Carpet Cham One Eye Closed

Just curious if these prices for the visit are the norm...this my first vet visit ever lol

Exam Diagnostic 82
Vitamin A, D3, E Injection 45
Tobramycin Drops 16.35

Generally yes, my vet for a first visit with any new animal cost around 90 dollars, the vitamin injections at my place usually cost less, more around 25-30. The drops are definitely a normal price from what I've experienced.

So heres an update...Just got back from the vet... he gained 1 gram since the other visit...from 16 to 17 grams lol...Vet gave him his 2nd(and last) Vit A, D3, E shot...he also started him on an antibiotic regimen - Enrofloxacin (Baytril)...he(the vet) wants to treat it as an infection...going back sat morning.

what about a panther or a veiled with vision issues? im pretty sure if it was vit A issues ive been told that they would get the same treatment. ive also seen to give them only a drop on a feeder like every week. why does a carpet cham which is much smaller require such a big dose? im learning vitamin A, so please correct me if im misinformed. thanks.
Generally speaking, most vitamins are only absorbed to the point that the body needs. Any excess is excreted through urine, feces, and sweat. So the amount given is really irrelevant to specific body size.

Angelwolf said..."Generally speaking, most vitamins are only absorbed to the point that the body needs. Any excess is excreted through urine, feces, and sweat. So the amount given is really irrelevant to specific body size."..... Fat soluble vitamins like vitamin A and vitamin D3 when from supplements can build up in the system though...and both can affect calcium levels from what I understand.

Last edited:
Angelwolf said..."Generally speaking, most vitamins are only absorbed to the point that the body needs. Any excess is excreted through urine, feces, and sweat. So the amount given is really irrelevant to specific body size."fat soluble vitamins like vitamin A and vitamin D3 when from supplements can build up in the system though...and both can affect calcium levels from what I understand.
Yes, and possibly due to the fact that Chams don't sweat, so this could have something to do with it. Also, of course, we are trying to simulate their natural environment with simulated sources, like UVB lights, artificial supplements, etc. However, compared to only a short time ago, we have learned SO much about chameleons and their husbandry and requirements. So hopefully, we will soon have a better answer for your original question. (y)

Water soluble vitamins are excreted through sweat which is water. We don't sweat out fat. How do we sweat out fat soluble vitamins when they aren't water soluble?

The question was..."why does a carpet cham which is much smaller require such a big dose?"....since fat soluble vitamins can be overdosed IMHO the size does matter.

Last edited:
Had another follow up visit today...along with another shot of antibiotics...between the shots and the construction in the house, hes totally stressed out...his coloring usually gets very light green when hes sleeping...past few days hes been very dark brown, almost black all night...poor fella

Had another follow-up today and his last injection of antibiotics...wants me to keep an eye on it and call him in a week. He said there may be a different antibiotic they'll have to try...IMO I think this is just something that developed in his body and will have to live with...so far hasn't affected his appetite or movements.

So an update on Mr. Barrow...hi eye was getting worse, swollen pretty good...took him back to the vet again today and even the doc was surprised how big it got...took his weight...went from 17g to 21g so hes def gained weight...I knew this wouldn't be an issue cause he eats like a pig and just shed again 2 days ago...anywho...doc said he used a tiny instrument to open up his eyelid, once he did that said a lot of fluid drained out. .Gave him a different kind of antibiotic shot (Ceftazadime) and gave me Ciprofloxacin drops to admin 3x daily.

Before

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3uttsbgZ2r_R0VLa193TnZpSXc

After

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3uttsbgZ2r_dGxqMjR0dmc3NFU

Back
Top Bottom