. I was looking into the dimmer and i understand that can, in way recreate a natrualisic setting which changes in temps to create gradients! I might have to wait to get that cuz aren't they expensive? I originally got the CHE for winter time to keep his cage warm and produces no light so he can have it on at night[only at winter]
How cold does your house get in winter? Most people keep their homes above 50-55 degrees which is why I ask. Really unless its that cold you don't want to add night time heat.

Vet is more important.

There are other thermostats out there too. Do some shopping around. I’ve used herpstats and one like the inkbird thermostats on amazon. I prefer the dimming feature of the herpstat vs on/off of the inkbird.

Yes still same eye issue, some day sleeping. I just ran to the store to get the bulb and he is off the floor and active! I feel better! Changing the bulb to zoomed basking spotlamp now. As my appartment SUCKS, its old,hes housed next to old windows with little to insulation/ seal so when winter hits it can get drafty. The heat is usually always off in the apt., if it is on its like a TRILLION degrees... i have NO control and it really blows Im trying to move out asap.

Seriously! ? i could care less about myself... Id MUCH rather him be comfrtoable than me but this building makes temp control nearly impossible! I never know when theyre going to turn the heat on. Even if the handles are entierly closed the radiators will just BLAST heat till whenever it is they decied to turn it off. I hate it???

Back
Top Bottom