Can I use this 1 bulb to replace both basking & UVB bulbs?

BrittBepler

Can this 1 bulb (REPTI ZOO Reptile Heat Lamp Full Spectrum UVA UVB Reptile Sun Lamp Self-Ballasted Vapor Basking Spot Lamp/Bulb/Light) replace both the basking bulb and UVB bulb? If so, how high (in inches) do I suspend it from the top of his back? It would only be for about 1 month (while my Cham is in his temporary enclosure). If it canbe used to replace both bulbs, what watt do I get. I have an ambilobe male panther chameleon, 9-10 months old.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CXL3C6...ref_=pd_luc_rh_ci_mcx_mr_huc_d_02_04_t_img_lh

My general questionnaire was filled out and posted here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/new-member-cham-owner-please-rate-my-setup.175424/page-2

I'd avoid these bulbs, I was sold one of these as a basking bulb and it rendered my Chameleon blind and he had awful thermal burns. I cannot stress how delicate/important lighting is with these guys. Those bulbs are meant for desert reps like beardies... if cost is an issue a simple dome fixture with a basking bulb and coil UVB bulb would be better as a short term fix if its only for a month and you cannot afford a proper set up... (my opinion)

I use megaRay. There are many UVB tests done on it and they are pretty consistent.

they do need too be set up right. Not directly above, but at a 45 degree angle. This is why they aren’t good for standard size cages..
They are best for larger enclosures.

I have 2 veiled, I have only used MV bulbs. They have grown up under them.
They have done very well. My female has laid 3 clutches with no issues. I run light on my D3, usually only dusting one feeder no all in those feedings.

So, what is your goal. If it is too save money up front, it is not really cheaper as the good bulbs are still $50. A T5HO plus bulb will end up around the same.

If you are not setting up a very large area, it is not the best choice.
Further as was kind of mentioned, your basking spot will run 90. That may be high for panther.

This is literally the bulb that burned all the dorsal spines off my boy and eventually cooked his little eyes as well, and it wasn’t an inch above him either! I have a veiled but imo a basking spot should be no more than 85 ... pardon me if I’m asking redundant questions but what’s your existing setup?

Attachments

• 6CB943FE-A75F-437E-8DD8-844CA2B200DF.jpeg
    6CB943FE-A75F-437E-8DD8-844CA2B200DF.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 127
This is literally the bulb that burned all the dorsal spines off my boy and eventually cooked his little eyes as well, and it wasn’t an inch above him either! I have a veiled but imo a basking spot should be no more than 85 ... pardon me if I’m asking redundant questions but what’s your existing setup?

That is not a MV bulb. It is intense heat. Totally different.
On the 85. I agree. That is why I mentioned it. It is high, but regular T5 tube type would not work for me. I have open enclosures. This allows me to place the builds further back.
The set up is such that it covers ranges over the basking. They can get to the 90 spot, but they have only one place at that temp.
3E9580AF-0B29-458B-8815-14D808745810.jpeg 69956502-1F81-4DAE-8E23-E8CD4E3E8266.jpeg C6C90388-5383-4DC9-804E-68437D0B94CF.jpeg

On the 85. I agree. That is why I mentioned it. It is high, but regular T5 tube type would not work for me. I have open enclosures. This allows me to place the builds further back.
The set up is such that it covers ranges over the basking. They can get to the 90 spot, but they have only one place at that temp.
View attachment 268572View attachment 268570View attachment 268571

Well look at that... snazzy.

My cat would royally mess ALL of that up LOL ... sorry ... carry on ;)

View attachment 268572View attachment 268570View attachment 268571
Amazing set up! How do you deal with drainage?

As several folks have already noted in different ways, getting lighting correct is a challenging balancing act, to say the least.

I'd bite the bullet, and get a T5 fluorescent tube (Reptisun or Arcadia) for UVB.
The basking part is easy—a household incandescent should work fine. :)

I use megaRay. There are many UVB tests done on it and they are pretty consistent.

they do need too be set up right. Not directly above, but at a 45 degree angle. This is why they aren’t good for standard size cages..
They are best for larger enclosures.

