Can I use this 1 bulb to replace both basking & UVB bulbs?

I see. Well being that it is temporary, If you can move the cage outside for a few hours a day would work.
Other wise an MV bulb could be used. I started using ExoTerra they are cheaper, but don’t last, so good for your situation.
Follow the distance charts for it, and you will be fine. Just make sure it is not too close to the mesh.

But for this application I think it is a viable option.
Could you send me a link tot eh MV bulb? Just want to ensure I get the right one.

THX. Now I'm very intrigued.

If you could count on the weather, you might not even need a UVB for that length of time.
I can't find the reference, but allegedly an hour of natural sun is the equivalent of a much greater number of hours under artificial UVB.

Then again, I've lived in New England... :rolleyes:
Now that would be the ultimate life hack! I'll have them as backup just in case and will post a final photo once it's up and done. We're headed to Boothbay Harbor, Maine so usually there's sun and humidity, although the weather does turn quickly and varies day to day in summer.

Understood. However you have a completely open enclosure and your *Chameleons? never decide it's adventure time?
Could you send me a link tot eh MV bulb? Just want to ensure I get the right one.

Like I say these are not the best, but they will last at least a month.

OH OH OH Important. Mercury Vapor bulbs are touchy. People think they burn out, but they will not light up if already hot, the must cool down. So if you turn it off you need to wait about a half hour to turn it back on. Once it is set up don't mess with it too much especial when on, when hot the filament is very delicate.

https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...ra-solar-glo-sun-simulating-bulb-5254726.html

Now that would be the ultimate life hack! I'll have them as backup just in case and will post a final photo once it's up and done. We're headed to Boothbay Harbor, Maine so usually there's sun and humidity, although the weather does turn quickly and varies day to day in summer.
Oh I’m jealous! I love love love Maine!
**grumble grumble...Florida sucks...grumble...

Understood. However you have a completely open enclosure and your *Chameleons? never decide it's adventure time?

So that is actually part of what I was looking at when I set these up.

Female: Only wanders when looking to lay eggs. Otherwise she is quite happy in her temperate forest.
Male: More prone to wonder, as one may expect. Though his wanderings only take him across the high ground, he will go down to get to another part of the room very rarely, but he will do it.

Too clarify. There are risks with keeping them this way. That can not be ignored. These are in separate rooms, that stay closed. Further I work from home so I am able to keep an eye on them.
But my male has still been injured by my parrot. I do not suggest everybody keep this way.
As to what can go wrong https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/injured-chameleon-a-case-study.173892/

I have seen a lot of interesting behavior.

THX. Now I'm very intrigued.

If you could count on the weather, you might not even need a UVB for that length of time.
I can't find the reference, but allegedly an hour of natural sun is the equivalent of a much greater number of hours under artificial UVB.

Then again, I've lived in New England... :rolleyes:

Outside is an option, but they would need a min of 3 hours, prefer to 6 hours a day for proper long term health.

Personally I would not use a 2 in 1 bulb without having a solarmeter 6.5 to double check your UVI level. You want no higher then a 3 UVI at basking. Higher risk of over exposure without a solarmeter to make sure with your distance. and you really need to watch your distance for temps. They can get burned with these as well.

I will for sure, there are nice sunny spots around the house by the bay, and it gets humid so hoping this works for him.

Most husbandry problems are more long term. Imports go with nothing for a month (not suggesting this). Caring for him the way you are he should be fine.

Watch for unexpected dangers, like do they have a cat, little kids. Things you may not have to deal with at home.

Most husbandry problems are more long term. Imports go with nothing for a month (not suggesting this). Caring for him the way you are he should be fine.

Watch for unexpected dangers, like do they have a cat, little kids. Things you may not have to deal with at home.
Perfect, will do, you've been super helpful! No cats, no small kids, just me, my husband and my M-I-L so should be good to go!

Personally I would not use a 2 in 1 bulb without having a solarmeter 6.5 to double check your UVI level. You want no higher then a 3 UVI at basking. Higher risk of over exposure without a solarmeter to make sure with your distance. and you really need to watch your distance for temps. They can get burned with these as well.
[/QUOTE]
Just bought the solar meter 6.5r to ensure both levels are just so!

[/QUOTE]

Well now I am jealous lol, That is my next buy.

Had to have that picture of the reptile, eh? ?

The 6.5 and 6.5R are exactly the same except for the picture of the reptile; it's a marketing ploy.
I've seen both for less than the other at different times (sales).

It's a good unit though; I have one. :)

Had to have that picture of the reptile, eh? ?

The 6.5 and 6.5R are exactly the same except for the picture of the reptile; it's a marketing ploy.
I've seen both for less than the other at different times (sales).

It's a good unit though; I have one. :)
Oh for sure, one was more expensive than the other so went with the cheaper one. Why are these things so pricey?

Oh for sure, one was more expensive than the other so went with the cheaper one. Why are these things so pricey?
Cuz you don't have to do the math anymore(?) Patent?
I'd try to explain how they used to work, but I'd mess it up. I got mine less than a year ago.
I've read that this way is much easier.

Hobbies ain't cheap; they're ALL money-pits.

Back
Top Bottom