Should we be focusing our basking bulbs directly under the UVB light?

Mendez

Chameleon Enthusiast
I was reading around on Reptiles Magazine about lighting and they state "UVB, UVA, visible light and heat go together. Because vitamin D3 synthesis in reptiles occurs only in warm skin exposed to UVB, ideally a UVB lamp needs to be over the basking area. Pairing the UVB source with the basking lamp is always a winning combination" (Reptiles Magazine, 2013). I know that UVB and heat in the "Wild" are paired together (by the sun). And by reading this article, I see that heat is necessary for D3 synthesis. In many cage builds I see today, we have one branch for the heat (under the basking light) and another branch that is lined up under the linear uvb bulb. (I could be wrong) but we have essentially split up the D3 process to happen at different times. The first process is heating up under the basking light in the morning, and the second process happens when the cham moves from the basking bulb to the uvb. Sure, when they first enter the uvb zone, they are still warm. But would we see greater benefits by pairing uvb and heat together? Such as angling the uvb lamp or incandescent/halogen/basking bulb such that there is a singular basking area where uvb and heat paired together?

Reptiles Magazine Article: https://www.reptilesmagazine.com/reptile-lighting-information/
Diagram of D3 synthesis process: https://www.arcadiareptile.com/d3-cycle/

I am definitely not an expert, nor am I really familiar with the topic. Thoughts on the topic? Has anybody tried creating one basking spot where uvb and heat are focused on one area? I have a uvb meter so I might as well try to angle the uvb fixture.

(additionally, sorry if this post doesn't make any sense--my brain is figuratively dead from studying for my upcoming final exams)

@JacksJill and @jamest0o0 What do you use to angle the basking bulb? Pictures would definitely help me and others like me. Or if others have ideas, feel free to chime in with how you manage to angle your basking bulb to hit the same spot as the uvb.

Interesting, I will have to look into that. I have several wire hangers so I'm definitely liking this idea lol! Looking forward to seeing a pic when you can get one.

Or if others have ideas, feel free to chime in with how you manage to angle your basking bulb to hit the same spot as the uvb.

Think: gradients

First, many/most keepers these days use a linear T5HO for UV-B that extends the width of the enclosure. That's the easy part.

Basking lamp can now be placed above the basking perch.

I believe in providing gradients (choices) for both kinds of lights.

A gradient for the UV-B can be provided by:
  • mounting the T5 fixture at an angle (vertically)
  • mounting the basking perch at an angle under the UV-B
Gradient for the basking lamp can be provided by mounting the fixture at an angle above the basking perch. In my beardie enclosure, I did this by using an aim-able recessed floodlight fixture.
1607869148938.png

In my chameleon enclosure, I'm (currently) using a bell fixture that's angled above & across the basking perch.
1607869526269.png

It's hard to see in the (immediately) above pic, but the back slat that supports the fixture is a couple inches taller than the front slat.

In both/either enclosure(s), UVI & basking areas overlap. The inhabitant(s) can choose the basking conditions desired (e.g. greater heat with lower UVI, vice versa, or anywhere in-between). There are also "shaded" areas where either inhabitant can get out of either or both lights entirely.

WOW! @Klyde O'Scope thanks for the amazing info. Those diagrams are perfect--your beardie setup is amazing! I ended up tilting my basking light towards the uvb this morning and he (my cham) seems to be enjoying it a lot better (he seems more relaxed--could just be my imagination tho). He now has gradients to choose from (like you said). He can sit in one spot and be under the uvb and basking, or he can move to the left and just be under the uvb with some residual heat flowing from the basking bulb, or he can go to the far left and have uvb and no basking bulb. He has a lot of choices that I would say are more natural than the two branch system where basking and uvb are kept separate. I am glad I could correct my husbandry to be even better than it was before. All about that continuous improvement.

I place my uvb lamp along the front of the enclosure angled towards the back. This gives me the best coverage and prefect numbers at basking. This is where a Solarmeter really comes in handy.

Definitely, I can't imagine my life without a solarmeter, especially when experimenting with light positions.

Back
Top Bottom