I have 2 veiled, I have only used MV bulbs. They have grown up under them.
They have done very well. My female has laid 3 clutches with no issues. I run light on my D3, usually only dusting one feeder no all in those feedings.

So, what is your goal. If it is too save money up front, it is not really cheaper as the good bulbs are still $50. A T5HO plus bulb will end up around the same.

If you are not setting up a very large area, it is not the best choice.
Further as was kind of mentioned, your basking spot will run 90. That may be high for panther.
Money isn't a factor for this, I'm happy to buy whatever is needed to get it right, but I have a totally different temporary enclosure setup coming since we're driving 12 hours up to Maine and will be there for a month and I can't take his usually 2'x2'x4' cage, so I'm getting a pop open butterfly enclosure that is still 4' high and 2.5' x2.5' but the problem is the current 2 lights I have will be difficult to mount atop this pop up cage, and was hoping I could do the light clamps on the stand it will be hanging from instead.

I'm getting a pop open butterfly enclosure that is still 4' high and 2.5' x2.5' but the problem is the current 2 lights I have will be difficult to mount atop this pop up cage, and was hoping I could do the light clamps on the stand it will be hanging from instead.
Got a pic or link to this cage? I'm intrigued. :unsure:

Yes! It's been a bit of a McGyver adventure to try and get something, customize it, fit it in our relatively small car, set it up quickly when we arrive into Maine around dinner time (which means I won't be able to spend hours building something). So essentially, I'm trying to do a test run and disassemble what I can when fitting it into the car. My lil guy will be snug in a box to sleep the ride up.

Using this as the main enclosure: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WLWY7LW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 OR this (bought both to test out): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VPF6VFL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Using this bird cage stand/rack to hang it from (can adjust it and likely will make it 48" tall so the bottom of the enclosure sits enough on the ground to ease any tension caused by the weight of what's going inside): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AXGNQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Using a ton of bendable branches and hot gluing magnets onto them and then onto the enclosure to do an "easy" setup and placement of them.
Lights: will keep using my normal basking bulb and will clamp it to the top of the stand. Then I will hot glue magnets to the top of the UVB long fixture hood and then magnets under the top of the pole for the ability to suspend the tube along the top of the cage.
Water: will affix 1-2 large drippers to hang from the top of the stand, plus several manual hand mistings throughout the day (sad I can't do my mistking setup easily on this): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q12PNFR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Using this to catch thigns at the bottom and to give it a bit more sturdiness: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055F5T7E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Plants: will put a fake long dripper plant on one side hanging from top, and a large Scheffelera plant sitting on the bottom reaching all the way up the length of the enclosure.

Money isn't a factor for this, I'm happy to buy whatever is needed to get it right, but I have a totally different temporary enclosure setup coming since we're driving 12 hours up to Maine and will be there for a month and I can't take his usually 2'x2'x4' cage, so I'm getting a pop open butterfly enclosure that is still 4' high and 2.5' x2.5' but the problem is the current 2 lights I have will be difficult to mount atop this pop up cage, and was hoping I could do the light clamps on the stand it will be hanging from instead.

I see. Well being that it is temporary, If you can move the cage outside for a few hours a day would work.
Other wise an MV bulb could be used. I started using ExoTerra they are cheaper, but don’t last, so good for your situation.
Follow the distance charts for it, and you will be fine. Just make sure it is not too close to the mesh.

But for this application I think it is a viable option.

I see. Well being that it is temporary, If you can move the cage outside for a few hours a day would work.
Other wise an MV bulb could be used. I started using ExoTerra they are cheaper, but don’t last, so good for your situation.
Follow the distance charts for it, and you will be fine. Just make sure it is not too close to the mesh.

But for this application I think it is a viable option.
I will for sure, there are nice sunny spots around the house by the bay, and it gets humid so hoping this works for him.

Back
Top Bottom