Can Jacksons cohabitate?

tglassburner

Can Jacksons cohabitate? If so for how long?

I'm only asking because I found the following ad:

I have 2 small jackson chameleons and their 10 gallon setup. It comes with everything you need except the stand. There will be 2 baby chameleons, some decorations, screen lid, 10 gallon tank, misting bottle, special uv light with fixture and heat lamp.

Can Jacksons cohabitate? If so for how long?

I'm only asking because I found the following ad:

I have 2 small jackson chameleons and their 10 gallon setup. It comes with everything you need except the stand. There will be 2 baby chameleons, some decorations, screen lid, 10 gallon tank, misting bottle, special uv light with fixture and heat lamp.

I believe Jacksons do a tad better than other chameleons living together. I'm sure I've read of experts keeping males and females together. I wouldn't recommend it for someone new to chameleons, or really anyone who isn't very experienced.

Regardless, a 10 gallon set up is way too small for anything but very young babies and maybe not even that...if you are considering rescuing them, that would be very humane of you. If you do it, have two cages for them.

I've actually seen a male and female pair of jackson's at a zoo before in one enclosure. Both seemed to be permanent residents of the enclosure, and both were happy.

Based on what I've seen posted here, experts can keep them together.

I'll just hope that any zoo qualifies as "expert".

However, I strongly feel that this is "expert territory".

I wouldn't keep them together.
The female in particular will become very stressed with this arrangement.
At 2 months old it is fine (in my experience and opinion) but I would seriously consider separating them at 6 months old.
They are both the same age .... are they siblings?
2 months old is still in the danger zone for this species, keep them on a large live plant in a screened enclosure with a minimum of two mistings a day.
At 5 to 6 months you should be out of the woods and, again, at this point they should be separated.

-Brad

Based on what I've seen posted here, experts can keep them together.

I don't know any experts that house males and females together.
Females can be housed in small groups as long as they are closely monitored and separated if there are any signs of stress or aggression.

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom